jkneeg

Help turn a ho-hum living room into an edgy, transitional oasis

Jane N
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

About 9 months ago we moved. The area grew so popular it became unbearably congested but oh, how I miss that condo! Done in monochromatic off-whites, it was the essence of my taste. Sadly, my husband had his fill of "beige" and we agreed to do our new home in gray. As you'll see in the photos, we bought two charcoal gray velvet sofas (with a Greek key pattern,) a 60" distressed wood coffee table and an ivory, taupe and charcoal area rug. Other than the white fireplace and built-ins, the walls are Revere Pewter. Now I think, should the walls be white, or bone or maybe a dark taupey shade? An important side note, the room gets very little natural light. Our built-in bookcase showcases a lot of blue and white so sometimes I think about bringing in cobalt blue -- sometimes. Other times, not so much. I've played with different throw pillow colors and arrangements, but nothing speaks to me. We started to create an arrangement of architectural prints around the circular mirror - but will a gallery wall behind the sofa be overload? My latest thought is that a large, subtle abstract painting in shades of grays and browns above the sofa would be a better choice. But then, will that compete with the very large and very colorful abstract tapestry to the left? Also, a pair of Bergere chairs that looked fabulous in the loft, look sad and frumpy here. I'm so confused! I'd sure appreciate help taking this room from ho-hum to eclectic and edgy. I know what moves me: Just about any animal print fabric but especially leopard, antiques mixed with contemporary furnishings, beautiful lamps, and a well-edited room. And that's just the living room - don't even get me started on the dining room! As you can tell, I'm so overwhelmed it even makes my doggy sad.

I think the abstract painting above the fireplace doesn't work - wrong scale and too similar (same artist) as large tapestry on wall to left of sofa. Are my instincts right?

Too much on the bookcases? What else on the coffee table and, is the coffee table a mistake?

Gallery wall or architectural prints or one large abstract painting behind sofa? Throw pillows??? Wall color?

Here are some photos of rooms that make my heart sing...

http://habituallychic.luxury/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2015/10/robert-brown-interiors-atlanta-habituallychic-005.jpg

[https://www.houzz.com/photos/living-room-contemporary-living-room-san-francisco-phvw-vp~66707(https://www.houzz.com/photos/living-room-contemporary-living-room-san-francisco-phvw-vp~66707)

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/244672192238675060/

[https://www.houzz.com/photos/dining-room-traditional-dining-room-new-york-phvw-vp~66455(https://www.houzz.com/photos/dining-room-traditional-dining-room-new-york-phvw-vp~66455)

Comments (22)

• havingfun
    6 years ago

first i have no problem with your room as you have it now. such rooms are meant for the more dramatic art that you have.

I mix all my art, but this is to first answer your real question, is your art a design element? or is it like a piece of jewelry, something you love? that is why mine goes anywhere i never try to match it to my room design it goes anywhere i am.

First, I think you crave wood, not just brown. so lets get a wood coffee table. while on the coffee table, lets not stage it, especially with the small things, for the room in general lets try to be a little bigger and brighter.

Living Room Coffee Table with Steel Base Bowl Shaped - Reclaimed Wood · More Info

a couple examples involving a strong wood image. if you want an end table i would go with gold.
    Madison Park Zuri Faux Fur Square Pillow in Tan Finish MP30-1913 · More Info

Beige Leopard Design Velvet Pillows Cover, Wild Leopard Spots · More Info

Snow Leopard Faux Fur Throw Pillow · More Info

Pillows: Decorative, Accent & Throw Pillows | Pier 1 Imports · More Info
    a few animal prints.

• User
    6 years ago

I love the coffee table.

Jane N thanked User
  • Kendrah
    6 years ago

Think of the greys as a background for big, moody focal points.

1. Bring in more rich colors and 'Having fun' nailed it with this rug.

Modern Furniture and Decor for your Home and Office · More Info

2. Use dark and moody accents.

Cheetah Print Flock Organza Pillow Cover by BohoCHIC Maui, 18" X 18" · More Info

Gold Leopard Pillow · More Info

3. Simplify bookcase

Hollybar's idea for doors on the lower cabinets is excellent. If that is not in the budget, or until you make that happen, you can easily change the look by more carefully placing the objects on your shelves. Because you are going for a very staged look, I would move the books on the shelves to another room in the house, except for the larger books that are laying flat. Place one object on each shelf and play around with the balance. If you have any other objects that are blue or have saturated color, bring them in here.

