sarahr0ck

underplanting pawpaw with lowbush blueberry?

sarahrock
5 years ago

Has anyone under planted their pawpaws with lowbush blueberry? Since pawpaw supposedly likes somewhat acidic soil and has a big taproot, I was was wondering if this could work. Any thoughts?

Comments (10)

• Anna Cunningham
    5 years ago

Arent' losbush blueberries shade loving?

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    5 years ago

On my property they grow in a good amount of sun.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    5 years ago

ALL blueberry varieties need lots of sun to fruit well.

• sarahrock
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I mean, yes, I assume they would fruit much better in full sun, but they CAN take a little shade, right?

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    5 years ago

IME they don’t thrive in a lot of shade, with few if any flowers and sparse leaves. How happy they will be depends on how shady it is. Give it a try and report back.

• deltaohioz5
    5 years ago

What around root competition from the pawpaw tree. I get runners coming up ten feet from my stock pawpaws. I believe blueberries are shallow rooted and need a lot of water.

Frank

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    5 years ago

If pawpaws have a lot of shallow roots, I don’t think the blueberries will be successful.

• sarahrock
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Good point. I was thinking about the pawpaw having a big taproot and that making it viable, but the suckers are pretty extreme. Well, I guess we'll see!

• PRO
    Curb Appeal Fixers Landscaping
    4 years ago

I am an expert when it comes to pawpaw trees and from seeing how they grow in the wild, I say high Bush blueberries love growing in the understory with pawpaw trees.

Sponsored