dlm2000

Analysis Paralysis – window shades & transoms

DLM2000-GW
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I have hemmed and hawed over this long enough – time to make a decision and I almost don’t even care if it’s the wrong one – anything is better than inaction at this point. Obviously not true, I am not Ms Moneybags and window treatments aren’t cheap.

Bear with me, this came out longer than I planned.

For the moment I want to focus on the LR (has transoms) and DR (no transoms) but have the exact same windows in 3 bedrooms, 1 with and 2 without transoms. I *think* I want to do the same shades throughout - paint color and wood floor is the same in all the rooms. This is a new build, we are on 6 acres, privacy is not an issue, light control and covering black hole windows at night in the guest rooms is, so we will have privacy liners. There are views out all windows we want to preserve, we love the light in the house but low angle winter sun and bare trees creates glare so we’d like to lower shades as needed for the necessary hour or two each day. The focus is on what’s outside the windows so I don’t want anything to distract from that but want something with texture and warmth that ties in with the floor and beams - am drawn to woven wood. Cellulars are still a consideration simply because they virtually disappear when closed with a minimal stack but then they don’t add that texture and warmth of wood. I am torn.

The other issue is placement. Until I found this website I considered hanging at the windows and leaving the transoms bare but now see the error of that thinking . https://windowworks-nj.com/how-to-window-treatments-for-transom-windows/ Plan is for inside mount but if I do woven wood and hang in the transoms, they will be ¾ covered with the stack height. I think they are beautiful windows so I hate to cover them. Do I do outside mount and hang on the window casing? Or even hang a bit above the transom on the wall? There is blocking above the window so that’s do-able. Or do cellular in the transoms only and woven wood on the main windows ? Or is that just nuts? That would require a pole to operate the transom shades but I’ve been told by the window people I’m talking to that is not a big deal. Is it? Ugh. I overthink things to the point of making myself and DH crazy and then do nothing. I have to do something. Someone just tell me what to do.

Pictures of the windows and shades under consideration to follow in the next post.

Comments (21)

• DLM2000-GW
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Ignore furniture please – that’s a whole ‘nother post. LR windows straight ahead, DR to the left

Other wall of LR windows – dormer windows will not get
    shades. Curtains are staying for the time being but I’m not wed to them. I like
    the verticality(?) and the sound absorption.

2 shade materials under consideration. First one has a larger stack but it's my absolute favorite. And is of course more expensive. Second one stacks tighter but offers less light control – has a very thin liner
    but it may be enough.

Any grand window advice for me? I'm all ears. Actually I'm going to bed and won't be back till tomorrow afternoon so you have time to think on it! Thanks for wading through this saga.

• mstender
    5 years ago

Love your paint color , can you please share what color it is?

• DLM2000-GW
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Ha! Not fair - you didn't give window advice! Sure - it's Benjamin Moore Natural Cream OC 14

• Olychick
    5 years ago

Is there any reason to not hang draperies for the warmth and texture you want with disappearing cellulars for light control?

DLM2000-GW thanked Olychick
  • Feathers11
    5 years ago

I hate the pressure of choosing a foundational part of a room that you feel you have to get just right the first time. I really like the existing curtains, but I tend toward that look.

Editing my reply. I would not mount on or above the casings because it can look sloppy when the blinds are down and there are gaps at the sides that let light in (since the blinds don't sit flush against the casings.

I understand the case against leaving the transoms open in the article you linked. However, since the DR windows don't have transoms, mounting inside would be better and the placement of the LR would be consistent with DR.

DLM2000-GW thanked Feathers11
  • Lukki Irish
    5 years ago

I have no ideas for you, but I love the space and all the windows. Beautiful

DLM2000-GW thanked Lukki Irish
  • DLM2000-GW
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks so much justterri - we do love the feel of the room. Haven't looked for that type of fabric so no idea what's available. I keep thinking I need texture (no?) and although that fabric has texture, unless you're on top of it it will read very quiet. OTOH quiet doesn't distract which is good. Round and round I go....

