Cost: $1172

Victory Typhoon 52

Width: 52-3/8"

Height: 20-1/8"

Depth: 19-11/16"

cfm: 1000cfm

Noise: 1.5-6.8 Sones

Cost: $1078

Any thoughts on either of these models? Thanks in advance.

Comments (18)

• Keiko Childs
    5 years ago

We purchased a Kobe hood a few years ago in the 400-700 price range and were super happy with it. We decided to go with Kobe again for our remodel, though we haven't installed the new fan yet so can't report as to its performance yet.

• M Harrison
    Original Author
    5 years ago

That's helpful- thanks!

• fordido
    5 years ago

I have a victory range hood & have been really happy with the performance & quality

• catinthehat
    5 years ago

Hi hi there,

I had some time on the train to work this morning so I did some research on the two brands you mentioned.

NEITHER brand offers blower curves for their blowers. In nonengineering terms this means you will have NO clue the actual cfm’s you are getting with either unit. The difference between a blower you would find in a hood, and a fan you would place near a window, is that the blower is designed to deliver a certain cfm of air under pressure while the fan is designed to deliver a certain cfm under zero pressure. You can buy a 5000 cfm fan from Home Depot for about 200 dollars, but it’s going to provide you close to zero cfm if you stuck it in some ductwork.

The two brands you listed do not provide blower curves because the actual cfm you are going to get is significantly lower than their claim. How much less is anyone’s guess, but you could start with half for a ballpark. The blowers are simply too cheap and not powerful enough. The funny part is since they are so weak, they also tend to be quieter since they are not pushing anywhere close the cfm’s they claim. They actually boast about this quietness as a feature.

If you want a true 1000 or 1200 cfm hood you will need to spend significantly more money. Good luck!

M Harrison thanked catinthehat
  • eandhl2
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I have had a Kobe for 10 yrs. 90% of the time the lowest setting takes all steam & odors out. It is practically silent on the lowest.

• M Harrison
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Wow thanks so much for your feedback. I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the victory range hood. I do cook a lot but only use high heat occasionally so hopefully I don't regret buying an underpowered hood. I appreciate everyone's comments.

• itaimax
    5 years ago

How is it? Having The same dilemma

• Project42day
    4 years ago

Me too, please report back on your Victory Range Hood M. Harrison. Thank you

• M Miller
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

The Victory’s depth front-to-back of 19-11/16” would be a non-starter for me, regardless of any other specs it has. Ranges are at least 24” front-to-back, and pro ranges several inches deeper than that. You don’t want to spend money on a hood and not have it cover the front burners.

What is your exhaust duct’s diameter size? It needs to be 8” or 10” diameter. You will have problems if the duct is smaller than that for that amount of cfms.

I am always confounded when people spend really a lot on a range, and want to spend the most minimal amount on the hood. The budget for each should go hand in hand. If you can’t afford a good hood, then you should have gotten a smaller range so that you could afford a hood for it.

• HU-993723755
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

@M HarrisonAlso curious how your Victory hood is working out? Victory seems to be the only company that offers direct rear venting for their wall-mount style hoods.

I'm currently looking at this one:

https://www.kitchenhoods.ca/shop/range-hoods-on-sale/professional-range-hood-48-high-cfm-victory.html

• itaimax
    4 years ago

It's fine.. it's a hood and does it's job. Can't say any more than that.

• HU-993723755
    3 years ago

This is interesting. I have a Victory hood and was thinking of contacting them soon about a minor issue. I'll report back if I do.

• Beeg R
    3 years ago

They finally contacted us AFTER we complained on Facebook. I told them to check their phone line and email because none of their phone calls went through and emails were bounced back. Hopefully their line works now.

• kaseki
    3 years ago

Between the message above dated 11 mos ago and the one dated 13 days ago (at this writing) there was a pandemic transient. Many businesses had to shift contact people to work from home. I can only imagine the difficulty (or improbability) of successful mass forwarding of business phone numbers to home numbers by the relevant telephone companies. Forwarding of email might be easier but that too could be a clown show when it is happening to all businesses at once.

• PRO
    Victory Range Hoods
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Hello,

All of our range hoods CFM values have been tested by us and are 100% accurate. The reason our range hoods are the same price or cheaper most of the time is because everything we sell is all direct to consumer and is not done through retail or third parties.

When calculating how much CFM you'll get realistically with your ducting, you are allowed to have up to approximately 40 feet of straight ducting before the CFM will start to drop off drastically. Any 90 degree turns will reduce this allowance by 9 feet and 45 degree turns by 4 feet. For example, if your ducting is 25 feet long but you have two 90 degree elbows it technically will equal 43 feet and thus you will see a drop in performance.

In regards to the depth of the model "Typhoon", this is an insert range hood and thus going inside of a custom cabinet/hood. When fully installed and enclosed in something your total depth is actually going be 22"-24" depending on the enclosure. If the Typhoon is any deeper it will force your custom hood/cabinet to come out too far and start to be in the way.

Hopefully this answers any questions or doubts!

• opaone
    3 years ago

"Hopefully this answers any questions or doubts!"

1 - Without published fan curves indicating CFM performance at various static pressures this information is useless. It's marketing gobbledegook.

2 - Total depth is meaningless. The ONLY depth that matters is clear open capture area or aperture. At 20" this hood is much too shallow for effective capture but judging by the photos the actual capture area is about 14" deep. This hood will provide little to no capture of effluent from front burners which poses a serious health risk to anyone using it.

• PRO
    Victory Range Hoods
    2 years ago

How someone wants to take the information we have to offer is up to them, but we have 100's of positive reviews on Houzz and Google so you don't need to take our word for it. If anyone has any questions about any of our range hoods or information we've published we invite you to message us directly on one of our platforms.

Sponsored