carii

Cabinetry brand for rift oak slab cabinets

carii
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hi all,

I'm looking for a reasonably-priced cabinetry brand that makes rift sawn white oak cabinets. I would like a slightly whiter/more neutral finish, and prefer a brand that does grain matching. I've already checked out Mod Cabinetry (too yellow) and Barker Modern and Barker Cabinets. Ideally something along the lines of these photos:

Martis Camp Calm · More Info

Comments (44)

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    5 years ago

You will mainly see these in expensive, high-end cabinets. A line that is a bit more reasonably priced is the "Eclipse" line made by Shiloh. They are frameless, european-style cabinets and they do something similar. Your "inspiration" photos are in a custom $2million house so I'm sure these are VERY expensive cabinets. They're lovely!

• User
    5 years ago

Upper end products do not come at “reasonable” prices. That is part of what makes them upper end choices. They are expensive choices. If you want a “reasonably priced” oak, that will be the cathedral grained flat sawn orangey oak available everywhere.

Or or look at laminate. Lots of laminates out there that can look like almost any wood. They aren’t inexpensive either. Not when combined with frameless. Frameless is s much more expensive choice than framed. Americans have prejudices against it which keep it from being a common choice.

• Julie B.
    5 years ago

Our rift-sawn white oak cabinets are from Canyon Creek out of Monroe, Washington. They’re frameless and weren’t out of reach, price-wise.

https://www.canyoncreek.com/

• jdesign_gw
    5 years ago

Euro white oak is a bit less yellow. That's only

what we use. The finish has a lot to do with it also. We use a very neutral also European (Italian) finish to keep the natural look and not go toward yellow. Hard to tell from a photo could be the lighting, a super light pre-bleaching or someone who knew what they were doing like I mentioned above.

This is Euro rift white oak veneer.

• Pam A
    4 years ago

I found a local cabinet company that was able to make reasonably priced cabinets for my kitchen with quartersawn white oak (riftsawn was an option). The finish you are looking for is tough to achieve, be prepared for a few rounds of test samples to check in your light at home. Oak can pull yellow and pink (even white oak can pull pink sometimes). Think about the sheen level you want as well, even that plays a part. The mattifying agents used to get a satin or flat finish can help diffuse the yellow tones so they arent as visible. But if you love gloss, thats just another thing to watch out for.

I went with a very thin warm gray stain, it squelched the yellow and reads a cool brown now. It is different than I hoped for (we were aiming for a finish like your inspiration) but after removing golden oak it was more important to avoid yellow than achieve the paler finish. Their paler options all skewed pink (which was a NO for me) and clear coat pulled yellow (because this is oak). This is mid reno, we are still working on electrical but might get final inspections completed this week (SO close).

• M Miller
    4 years ago

The OP mentions grain matching. The OP’s photos also show grain-matched rift oak veneer across all the cabinets, horizontally and vertically That will add exponentially to the cost. I don’t think the OP can obtain what she wants with “reasonablly priced cabinetry”. Though I wish the OP could say what her budget is. “Reasonably priced” for one person could mean $20k, and for another $70k.

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

why do you think people are willing to pay high prices for cabinets that look like the ones in the OP? Reasonably priced versions will not hold up, heck they won’t look as good from the start.

this is a high end look. it is wiser to make solid choices within your budget for optimal results. That means put your money where there is maximum impact. Chasing a look you can’t afford will not deliver great design.

• M Miller
    4 years ago

@Julie B. - I went to that website you linked, and found the page for their rift white oak finishes. They had a caution: “A range of grain patterns and colors may appear on the same panel, and adjacent door and drawer fronts may not match each other. These are natural characteristics of Rift White Oak and are not considered a defect.”

