ncgirl317

BM Seapearl OC-19 vs Dove Wing OC-18

Lori
5 years ago

Does anyone know if Dove Wing and Seapearl are both greige and Dove Wing is just slightly lighter? Does one lean more toward beige than the other (given the same lighting, exposure,etc.)?

Thanks!

Lori

Comments (40)

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Dove Wing OC-18 and Seapearl OC-19 are so close it's almost a waste that Benjamin Moore includes both in the Off-Whites Collection.

As far as the word "greige" that's one of those fluff color words that really doesn't mean anything because it means something different to everyone. Whether you want to categorize them as "greige" or not doesn't really matter because either way you can be right.

Compared to Seapearl, what you want to look for is: Dove Wing is just slightly lighter, it has a tiny bit less chroma so it's a tiny bit more gray, and it's a tiny bit more yellow.

The differences are so small that unless you have an OTT Lite or are looking at the chips outside between 11 am and 1 pm in indirect daylight you might miss them.

But we can easily see how they differ if we compare the colors by notations.

• Judy Mishkin
    5 years ago

my cabinets are sea pearl, its pretty far off white. you can compare it to my white wall oven. (my 'white' floor tiles are not white, either, they are on their way to cream for a softer contrast with the black).

• Lori
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thank you, Lori! I was hoping you would share your wisdom on it. They are amazingly close from your charts! I am looking for a color a tiny bit darker than white dove but not as dark as seapearl. I was hoping dove wing was the answer, but it doesn't look that way. I will have to look for another color that might be between the two.
  • PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    5 years ago

I am looking for a color a tiny bit darker than white dove but not as dark as Seapearl.

A color that is just like Seapearl and White Dove - same Hue Family and Chroma - but with a Value between 9.22 and 8.92 and an LRV between 83% and 78%, right?

• Lori
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Yes, I'm wondering if eirher vanilla milkshake, swiss coffee or cloud cover could be in-between white dove and seapearl.
  • PRO
    Lori thanked Lori A. Sawaya
  • Lori
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hi Lori, I can't find much information out there on SW Gracious Greige. By any chance have you done a chart on this color? There doesn't seem to be any reviews on it.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    5 years ago

Gracious Greige is part of the HGTV Home collection at Lowes.

Unfortunately, none of those colors have been measured so I don't have the data to make a Colorography for it.

If anybody wants to ship me the HGTV Home fandeck, we can start including those color.

• Lori
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks, Lori. I'm starting to see Gracious Greige and Basalt Powder show up as whole house neutrals in model homes and parade homes in my area. Nice colors, I don't have the fandeck but I could certainly send you the color card for them! By the way, thank you for all of the color information you give on Houzz, it is always interesting and helpful to read your posts!

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    5 years ago

@Lori, I'll be sure to check out the colors - sounds lovely.

They won't measure loose chips. Only new fandecks (preferably still in shrink wrap). So if anybody out there works at Lowes and knows if there is a fandeck..... :)

• Lori
    Original Author
    5 years ago

So I tried to get samples from Sherwin Williams and did not realize they had to color match the HGTV Sherwin Williams colors. I was told SW got paid to stick their name on it and they now own Valspar, but it is not their paint at all so not one of their colors. I prefer BM paint, so I guess I should have had BM color match it if that was how it was going to be anyway!

• PRO
    Caroline Kopp Interior Design
    5 years ago

Glacier White is more yellow (and lighter) than dove wing which is in turn more yellow than Seapearl. in between Seapearl and Dove Wing, you have china white..... all of these and more are presently sampled in my master bedroom, that's how I know this!!! The other two samples I did were Steam (lightest of all of these) and Calm, which is a nice gray but it has a rosiness to it. Best thing to do is get samples and roll them out on the wall, really learn a lot that way.

Lori thanked Caroline Kopp Interior Design
  • Sara
    4 years ago

Which one did huh choose? Do you have a picture?

• Lori
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hi Sara, Just seeing this now so sorry for the delay. I ended up using Seapearl and while I loved the color, when I walked in those rooms I kept feeling like I had not painted the walls yet. It was on the north side of my home and looked a bit devoid of color. About 3 weeks ago I finally repainted it a color close to Pale Oak but a tad more gray, favoring paints with an LVR somewhere in the 70's for my northern rooms to give them some life. I will see if I can find a pic of when it was Seapearl and post it.

• rockybeach
    4 years ago

Lori - Which color did you repaint? I am considering. Sea pearl I want a simple, light overall neutral for a guys 11'8" x 11' bedroom that would work with navy. Do you think Seapearl might work? Unfortunately, I don't know if the room is north or south facing, it has one window in it. Thank you.

• rosalitta
    4 years ago

Hi there, I am in the middle of choosing a paint color for my living room and I stumbled upon this blog. I love BM Pale Oak, (I have it in my bedroom) however, I was looking to go 1 shade lighter in my Living room. I thought Seapearl would work but just read your note about you actually getting a color closer to pale oak. I was wondering what that color would be? Thanks!

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    4 years ago

Take a look at SW 7105 White Flour.

• rosalitta
    4 years ago

Oh goody! More paint chips. Thanks so much, I loved reading all your info.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    4 years ago

😊

• Lori
    Original Author
    4 years ago

This is my loft painted in Seapearl. Our builder painted all of our trim in SW Pure White if that helps give a perspective on the color. I must have taken this picture in the late afternoon since the sun is flooding in those west side windows, otherwise it is a little dark in there with the other 2 windows on the north side. It's now painted Pale Oak since I was looking for a bit darker, I have a picture of the loft in Pale Oak as well in case the comparison against seapearl would help. Just let me know and I can post it.

