dr_jayr_aguda

Uneven Ceilings Hide with Faux Beams?

Dr. Jay R Aguda
4 years ago

Hello everyone! We are doing a home remodel and we are opening up our space to an open concept. We discovered today that the rafter sizes in 3 sections of the house that will now be once big section are different sizes, leading to what could potentially be (if we did nothing), 3 ceiling heights. Note that this is a vaulted ceiling across the entire space.

The contractor recommends we demo the existing ceilings, extend the rafters, and re-insulate to bring them to the same height. However this might be cost prohibitive.

Saw some ideas online about hiding this defect using exposed decorative faux beams on the seams to hide the flaw. What are people's take? Has anyone done this? Is this a dumb idea? What questions should we be asking?

Comments (5)

• PRO
    Diane Plesset, CMKBD, NCIDQ, C.A.P.S.
    4 years ago

It's not a dumb idea, but I suggest that you think about your goals. Do you want a quick and inexpensive fix? Do you want something that's going to pass the time test, i.e., more than five years? Faux beams could solve your problem, but they could also call attention to the problem if they look "faux," i.e., don't fit with your home's architecture or structural layout. You may need to consult with a professional designer for input, to help you make informed decisions about what to do. Good luck!

Dr. Jay R Aguda thanked Diane Plesset, CMKBD, NCIDQ, C.A.P.S.
  • ci_lantro
    4 years ago

Are there any other reasons that taking down the ceiling would make some sense, like electrical work, lighting, HVAC?

Could some or all of the disparity be addressed by adding strapping & another layer of drywall?

• jslazart
    4 years ago

I'm not convinced faux beams are significantly less expensive than rebuilding the ceiling, particularly in the scheme of what sounds like a pretty major remodel. How deep are the rafters in each area? What type of insulation do you currently have and what would you be installing? How big of an area are we talking about?

Dr. Jay R Aguda thanked jslazart
  • PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    4 years ago

Some photos of the area in question would be helpful for everyone to give you better advice.

• Dr. Jay R Aguda
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@jslazart the contractor says it's 2 inches difference. Not sure what the insulation is yet. @ci_lantro great idea -- the new section was to have some recessed lamps pointing down, if they do redo the ceiling we can ask them to include the same lighting throughout the entirety now that there is access. I will ask about another layer of drywall to see if that's a possibility. Thanks everyone!

Sponsored