The OP though mentioned grain-matching specifically, and the OP’s photos show grain-matched, very consistent cabinets. The website also doesn’t appear to offer a stain/color in that very-white oak that is in the OP’s photos. Either the OP will have to compromise on the grain-matched white oak appearance, or on the amount that she has to spend to get the appearance she wants.

https://www.canyoncreek.com/styles-finishes/wood-species/rift%20white%20oak/

• jdesign_gw
    4 years ago

We make custom Euro rifted white oak doors for Ikea cabinets. Going this route isn't as expensive as you think. Grain sequencing is a pretty common practice. It's just the way any decent cabinet maker should do it.

• carii
    Original Author
    4 years ago

OP here. You are all correct that I should have specified what "reasonably-priced" means... The short answer is... it depends. I know you get what you pay for and am not looking for bottom of the barrel, but am hoping not to go way overboard either.

Maybe a better question would have been... what should I expect to pay for cabinets like these? :)

We have approximately 26 linear feet of cabinets, so it's not an enormous kitchen compared to some. I was hoping there might be a semi-custom company that would have a lighter finish, let me specify finish, or let me finish on site instead of going fully custom at $70k for cabinets. I've found many brands with rift white oak and stains, but all finishes seem to go darker instead of lighter.

Thanks to all of you who have contributed so far, I appreciate any recommendations and advice.

• lisadlu16
    4 years ago

Brookhaven

• carii
    Original Author
    4 years ago

OP here again.

We were able to get a bid for custom cabinets with Shinnoki veneer for $27K, within budget. For anyone else looking at the thread in the future, here's the website:

https://www.shinnoki.com/en/collection/

Mafi will also make the veneer. Other door options we found include Kokeena and Plykea doors for Ikea cabinets, and Dunsmuir makes Ikea cabinet doors using the same Shinnoki veneer mentioned above.

Thanks for all the info and advice!

• Amy S
    4 years ago

I am using Conestoga cabinets, but I am doing solid wood (no veneer) rift oak shaker style doors. I believe the style is called Grandview. I am just replacing my doors along the wall, but I am totally redoing the island and adding one base cabinet. It is costing without install about $7k for my 12 x 12 kitchen with the island. I am using a custom stain but it is virtually clear; it has a slight tint to even out the wood. I would say the wood tends to pull more grey, olive green than pink. What I have read to achieve that color stain that you want that is less yellow is that people use oxalic acid first and then stain. If I were you, I would contact a custom shop and get a quote. I currently have yellow alder cabinets and white oak floors; it is too yellow for me. Fingers crossed it doesn't turn yellow as it ages.

• hillsidebox
    4 years ago

Quarter sawn will also look modern, no? @carii I found this pic on instagram for barker cabinets: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bc8nb-PFvE1/

I think it is fairly difficult to achieve a sleek modern look with all wood cabinets. That said, strategically combining white, white oak, and grey/black cabinets could give the same european/airy feel to the kitchen. I hope this helps. Semihandmade's tahoe and sonoma fronts for ikea also look sleek and airy -> checkout their insta pics

• jillrehker
    3 years ago

Hi! There is a company out of Denver called The Cabinet Face that provides custom doors for ikea cabinets ( so low cost/ not totally custom). They offer rift and quarter sawn white oak that is grain matched. The cabinets are frameless and offered in a flat slab front.

https://thecabinetface.com/materials/natural-wood-slab/#

• John Ledoux
    3 years ago

@carii How did it all turn out?

• spiredem
    3 years ago

I’m going for the same look and got some very good samples from https://www.moderntwig.com/collections. Their in house designer has helped me with my entire ikea plan as well. I’m a few months out from install though. I’m leaning toward beachwood instead of the rift white oak, which is a little more orange.

• khoffmann9
    3 years ago

Pam,
    Do have the name of your warm grey stain?
    Thanks!

• Brianna Babienco
    2 years ago

Where were the originally inspiration photos from?

• carii
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Check out Juma Architects Project K for most of the inspiraton photos..

