lkboken

quartz floating shelf along one entire wall in kitchen

NYCish
5 years ago
Our KD has proposed using the painted cabinetry wood for a floating shelf along the run of wall of cabs in our one-wall plus island kitchen. It’s a long run. Nearly 11 ft long. I’ve attached an inspiration pic of what it will look like

I’ve considered asking her to use quartz instead of the light gray painted cabinetry material. Our backsplash will be the same sueded finish silestone Statuario as the counters. I don’t want to have brackets. So before I ask her if she can make this ($) change, I’d like to know if is feasible. Obviously it will be heavy. But if damp glassware or dishware is placed on the wood, I’d be concerned with the integrity of the wood. We have steel framing, if that matters. I just don’t know how hard of a task

Of note, we won’t have upper cabinets at all. Similar to second picture. There will be sconces. Paneled 42” fridge at one end and nearly 6 ft cabinetry pantry on the other end. Range centered

Thanks!

Comments (60)

• User
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Just avoid quartz anywhere behind your range unless you use the tall stainless back guard also. No backsplash done in quartz with an island trim. It WILL scorch and is unrepairable.

• purpleproject
    5 years ago
    while definitely not the same gorgeous effect, would a break in the shelf so there isn't a shelf in the range area be something to consider? I wanted a single shelf too, we finally ended up deciding to put it on the other wall that has sink and dishwasher.
  • NYCish
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    @purple I’m ok with a break in the shelf if it means the range will function better and I won’t melt the shelf. Ha. That’s probably what will end up happening
  • PRO
    User
    5 years ago

Or you could just do the tall stainless backguard with warming shelf behind your range, and continue the stone shelf at the same height as the stainless shelf. You can see that this warming shelf is mounted at 24” from the counter surface.

• NYCish
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    @thecooks kitchen. That’s a great idea. Thanks!
  • purpleproject
    5 years ago

See what height works best for you for the shelf. I am just 5'3" so when reaching over the 24" deep counter we figured a 18" height shelf that is 9" deep works best.

• Michelle misses Sophie
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

@lbkeyes - the concern with the hood is not that the shelf causes a larger plume per se, but that if you want space on top of the shelf to place things, you might need to raise the hood up to give you that space (especially if you have a combustible shelf that needs to be mounted pretty high).

When you move a hood further away (higher) from the cooking surface, the plume gets a chance to expand outward more before capture, so you need to make the hood area correspondingly larger.

Now reading that the designer suggested this be Silestone, well, that is definitely a heat-sensitive material - it has a significant resin (plastic) content, is not heat-resistant, and will definitely scorch! Going with a stainless warming shelf like @TCK suggests would be a much better idea. I hope the designer didn't suggest the backsplash behind the cooktop be unprotected Silestone as well....

• Ann Lane
    3 years ago

NYCish, were you able to mount that stone shelf and hide the supports? Curious how it all turned out!

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    3 years ago

Ann Lane:

It is cost effectively possible to mount a stone or estone shelf. You'd mount level stanchions to the wall framing and slot/drill the rear of the shelf.

• Ann Lane
    3 years ago

Hi Joseph! This is what was installed - they are a 1/2" thick, 3" from the drywall. Would it be possible to do a 3 cm quartzite shelf with this, but hiding the steel support? We are trying to keep the 3 cm thickness so it doesn't look thicker than our countertops.

• Ann Lane
    3 years ago

Fabricator thinks they can't slot or drill the rear of the 3 cm stone shelf because it weakens the stone? We actually won't be putting anything heavy on these shelves, like stacks of dishes. More like light decorative items.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    3 years ago

They can slot the stone edge with a grinder. Sure, it will weaken the stone a bit, but it's a shelf.

• Ann Lane
    3 years ago

Thanks, Joseph!! I'm talking to the fabricator tomorrow. Fingers crossed they are willing to do that for quartzite (fabricator said quartzite is very brittle) because that would make things SO much easier.

• Ann Lane
    3 years ago

Hi Joseph, you were right! He finally agreed to do embed the brackets into the stone after I pointed out that it's a shelf that won't hold any heavy dishes. Thanks for letting me know so that I could reasonably push the issue with him!

• HU-920408880
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

As a fabricator. We have done many like this and if done well you will have no problems at all.

• HU-349666461
    3 years ago

Can something like this be done with porcelain? I have a fabricator that can make the shelf but not a supporting mechanism (brackets?). I had one guy suggest notching the studs in the wall and using that along with the porcelain backsplash on the wall to support the shelf.