4. Stage your coffee table

Before you get a new coffee table, play with making more dramatic the one you already have. Take everything off the top and bottom. Get a very large, moody, chunky tray for the top with some rich textures and deep colors. Make a stack of three big and hefty coffee table books. Add a circular low element with planting in it. Maybe a large low bowl of succulents.

Large Leather Tray with Brass Handles · More Info

Hand-turned Large Wooden Tray, Laced Redwood Burl, Figured Black Walnut · More Info

5. Large, arresting art as focal point

I think a gallery wall is too much like all of the little spaces on your bookshelf. I would get rid of the mirror. (Or consider placing it above the side table with the gold legs.) Go for a very large piece above your sofa. I like the idea of having framed a quite large textile or fine paper. So long as it is big and horizontal, I don't think it will clash with the tapestry. Make the frame dark and boxy.

• PRO
    MARGARITA BRAVO
    6 years ago

We really think your room looks nice. However we would recommend replacing the mirror above the sofa and decluttering the bookcases. Here are a few of our designs from our portfolio that might help with your dilemma.

High-End Lowry Home: Living Room · More Info

High-End Lowry Home: Living Room · More Info

Living Rooms · More Info

Jane N thanked MARGARITA BRAVO
  • ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    6 years ago

Your coffee table is the antithesis of the ones in your favorite rooms. You admire edgy, which probably would describe the coffee table in your first posted wish room, and I'm a little puzzled about your choice. However, there's nothing wrong with it, and you can stage it dramatically. The bookcases do look haphazard and need to be styled in a more precise, coherent way. It's true that your rug is too small and also needs to have more impact. The picture over the fireplace, should you decide to keep it, is hung too high, but it also seems vaguely wrong for this room, but if you love it that's all that matters.

Jane N thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • Jane N
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you everyone for all of your thoughtful critiques! To your comments about art Havingfun, I guess I see it more as a design element. I definitely agree that the painting above the fireplace is all wrong and I don't love it OR the large tapestry behind the sofa. Problem is, they are both by an artist of note who is my husband's cousin so he thinks they should be prominently displayed - but I am working on relocating them AND on hopefully selling the coffee table - which is also a recent acquisition that my hubby rallied for. In the meantime, your suggestion to accessorize it with more substantial pieces is a great one - so thank you for that! As far as going brighter, I have to own up to the fact that I am a neutrals-girl so think from this point forward I need to follow my heart - because failing to do so has resulted in many costly mistakes.

Hollybar: You hit the nail on the head! The scale is soooo off with that rug. Looks like I'm trying to squeeze 2 elephants onto a postage stamp. I like your Stark rug suggestion in part, because I didn't totally miss the mark when it comes to the rug's design, which is a subtle animal print (giraffe I believe.) I hope it will look good in the bedroom because that's its next stop. Re: resurfacing the fireplace and the "inspo" pics -- which photos did you see a fireplace in? Can you provide more about what you're thinking for the fireplace cuz I can't seem to find what you're talking about. I also like the "doors on the lower bookcase shelves" suggestion and will definitely get that done. I appreciate your candor about the coffee table and this in particular is most upsetting. It is a recent purchase selected by my husband. My gut said no but because I solely took the reigns in decorating our last home I wanted him to have more say. But it is a huge regret for me and a lesson well-learned. The visual weight of that coffee table in front of two dark, heavy sofas will never achieve the look I desire. Dare I admit the darn thing isn't even 6 months old! I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR COFFEE TABLE SUGGESTIONS FROM ANY AND ALL HOUZZERS. My thoughts are something contemporary. I'm also with you about the behind-the-sofa art. The round mirror was to be centered among an Architectural Prints Gallery (not meant to be a stand-alone piece) that I used in my last home. At this point, I'm leaning towards a large ,monochromatic abstract for behind the sofa but HOUZZERS, I welcome your thoughts and suggestions.