Oly there's no real reason not to do curtains and cellulars other than I question if I'll get bored with it - white on white. The curtains that are up are Ikea Lendas that I doctored and trust me, not very well! If I do more curtains it would be the same kind of look. I'll do color elsewhere in the room - sofas when we get to that point, pillows, art, throws and the rug has color already. Color at the windows I think stops the eye there and might make the views beyond take a back seat.

Feathers we could do an inside mount beginning in the transoms. It might look like the horizontal casing between the transom and window would be in the way but it's recessed enough and the shades would still fall to the sill. But I see what you mean about consistency of look between the two rooms and hadn't really considered that. See? I do need the input!

Maybe a fabric or woven shade that rolls up behind a cassette? That would be about 3 - 4" visible when rolled up.

• PRO
    Tammy Wilson, A Smith & Noble In-Home Designer
    5 years ago

Consider an outside mount above the window opening(s) so that the bottom edge of the stack just overlaps the top trim. A waterfall application would work nicely to clear the trim and still stay close to the window. One treatemtent vs 6 is much cleaner in my opinion and can be operated by a loop control. A natural woven in wood tones that work with both the floor and the beam is a great choice, as those are not likely to change before your wall color.

• DLM2000-GW
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Tammy I appreciate your input and see your point about 1 treatment vs 6. But is it really possibly to have one treatment that would be 115" wide and roughly 85" long? That's what it would take to have 1 shade on the 3 windows with transoms and mounted high enough that the stack clears the trim or is at least at the very top. How can something like that be operable? That's considerable weight for any mechanism.

• PRO
    Tammy Wilson, A Smith & Noble In-Home Designer
    5 years ago

No, its not at that width. Most max out at 102’. What are the dimensions, it doesnt say in your post.

• DLM2000-GW
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Wanted to give an update so this isn't left hanging and maybe this info will help someone else at some point.

justerrilynn what you said about 'not messing with the feel of the room' really struck a chord with me and made me re-examine the reasons I wanted woven wood shades. Being honest with myself it's because I see them everywhere online, every blog, every designer's portfolio, pinterest, insta.... 90% of the time with white curtains. It's a great look and one that works in a lot of settings but that's not a valid reason to play me, too. Plus it's a little too 'of the moment' IYKWIM and will change the focus of the room.

Decided to to a test run on only the 2 windows flanking the TV because that limits the loss if we hate it and we can always order more if we like it. DH installed them yesterday and I think we've hit on a way to attractively and easily cut glare when needed and not compromise the look of the windows when shades are up which is 98% of the time. Thank you for helping me get there!

• PRO
    Passionate Home
    3 years ago

What blinds (manufacturer/style) did you end up choosing? Are they motorized or do that have cords?

• DLM2000-GW
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Bali, roller shades, light filtering, collection is called Ornamental and the color is called Frosty. They are not motorized, and have the continuous cord/chain. Lowe's runs sales regularly for 25% off.

• PRO
    Passionate Home
    3 years ago

Thank you for the information. I have been struggling with this decision as well!

• ratherbesewing
    3 years ago

I am a huge fan of roller blinds. They do the job (sun control) and vanish when rolled up. Your windows are the STAR in the room, not the blinds.

DLM2000-GW thanked ratherbesewing
  • DLM2000-GW
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Well a year and a half into having the shades in our LR and overall it was a good choice. If they were more light blocking instead of filtering they would be even better but I don't think there is such a thing. It's either room darkening, total black out or filtering, no in between. But as far as the look and mechanism, they are great.

• PRO
    Passionate Home
    3 years ago

I can help other people with their design challenges but I can't make decisions when it comes to my own!

• ggmd67
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

DLM thank you for taking the time to update this thread! While privacy is a bit more of a concern for me as I do not have the acreage that you do, I still want something that disappears when open. I am stuck between roller shades and cellular shades. Any input on what made you rule out cellular shades?

• Trem Wills
    3 years ago

You made the perfect choice. It looks great

DLM2000-GW thanked Trem Wills
  • DLM2000-GW
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@ggmd67 the roller shade does not have the horizontal shadow lines that are visible when a cellular shade is down, it's just a flat texture so to me it's less noticeable.

Sponsored