jrbrig

Help! Need to pick windows for new construction in Upstate SC.

Ryan Brigman
6 years ago
We are building a custom home in Upstate SC. We are very confused on which windows to choose. We like black or bronze exterior and want nice quality, efficient and a good value. Not opposed to vinyl but everyone says dark painted vinyl will not hold up long term and scratches during install, etc. We like the look of Alum Clad but they are pricey and more than our window budget and then have to add cost to paint interior wood! Reviews I am reading there are a lot of negatives on all brands! We have 25 windows plus 12’x8’ slider. Approx Quotes so far: Silverline painted vinyl $10k, Jeldwen painted vinyl and Aluminum clad both approx $19k, Sierra pacific H3 Alum Clad $17.5k, Windsor Alum Clad $16k, Marvin Integrity $20k. Called for quote on Okna vinyl since it was highly recommended in some of these threads but afraid it may be $$$. Help!?

Comments (17)

• DLM2000-GW
    6 years ago

We used Sierra Pacific/Hurd aluminum clad (dark bronze) casements and are very pleased - our second house using Hurd products. Although some here do not recommend them we've only had good experience. We're just north of you in Henderson County NC, btw. As for your costs and number of windows, that's not enough info for any kind of real world comparison. We have 28 windows (I think) and a double French door and our cost was $32k. Our son used the SP H3 (dark red clad) in his tiny house and is also very pleased.

• Ryan Brigman
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks! WoW what are your thoughts on Silverline 3900? I’ve heard they are low end builder grade but our building materials supplier recommends them over plygem and other vinyl options. I like the Marvin but $$$!
  • PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    6 years ago

What does your architect recommend?

• millworkman
    6 years ago

I willl second Windows on Washington and of those choices I would lean heavily toward the Integrity from Marvin.

• Ryan Brigman
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    We are using a stock plan and having it modified by the same stock plan design firm. The architect draws in wood windows but will update plans with whatever brand we choose.
  • PRO
    Level One
    5 years ago

I would highly recommend Windsor for your market. Windsor "beats" the competition when it comes to comps against the brands you mentioned. It is easy to sacrifice windows & doors for kitchen gadgetry... but when it comes to comfort and energy efficiency, it is best to invest (wisely) with your windows and doors. If you would like, I could provide a product comparison sheet for you that lists the major clad window brands side-by-side.

Best of luck with your project!

Patrick

• kariyava
    5 years ago

I have heard great things about Marvin Integrity. I can't believe your quote is so low (mine was much higher for the same number of windows) so I would jump on it!

• PRO
    John & Tellu
    5 years ago

Just anecdotal, but I've been scoping out several in-progress upscale neighborhoods (primarily custom homes) here in the upstate and have noticed they are mostly using Sierra Pacific windows. The cheaper builds and subdivisions here are using Windsor, Jeldwen, and occasionally Pella.

I'm not sure what exactly this says about Sierra Pacific, but I think it could mean that they would be an acceptable mid-range choice. I'm going to let them bid on our upcoming build.

• millworkman
    5 years ago

"I'm not sure what exactly this says about Sierra Pacific"

Just because allot of kids are eating Tide Pods doesn't mean they are good for you.......................

• Ryan Brigman
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks for comments. Update we actually have 28 windows. Noticed the same thing about Sierra P when driving through new high end communities. But we do really like the Windsor product seems really well built and multiple vendors say they stand behind product. Question if we go bronze they are recommending concealed jambliners which pushes the cost up but supposedly won’t look good from the exterior without? Also should we add factory primed on interior?
  • PRO
    Windsor Windows & Doors
    5 years ago

Hello jrbrig -

RE: “If we go bronze they are recommending concealed jambliners which pushes the cost up but supposedly won’t look good from the exterior without? Also should we add factory primed on interior?”

With concealed jambliners, you can get the exterior jamb covers in finishes that match your clad color. The compression jambliner, on the other hand, is only available in white or tan, so it would stand out in stark contrast from your bronze windows when looking at your home from the outside. I am including a link to our Concealed Jambliner Info Sheet, which provides further details.

As far as factory primed interiors, that's a personal decision, but I have found it is very convenient to not have to do that myself after installation.

If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Thanks!

• Ryan Brigman
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks Windsor. Do you have any photos side by side of bronze windows with and without concealed jambliners?
  • PRO
    Windsor Windows & Doors
    5 years ago

Hi jrbrig -

I wish we did have a side by side example, but with so many color and material options, that would be a daunting task. That is a great idea though and I've passed it along to our marketing team.

While compression jambliners are fine for common window colors, concealed jambliners are recommended in situations such as yours because they make for a much cleaner, more professional appearance. Those who have went with them have them have found it is well worth it.

Recently, I had a similar conversation with a homeowner, but it was after the windows were installed. Instead of ordering concealed jambliners, they had compression jambliners. Once they were installed, they were sadly disappointed with the look because of the color difference between the windows and the jambliners. They are now in the process of ordering and changing out the jambliners themselves. It is not difficult, but it is a lot of work.

Hope this helps!

• Ryan Brigman
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks Windsor. That helps. Now can you share some opinions on 2604 paint finish versus 2605? I know the warrantee is 10 years more on 2605 but have mixed opinions so far on if it’s needed. With black or bronze finish.
  • PRO
    Windsor Windows & Doors
    5 years ago

Hello Jbrig -

Great question. The finish choice may be influenced by your location. Coastal applications usually require the 2605 finish but people throughout the U.S. may request the upgrade if they want to be assured of extended longevity of the finish. Seeing that you are in upstate South Carolina, but not knowing exactly where, the 2605 finish may be a wise choice.

You may have already seen this, but for reference, I am providing a link to our clad colors brochure PDF, There is a table on the back page with additional information on coastal weathering and the differences between the two specifications: AAMA 2604 and 2605 Information

In addition, here are a few more details about the paint system that I hope will help with your decision:

Windsor factory applied heat-cured painted finishes are durable and very colorfast. The Super Durable Polyester TGIC and Fluoroset® resin-based paints block damaging ultraviolet rays of the sun and repel general air pollution. They will not whiten or pit when exposed to dew, fog, rain or acid rain and will retain their color and gloss level for many years, based respectively on meeting AAMA 2604 or 2605 specifications. However, to assure that they retain their original beauty, even these highly durable finishes should be cleaned occasionally. When selecting a cleaning solution, use mild soap solutions and avoid using strong acid or alkali cleaners as they may damage the finish.

If I can be of further assistance, please don't hesitate to reach out.

• lisachew5
    3 years ago

Hi Ryan, we are building in your area. Which window did you decide on? Are you happy with them?

Sponsored