Kendrah: Love your suggestions about removing many of the books and better editing the bookcases. And, also your ideas about a few select dark, moody and chunky pieces on the coffee table (even if not this one) and, I have been looking for great fashion and interior designer coffee table books. I have a very large tan leather tray with chrome and leather handles - do you think that might be a good option. And for the large horizontal textile piece you recommended, what do you think about these Large Horizontal Textile Art/Papyrus (in the center/hallway of the photo)?

Thank you Margarita and Ingrid - and Ingrid, you hit the nail on the head! That coffee table is my nemesis - and as I mentioned earlier, it was my husband's selection. I don't love the painting above the fireplace and would welcome your suggestion for what might look right. And I will definitely get on those bookcases and work towards achieving a more polished, refined look. Would also welcome more ideas about an more impactful rug.

THANK YOU ALL!

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    6 years ago

You're so welcome. For the coffee table something like your first inspiration picture would be perfect. You need a glass and metal table that is in proportion to your sofa, and I think you can find something you love at amazon, overstock, wayfair or e-bay. I've found that one with a lower shelf is great for remote controls, books etc.

For the painting I would choose one that is square or more vertical (remember, you'll be lowering it) with quieter colors and less violent movement. Don't let others dictate your decor, even if it is a relative. This is your home, and hopefully you can find a more discreet spot for it, in a hallway or spare bedroom. I don't want to be more specific about what kind of painting, because it has to be something you love. There are so many on-line sites that I'm sure you'll find what you want. Just keep measurements in mind, because that can make or break the presentation in that particular area. If it were me I would choose a canvas without a frame so that the picture is the whole message.

Even though you like white, I would choose a large and warmer colored rug to offset all your cool tones. Try esalerugs (which you can return without cost) transitional rugs for a look you might like. Make sure it's as large as your room can take while leaving a border of wood of about 1 1/2 feet. Please keep us posted!

• Kendrah
    6 years ago

Does your husband like the look you are going for? I think it is great that you are including him on this room. You just have to find pieces you both like. Perhaps you will like the coffee table more once there is a different rug beneath it and it is styled differently. I think there is certainly room to make it work.

• hollybar
    6 years ago

Ahhh,sweet Jane.....I soooooo hear ya about wanting to involve hubs,thenbuying something he prefers even with your own doubts and then it sends the room into wonkland. Did it once many years ago and since I can be a might stupid,did it again recently. This time with a rug...which is now looking marginally less bad under a bed in the spare room. Ha! Your wonderful sofas deserves great jewellery,so yeah,replacing the coffee table is in your future,I think ;-) What element did Hubs like so much about this one....the size, the chunky sturdiness, the wood finish /colour? Does he like any of the tables in your inspo pics? I like to look at Candelabra,Perigold, and Kathy Kuo for coffee tables.

living room fireplace · More Info

The pic with the fireplace is on the opposite wall in the Mark English designed room in SF. (your second inspo pic) Sorry for the confusion! Sheathing a fireplace (tile,wood,steel) adds a lot of modern glamour into any space and overall,that idea of a highly edited,modern glamour is what strikes me about your inspo pics. (Not to be confused in any way with the girly, fluffy white things,mirrored furniture Hollywood glam look) Please keep us posted. You are clearly on the right track. Ps I like the art over the fireplace,just not there.

• mjlb
    6 years ago

From looking at your inspiration photos, I would say that you have great taste, and favor high end looks. If you were keeping your off-white look, I doubt that you would need much help. But the gray sofas in a new living room have thrown a wrench into the works.

I never say this, but I think a really good interior designer would be a huge plus for that room, because it needs architectural enhancements. The right designer would possibly rework the cabinetry to extend it to the ceiling and add doors to it, reface the fireplace, and perhaps incorporate architectural salvage for the kitchen post. Dimly, I can see how the room could be pulled together in a way that both you and your husband might like, but I think it would take a lot of doing. Once the architectural backdrop is in place, perhaps with a deeper color of paint, it becomes easier to do the rest.

