amy_tabor

Attack of the honey oak!!!

Amy Eberhardt
4 years ago

Hi! We bought a new house and I’m so torn because I fee like the stairs are kind of a focal point, but I HATE all of the honey oak! Help! Paint? Stain? I’m hoping to achieve a craftsman like interior to match the exterior. And we’re thinking white door, baseboard and windows trim. Do we go with white stairs too?
I’d love to hear any and all of your ideas!

Comments (22)

• njmomma
    4 years ago

Can you post a picture of the exterior?

• PRO
    Barbara Griffith Designs
    4 years ago

If you are looking for a Craftsman look, those spindles are anything but. I would replace them. Same goes for the baseboards as they are definitely not Craftsman.

• njmomma
    4 years ago

@Barbara Griffith Designs I was thinking the same. That is why I asked to see the exterior of the home.

• PRO
    Barbara Griffith Designs
    4 years ago

It would be more important to see what type of furnishings interest them.

• Amy Eberhardt
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I’ve cleaned up the landscaping a bit since this one, but here’s the outside

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

There's nothing craftsman about any of it. Exterior, or interior : ) It's suburban hybrid cottage with a contemporary interior..

• Amy Eberhardt
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Here are some inspiration photos that I’ve liked for this house..
    large, simple baseboards
    Wainscoting
    Similar colored wood floors with white kitchen cabinets are soon to come
    Turning the dining room to a creative, home office and I just love that pottery barn bedroom :)

• Amy Eberhardt
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><md>Well, I guess I need more help than I thought in that case
  • cat_ky
    4 years ago

I like the idea of larger baseboards, but, I love the honey oak trim and stairway, and I wouldnt be changing them. No pictures of your actual kitchen to give any kind of opinion on that. It looks to be a beautiful house, just the way it is.

• shead
    4 years ago

You're not going to want to hear this but the exterior is not craftsman. Jan nailed it in her description above. However, I understand the desire to update the interior especially the stair railings. However, the house is going to take much more than that. The round columns, the arched niche, and the honey oak cabinets and trim probably should all go (and the carpet). Simply changing out the railing is not going to do for the space what you think it will.

What you need right now is a plan and some guidance so that you don't end up making mistakes. Take it slowly if you have to but have an overarching vision of what you want that is suitable to the house as a whole. Have you considered engaging a designer?

• J Williams
    4 years ago

No way is that craftsman, craftsman houses of a good quality have totally different proportions and materials.

• Amy Eberhardt
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yep! That’s exactly my plan. Husband loves carpentry so he’s eager to begin once we wrap our heads around a plan of attack for the interior. I guess I’m stroll coming up with what I am hoping to achieve and prioritize what will have the largest impact so we can start there. This is part of my pre-designer information gathering phase!! We engaged someone on our last house and it helped a lot.

• J Williams
    4 years ago

I think you are using traditional and craftsman as if they are synonymous. If you have ever looked at untouched craftsman interiors, they feature a ton of wood everywhere, built ins, windows, doors, floors, walls, and the ceiling would not be as high nor would you have an open plan, and the stair spindles, newel post would be very different, you’d see tiled fireplaces with built in shelving. If they couldn’t,t get the real expensive wood they would faux finish it in. There were a lot of earthy colours, and botanical print wall papers, lots of wood furniture. Taller baseboard will help rooms with extra tall ceilings, our 1910 house which is by no means a nice, deluxe home, had baseboards that were easily a foot high, similarly, each door has wide trim framing it, the door knobs were brass and glass. Our side window over the stairs would have been stained glass, a common feature of the era. We also have 4 bay windows, two are stacked on the side, one is upstairs. Because this was a worker type tract house, it never got the built ins and panelling, or nice fireplace that better homes would have. Also fully outfitted kitchens with built in cabinets were not common place I suspect, this house did not have proper cabinets and still retains the chimney for a coal or wood stove back and front, but again, this was a very economically constructed place as I mentioned.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago

Nope.......................: ) Embrace what you HAVE. You can spend a million in disappointing results if you don't

• housegal200
    4 years ago

You have no furniture in there, which is why the oak stands out. Forget the idea of grafting on Craftsman details since this is about as far from Craftsman as you can get. What you want is to avoid 'remuddling," mixing two styles and coming up with a confused mess. Paint the spindles white, but leave the rest of the oak for color and texture and since you have it all over anyway.

Case Design/Remodeling, Inc. · More Info

Quiet Casual Home: Entryway and Stair · More Info

Since you're considering some major alterations, then you must have the budget for art, rugs, window treatments, and some interesting pieces of furniture. You have oversized walls. Consider staring with bold, oversized art for those walls--in a palette that will work with all the trim you have, the gray/ivory rug/the staircase. Put art over the fireplace.

We don't know your taste, but palettes like this would make the most of your soaring space. Dramatic art (and lighting and rugs) pull the eye away from problem areas like your staircase, which isn't really that horrible. So what can you embrace: big space, light, big windows, and yes some of the wood trim for texture and color. Choose great big art and well designed modern furniture. See below.

"Crossline" Large Contemporary Original Art · More Info

Industrial II Fine Art Giant Canvas Print, Black, Beige, 54"X54" · More Info

"Gold Leaves." Original Artwork By Kanayo Ede · More Info

Keep the furnishings simple but with great lines. (Remove the valences over the big windows)

The Great White Barn · More Info

Organic Modern · More Info

Master Bedroom · More Info

• Lidia
    4 years ago

Get craftsman out of your head and embrace that adorable home you have! Change up the spindles and paint...make those 4 windows flanking the fireplace look like two tall windows, update the fireplace and spend your dough on making that kitchen a jewel Box! If you don’t have 3 cars, take that cute one car brick spot and open it up to a covered porch, did phantom mechanical screen where the door is. I see your house as having the potential of those character rich Atlanta Buckhead homes. Congrats on the new gorgeous space you have,,,just make it your own.

• housegal200
    4 years ago

Consider redirecting the budget you would spend on baseboards, staircase changes, and more, and hire an interior decorator with a specialties in modern furnishing and art selection. Work with that person to make the most of your light, airy space instead of trying to change your house into something it will never be. There are so many interesting ways excellent interior design can take the focus off features you're not crazy about.

• lindastein
    4 years ago

following...

• rnonwheels
    4 years ago

Just some inspiration-

modern craftsman interior decorating - Google Search · More Info

Sponsored