rockybird

New laundry room - is stacked w/d so bad?

rockybird
5 years ago

I’m converting a bedroom room into a laundry room (and adding a garage with attached separate room). How bad is it to stack them? I would like more counter space. There will also be a stacked w/d in the master closet.

Comments (8)

• PRO
    Krystal Threlfell - Redl Kitchens
    5 years ago

A stacked washer/dryer can be great. An idea for you - enclose the washer/dryer with cabinetry panels (similar to a full 24" deep side gable next to a fridge). This gives a nice built-in look, and allows you to secure a clothing rod to the side so you can have a nice hanging section next to your machines.

rockybird thanked Krystal Threlfell - Redl Kitchens
  • rockybird
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you Skmom and Krystal. This is really helpful! :) I want stacked w/d and I was fearful it was frowned on. I’m 5’6” without shoes, so I think reaching wont be a problem.

Krystal - I thought about the panels, and I think it’s a good idea, especially since the w/d will be visible from the doorway. A more built in look will appear may be less utility roomish.

• hcbm
    5 years ago

I am 5'6" and I can reach everything. I love stacked. Reach down pull out wet clothes and straight into the dryer. No door to work around, no dropped clothes and a small foot print. Here are some safety hints, if it is in earth quack country have the dryer secured to the wall. You need to be able to easily reach the water cut offs. Mine is electric and high up on the wall close to the front. I turn off the water after I finish the laundry as flood proofing. Machines need to be serviced and vents need to be cleaned so rethink those panels. If you really want/need them look for Endurings postings and see her beautiful set up. She designed cabinets that allow for access to everything. My laundry is in a very tight closet and I have to remove my dryer every time I need to clean out or service anything. I don't mind since I live in a 4th floor condo and anything is better than the laundromat.

rockybird thanked hcbm
  • dadoes
    5 years ago

Stacking is nice for usage ... not so much for servicing.

rockybird thanked dadoes
  • Mrs Pete
    5 years ago

I love the idea of stacking machines ... but I'm only 4'11", so I went to Lowes and pretended I was using the machines. Nope, not for me. Got over that idea in a hurry.

Also, I have sort of decided I'm not going to get front loader machines again. They're so big, and given that we're approaching our empty nester years, we don't need large size any more.

rockybird thanked Mrs Pete
  • skmom
    5 years ago
    I'm also 5'6"... and the shortest person in my family as my kids are all taller than me and have done their own laundry for years now. We decided to never house the machines in panels. We are a larger family, so our appliances get about double the amount of use per week of an "average family" so we have to consider them a little more disposable than most. Hubby is also very handy, so when repairs need to happen, he's the one who does the vast majority of them. We didn't want to have to work around panels.
    rockybird thanked skmom
  • rockybird
    Original Author
    5 years ago

This is really helpful. I can forgo the panels. That will save money :)

Where would you put the stacked w/d in the image below - the red or blue dot? I also included a pic showing how it fits into the house flow.

Sponsored