• Sachin Sanap
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

@carii Carii, would you be able to guide rest of us on what option for rift cut white oak cabinets you went with? I am in process to look for same in Raleigh NC

• Caroline K
    2 years ago

Stunningly beautiful.

carii thanked Caroline K
  • J Sk
    2 years ago

It is georgus. May I ask what are your countertops?

carii thanked J Sk
  • lynne3450
    2 years ago

WOW that’s one of the most beautiful kitchens I’ve seen on Houzz! Yes— what are the counter tops??

carii thanked lynne3450
  • carii
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Aww, thank you all! So nice to hear after all the agonizing decisons (and Covid construction). The countertops were part of the kitchen "system" from SpaceTheory, as were the backsplash panels, knobs, open shelving and tray. We really wanted the thin, Euro-style counters and the material is Avonite (similar to LG HiMacs) in the porcelain color.

• J.C.
    2 years ago

May I ask how much the design process costs? The pricing examples on Space Theory's website are I'm assuming just for the materials. Installation costs would be additional as well?

• carii
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hi JC,

The design process was included in the pricing online. They have an online design tool that was in beta when we started the project so they did the design for us. We started with an architect sketch and measurements and they took it from there. We were really impressed with how knowledgeable and thoughtful they are (our designer was Seth, he is the best and supported us all the way through install!).

They are in Seattle and we are in Marin County, CA so it was all shipped in a very organized way and my contractor installed it here at an additional cost. The countertop was precut for the sink, but my contractor cut the cooktop and teppanyaki holes for the island countertops here on site.

The attention to detail was amazing, they had every single thing prepackaged for us including correctly sized screws, brackets, the Blum hinges, etc. Even undercabinet lighting and a polishing pad and extra repair material for the countertop. FYI the drawers all use Blum Tandemboxes and hinges if you want an idea of the insides (dark gray).

I swear I do not work for this company, I just want to share this info because we were so happy with the process and how it turned out!!

• drdeb1234
    2 years ago

Gorgeous kitchen

carii thanked drdeb1234
  • J.C.
    2 years ago

Thanks carii - so glad to hear about your good experience with the company. Your kitchen is beautiful (and the view - stunning!)

carii thanked J.C.
  • Megan
    2 years ago

This is exactly what I've been looking for! Are your cabinets the muted oak or ivory oak color?

• PRO
    Janice Lee
    2 years ago

Carri, what's the website for the company where you ordered your cabinets. They are a gorgeous color. Thanks

• carii
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you, all! The company is SpaceTheory and the color is ivory oak. We are a year into the cabinets and they look just as good as the day they went in. Very happy with the look and quality.

• ymcy
    2 years ago

This update after a year is extremely helpful, I have seen a few threads were people have said their Henry built cabinets don’t hold up well. But who knows

• HU-595236161
    2 years ago

I love your kitchen! I ended up bleaching and finishing our own cabinets to achieve the non-yellowed look. It is so difficult to

find this look even thiugh it seems so popular right now!

carii thanked HU-595236161
  • Andrea Caldwell
    2 years ago

Hi carii! What are your floors? Ty!!

carii thanked Andrea Caldwell
  • spiredem
    2 years ago

Wow. That’s impressive.

carii thanked spiredem
  • carii
    Original Author
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

The floors are 8” x 8’ white oak, select grade. They were finished in place with Bona Nordic/Traffic HD. I wanted Loba 2k but my flooring person had never done it before and made us both nervous

• Andrea Caldwell
    2 years ago

Thanks for the information! Looks great!

• chiefy
    2 years ago

@carli your kitchen is gorgeous! And that Mountain View is incredible.

carii thanked chiefy
  • J H
    2 years ago

@carii thank you for sharing your lovely kitchen, I would never have found Space.Theory without this thread! We're now getting a quote from them, too. I am also in Marin County and we're going through this same process of pricing out all our options for a very similar look to your kitchen. Would you mind sharing the information of the custom cabinet maker you got your quote from with the Shinnoki veneers? Thank you! Jess

• carii
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@JH I think it was Dusmuir Cabinets, www.dcabinets.com

• J H
    last year

thank you!

• sherylbaff
    7 months ago

Are the oak cabinet doors solid wood or a veneer?

Sponsored