• Freelancewriter
    3 years ago

Can someone follow up on this discussion please? I'm trying to figure out if it is possible/feasible/smart to hang 3 shelves 6' x 10-12", made of the same quartzite as countertops. They probably won't hold too many heavy items, however, I'd feel better if I could be confident that it would be okay to do so. I get the feeling my fabricator hasn't done this before, which isn't a disqualifier, just want to be sure that this isn't a pie in the sky idea that I'll regret. It's NOT about regretting open shelving. I've had them before and I love them. It's about the integrity of heavy stone, floating shelving (although, I'm not completely opposed to brackets) hanging from a standard, wood-studded wall. Thanks!

• Amy Duplantis Gautreaux
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I second Freelancewriter - I need to know this too🙏🙏🙏please help

• elizabeth_eclectic
    2 years ago

@Amy Duplantis Gautreaux and @Freelancewriter if you want to have stone shelves similar to the OP, my contractor and the fabricator both said they have to be basically mitered boxes with a heavy duty steel rod/bracket inside them. There are alternatives I’ve found if you’re not putting anything super heavy up there (like epoxying a bracket to the back of the shelf then screwing that into the studs then drywall over everything), but if you want it to safely support weight that’s what I’ve been told...

I asked about drilling a hole into the marble for steel rods and they said no way it would weaken it too much, especially since I want 12” deep shelves like Athena Calderone’s Brooklyn kitchen.

Good luck!

• elizabeth_eclectic
    2 years ago

@NYCish I‘d love to see your kitchen! It seems we have similar taste :)

• NYCish
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@elizabeth_eclectic

• NYCish
    Original Author
    2 years ago

We’ve had zero issues. No heat marks, nothing. I do run the vent on low when using the range to draw heat up and out but I’d do that anyway, anywhere.

• elizabeth_eclectic
    2 years ago

Oooh gorgeous @NYCish !!

• Freelancewriter
    2 years ago

Painters are here, right now, painting my wood cabinets. I ended up going with wood shelves, as much due to cost as anything. We’re already into 3 slabs of quartzite and stone shelves would have required another. We’ve already over invested in this house and I don’t anticipate being here more than 2 years. Stone goes in Wednesday with appliances/lighting/etc to follow. I’ll post pics when it’s completed!

• indirash
    2 years ago

how deep are those kitchen shelves ?

• HU-87608066
    2 years ago

could i ask how this worked out? dod you manage to install the quartz floating shelf? I have one to put up but cant seem to find any floating shelf brackets thag would hold the weight, nor anyone who’s succesfully done it and can advise. Thanks!

• NYCish
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I’m not sure if you are asking me or not, but yes it worked out well. I should mention that only the lower shelf that runs the length of the kitchen wall is quartz, and only about 8-9” deep. As someone mentioned above the back was slotted and steel rods were used. I don’t have pics of that process or what was actually done as the fabricators installed it. But it hasn’t fallen off or loosened after 18 months so they did something right. I have quite a bit on the shelves; everyday cups/plates/mugs, wine glasses; I’d say about 15 lbs worth of stuff?

The upper shelves are actually wood painted to match the cabinets (ice cube) and project a bit more. I don’t put much on them except decorative items.

Im not sure if it has to do with where we live and these kind of shelves being en Vogue around here, but the countertop fabricators do this quite often. Pic taken right now in its messy state.

• HU-527325812
    2 years ago

Hi! @NYCish, I’m wondering if you have any photos or even other examples of what the rods used or how it was slotted? Our fabricator has never done this, and we are doing a 4 inch shelf and 8 inch shelf and they want to use L brackets for both.. but i am really wanting to not see the brackets. So id love to know how to explain this to them. Even willing to talk with your fabricator about what needs done if youre willing to share that info. Thank you!!!

• elizabeth_eclectic
    2 years ago

@HU-527325812 my marble fabricator does this all the time and I will have these marble floating shelves in my kitchen. He creates a mitered ”box“ essentially that looks like a thick shelf. Thick steel rod/brackets will be drilled into the studs, drywall over that, then the shelves are glued and placed over the rods. The fabricator said we couldn’t bore a hole into the marble since it would weaken it.

• HU-527325812
    2 years ago

@charmcityrenovation Omg thank you so incredibly much for this! Last question for you, is thie 2cm or 3cm countertop and shelf material?

