tlovelace1234

Exterior update to a boring ranch

Terra Terra L
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

We are wanting to update the look of this stucco yellow ranch house. This house is across the street from the beach so we want to keep the bright yellow color. We are planning to replace the windows and update the shutters In hopes to improve curb appeal. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Comments (19)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

Get rid of the overgrowth in front so you can actually see the porch get rid of the shutters they are wrong for those windows and get windows with no grids put some plants along the walkway and a new front door with some glass ,Some more comfy looking porch furniture really colorful

• Terra Terra L
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I agree I don’t like the grid windows. Would you replace the shutters with a different style? Thinking a large picture window to replace the windows on the front porch?

• Terra Terra L
    Original Author
    4 years ago

You can see the ocean from the front porch. Maybe a hanging porch swing?

• Sammie J
    4 years ago

I would actually do a different color than yellow - I don't think it goes with your soft grey roof. Colors like this might be nice:

• Terra Terra L
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you for your input.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    4 years ago

I like the yellow, although I agree the pairing with the roof color isn't quite right.

My first thought was to beef up the columns a little, perhaps remove the far right one (the one with house numbers) and replace it with a half-wrap column on the corner.

I don't know which shutters would be "right", or what exactly is wrong with those. Wouldn't shutters on a vintage beach house be either louvered, or storm shutters? If you choose to replace the windows, see about getting a nice wider brick mold around them, and trial leaving off the shutters. If you don't like it (depending on what style of window, some just don't work with shutters!), you can always put shutters back on.

I am wondering if painting them, and the rest of the trim, a warm, light gray would work with both the yellow and the roof. I think they need a color to look a bit more substantial with the yellow.

Here is a link that may be helpful:
    windows for ranch homes

ETA: I agree, I would remove most of the heavy shrubbery, and work toward a more open sort of landscape.

• Terra Terra L
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you!!

• ShadyWillowFarm
    4 years ago

Paint the shutters and railing and posts a light blue. Cute house!!

Terra Terra L thanked ShadyWillowFarm
  • Terra Terra L
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I love that bright color. Looks more like a beach house.

• Denita
    4 years ago

Shutters:

Brief article on what doesn't work: https://www.lifeofanarchitect.com/residential-architecture-101-shutters/

I think these shutters below would look terrific on your home - sized right and with appropriate hardware so they look functional even if they aren't.

The Moorings · More Info

Terra Terra L thanked Denita
  • Denita
    4 years ago

I agree 100% with the others that mentioned changing out your landscaping to something more airy and not so barrier-ish. Consider posting in the landscape forum here for ideas. There are some awesome posters there for landscaping.

• Terra Terra L
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you so much! love the shutters you posted.

• Renee
    4 years ago

I would go with a more lemon yellow paint on the house. Paint the brick porch grey or pave it and the walkway . No shutters. Change out the landscaping. New lighting fixtures and fan in dark grey or black. Add a fun plaque (colorful tiles coordinating with house and door colors?) on the wall between the post and the window with house numbers to fill in that space.

• Terra Terra L
    Original Author
    4 years ago

This is very helpful!

• tangerinedoor
    4 years ago

I looove that house. That yellow shade included. Those windows with the grid have a beach cottage vibe. I sure wouldn't replace them.

Forget about changing the roof color: just put solar panels up there. Your electricity will pay for itself.

The landscape needs work, though, to make it interesting. I think I would live in the house for a year or so and listen to what it says it wants. Maybe it could use a renovated bathroom or something else in the meantime?

• Kendrah
    4 years ago

I think the colors are great. Work on the landscaping and hang a porch swing. Then live with it for a while and decide what to do with windows and shutters.

• PRO
    Timberlane Shutters
    4 years ago

You can never go wrong updating exterior shutters or even incorporating a different style than before. Here are a few photos of our customers who added custom shutters to their home to boost curb appeal!

• tangerinedoor
    4 years ago

If I were doing shutters for those windows, I'd probably want the kind that are two-paneled on each side, with a hinge. This is not a colonial!

Sponsored