• rosalitta
    4 years ago

Thanks for posting this. Helpful.

• Twosit4me
    4 years ago

Lori,
    I would be very interested in seeing that same area in pale oak. I like the way the sea pearl looks a lot.

• kjaffe66
    3 years ago

I am trying to choose a white paint for a room that is primarily wood walls with light coming from the west and trying to avoid looking like a hospital room. The back wall is drywall and I wanted it to accent the wood walls. I was thinking white Dove on wood and either Dove Wing, Seapearl or Calm on the drywall. Will it offer enough “interest” or are they too close to call. Thanks Karen

• laurel w
    3 years ago

White dove in living room pale oak in dining with white dove trim and lower

• Cookie8
    3 years ago

Hi Lori,

A question for you. If your room was completely north would you have kept the Seapearl? I am torn between Pale Oak and Seapearl. There are lots of windows (where I want to paint) but sun will only come in through one smaller one and a skylight for part of the day. Being North do you think Seapearl will give a bit of warmth while providing brightness? I ask because you have lived with both colours. Did you find that Pale Oak "darkened" the room?

Thanks.

• laurel w
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I used it in other areas throughout the house, including a north facing room. It really is not dark enough to darken a room. I just used it again in an office and painted an accent wall with it. This is the white dove trim and Pale Oak walls.

• Cookie8
    3 years ago

thanks. Do you find there is much green to it?

• Cookie8
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I don't know how I missed it but the picture you posted above (living room/diningroom) are the walls in living room White Dove or just the trim? I find the dining room looks lighter in colour than living room. Is this sunlight playing with me?

I see your trim is actually wood. So the walls are White Dove. I like that too.

• Christina McCarthy Giehl
    3 years ago

i have a question. I’m was wanting to paint my house white dove. But the back of the house gets full on sun all day And I’m afraid it might be blinding. I was thinking do you think seapearl in the back with full sun would look like white dove in the shade? I’ve heard of people using two or three shades darker in bright light to get the actual color they wanted.

• HU-373378820
    3 years ago

Hello ladies. I’m looking for a wall color for my mothers house. Her walls are tongue and groove board. I’ve been playing with pale oak and since her living room gets very little light I can’t get a real grip on if it leans toward beige or gray or a mix. Her new countertop is Swanbridge by Cambria that has a gray undertone. Any suggestions about pale oaks undertones or another color suggestion? Paint looks different on hardwood as opposed to drywall. Thank you!

• kempek01
    3 years ago

HI HU,

You probably want to start your own thread. You will get more advice that way.

• mariatay3
    3 years ago

Does the sea pearl or dove wing read taupe? I have dark hardwoods that picks up pink in taupe or greige paint. I recently paint my living room , duck white and it looks pink at certain times of the day.

• elwst
    3 years ago

I have both seapearl and dove wing samples on my wall right now if it helps. Seapearl reads a lot more greige to me.

• afiner
    2 years ago

It looks like you have 3 colours on your wall. Which one is Seapearl and which is Dove Wing?

• Al Christianson
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

i just painted whole interior of 1980 home (with a lot of south windows) Dove wing-- we wanted a crisper white, to be more in style, but theres so much going on in the house that used up bandwith for crispness-- eg, lot of tile floors, also wood floors, we needed a calming color . Dove wing is kindof boring, but it is calming, and plays good second fiddle . It turned out well-- off white but cozy feeling throughout, without beiing creamy yellow . Easy to live with, ALso used pale oak in the 2 bths bc of oak trim there, nice but would have been too pinky for the whole house

• Mona Halem
    12 months ago

I have painted samples of seapearl and dove wing on my wall. I can’t decide which color I want for my bedroom. The room gets lots of sunlight and faces north so you can see the drastic difference between the two seapearl is much darker with more beige in it, and dove wing. Just looks more gray to me.

• Jules Torossian
    7 months ago

I just read through this whole post as I am looking for a kitchen wall color to go with White Dove cabinets. Sea Pearl is on the list but I also found Dune White (which is the next color darker on the White Dove swatch). I was surprised not to see any mention of it. Anyone consider that or have feedback on th Dune White?

• kandrewspa
    7 months ago

White Dove and Dune White have very similar LRVs, so they will be very slightly different - enough to just look like a mismatch probably. If you don't want any contrast, just paint the walls Dove White in matte. The difference in sheen means the cabinets and walls won't look identical, but they won't clash at all. If you want some contrast between the wall color and cabinet color you should be looking for a color that is at least ten points different in LRV. While other factors besides LRV matter for contrast, I've just found that anything less than ten isn't very noticeable. As several of the other commenters mentioned earlier, Pale Oak is a nice color and could be a possibility for you, or Winds Breath or Ballet White. My living room is Pale Oak and I sampled the other two before choosing it. I have strong southern light in that room.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    7 months ago

I am looking for a kitchen wall color to go with White Dove cabinets. Sea Pearl is on the list but I also found Dune White

It's worth sampling. Because they align in terms of hue family. There's enough difference in Value that the walls could look darker. Dune White is too dark and has too much Chroma to be considered a color of white, it's a Light Near Neutral. White Dove is an Off-White.

Sponsored