• elizabeth_eclectic
    2 years ago

@CharmCityRenovation love your kitchen so far!!

• A H
    2 years ago

NYCish how high up is that quartz shelf and what kind of quartz did you use? Did you finish it in any particular way to protect it from the range?

• Freelancewriter
    2 years ago

This post is a long time coming, but renovation project was completed in June. Ended up with floating wood shelves, in a light-ish stain, and so glad I did! The wood was a much needed element to soften all the stone, tile and greige tones. I am thrilled at how it all turned out. Also, in my original post, I was planning on 3 shelves. I even had the carpenter hang 3 wood shelves although he asked me at least half a dozen times if I was sure...as soon as they were installed, I had him take one down and move the 2 so that there was more space between. About two thirds through our renovation, we found out that we were unexpectedly moving back to OH. Our house sold for a full $100,000 over what we paid in January 2021, in 4 days, over asking, with no appraisal contingency (although it appraised at sales price). When we bought it, it had been on the market for more than 400 days. I give lots of credit to our contractor, who did an amazing job.

• Shana Clark
    2 years ago

@CharmCityRenovation Hi! We are trying to do exactly what you did with the floating quartz shelf along the top of backsplash under our hood and length of wall. I love the way yours turned out. Can you tell me the depth of the floating shelf you have?

• Julie Schmooley
    2 years ago

Love all these pics I know this is an old post but I’m hoping to do the same. My oven will be electric but I want quartz countertop/ backsplash and ledge!

• marymrichman
    2 years ago

@CharmCityRenovation We are looking for brackets for a similar shelf. Do you know where the ones you used were from?

• lisagdm
    2 years ago

I’m trying to do this with quartzite. Did anyone use this material for their shelf?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    2 years ago

The 33% plastic in engineered stone makes it much stronger than quartzite in this application. It can still be done, but you'll have to come up with a way to hide the mesh on the back of the quartzite. I'd only remove the mesh and polish the bottom of the quartzite if the shelves were relatively short and the shelves free of fissures.

• hayleyfilasky
    last year

@lisagdm did you land up w/ a quartzite shelf?

• dramivbhimani
    last year

I am in dallas and having a hard time with finding a fabricator to do this with cambria

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    last year

Dram:

They don't think they can charge you enough. Disabuse them of this notion please.

• Kate
    last year

Nycish- what is the name of your fabricator in nyc? I’d like a similar backsplash and shelf. Thanks!

• Julie Schmooley
    last year

I ended up getting mine done and love it!

• Paula W
    10 months ago

Julie I am doing this exact thing now. How deep is your ledge? I’m set for 6” but not sure if that’s the right size for my 36” range. I don’t intend to keep plates on there…maybe smaller bowls, a mug, salt/peoper, a plant etc.

• arhoton
    5 months ago

Old post but thought I would chime in. In process of this now. My fabricator is open to idea and intially suggested to notch studs. Not interested in that as it is a load bearing wall. Does anyone have suggestions on brackets? I have found some from Original Granite company and they would work but we have 10ft ceilings and have block between the studs right where the bracket should attach to the side. I need something that can attach to the front of the stud or blocking. Any and all thoughts welcome.

• elizabeth_eclectic
    5 months ago

@arhoton you just have them notch the drywall out then they screw directly onto the front of the stud. I got these: https://ironsupports.com/products/hidden-granite-countertop-l-bracket?_pos=1&_sid=063bc5aaa&_ss=r&variant=16258912780359

• arhoton
    5 months ago
    last modified: 5 months ago

Thank you! elizabeth_eclectic Your kitchen looks great. What material are you using and how deep are your shelves? I am also the same thing in a corner. Did your fabricator rout out the stone or create a miter box?

• elizabeth_eclectic
    5 months ago

Thanks! I have 2cm Carrara marble that they created a miter box with. They’re 12” deep

• HU-491813810
    4 months ago

If you want to have a 3cm shelf around 5-6" deep to cap a stone backsplash, ask your fabricator if they can drill 1/2" dia. holes to accept hanger bolts. 3/8" x 6" hanger bolts can be screwed into studs, leave at least 3" protruding from the wall, alternatively you can use 3/8" x 7" lag screws, this might be easier to screw into the wall, and then grind the hex head off after in place. The stone installer will need to put epoxy in each hole to allow it to set around the support.

Be sure the supports are perfectly level, and placed in the middle of the stone shelf.

Sponsored