ETA: re-reading your post:

I love your mirror with architectural prints - but not so much over the sofa. I do think those papyrus would look good over the sofa.

• havingfun
    6 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

i eliminated all the things you definitely did not like.

i think that the tray you spoke of would tame down the coffee table some. I still do not think white would be good. it would give you more of a country look.

you did not show us the right side of the sofa wall, maybe the paintings could go there. no longer predominant in the room, yet still there. the wall would be dedicated to this painter.

on the subject of the book shelves, you could move some shelves out if you like then i would put in larger things. remember shelves should be 1/3rd books, 1/3rd space, 1/3rd sculptural items.

• mjlb
    6 years ago

Random thoughts for your room - if anything appeals?

Rich, with some color

Moscow · More Info

Coffee tables

NEW NEUTRALS · More Info

Gray / beige color scheme

Transitional Living Room · More Info

• cawaps
    6 years ago

I love the last two coffee tables mjib posted.

• Jane N
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    mjlb- you totally get me! Yes! I have a consult next week with an ID who, based on his portfolio, is wildly talented and I believe will have no trouble interpreting my vision.

The 1st room in particular of those you attached, is gorgeous
  • Jane N
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    and... replacing the post with an architectural column - ideally one salvaged with the rich patina of an interesting history.
  • Jane N
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Love all the feedback! So again, thanks all and if you're so inclined, keep it coming. These suggestions really help me hone in on the direction to take.

Ingrid, I do like the coffee tables in those pictures and am wondering if a glass and metal or an acrylic with wood is the way to go. Certainly addresses the issue of too much visual weight bunched together. But then I also wonder if once we better utilize the space and buy the right AND right size rug, maybe a substantial coffee table will work. There are no walls separating rooms in the front of our home (living room, dining room and kitchen) and the LR/DR is about 40" long and 18" wide but one of the two sofas will stay positioned for TV viewing. However, I can certainly see adding a great modern chair and moving the sofa down to enlarge the room. I'm envisioning either a large rectangular abstract behind the sofa or the two large papyrus pieces I referenced in the link above. I agree, I don't see a white rug in this room and really appreciate the input about dimensions of rug border to wood floor. If you're able, I'd love to see some examples of warm transitional rugs you feel would work. And thanks again for all your time and thoughtful remarks!

Kendra, Yes, my husband does like to the look I'm going for and he's always been extremely pleased with the finished product of my decorating efforts but I think, like many men, when they enter a store, they feel compelled to make a purchase - not just look. He was drawn to this coffee table immediately and I broke my own rule by reluctantly saying okay on the spot - which is so not my M.O. I typically take time to assess whether we need the piece and whether the piece will work in our space as well as to consider alternative pieces - and this is especially so on high ticket items.H

Interestingly, you and Hollybar both had the presence of mind to ask why he liked the coffee table and now I know exactly what he liked about this piece... while he likes the distressed, reclaimed wood and the heft, the large turned legs are what really attracted him. Ladies, your question made me realize that years ago he pushed for a sofa table with the same large turned legs and quasi-country styling. I'd completely forgotten about that until prompted by you Kendra and Hollybar. So thanks for your thought-provoking remarks and questions! In the future I'll be wary of turned leg furniture! That said, if there's a way to make this coffee table work - I'd be open to it but feel this is something I'd rather leave to a good interior design pro because on my own, I just can't see it. AND BIG THANKS for the tips about online resources for coffee tables - those are 3 I wasn't familiar with and they have some really interesting pieces! I'm also giving serious thought to making the room more architecturally interesting and resurfacing the fireplace is definitely among considerations. Again, want to run these by a pro but adding some modern glam would be a welcome relief. And as you say, Hollywood glam/glitz is not what I'm pursuing. My desired look is not quite eclectic but rather what I'd call edgy transitional.

And YES MJLB, working with gray really threw me for a loop - in a way I'd never expected. If our sofas were in taupe or camel brown or something in that color wave that looks so pretty with warm off-whites, I'd be so much more at ease. But then of course, the art makes me crazy as do the lack of architectural detail and minimal natural light - and probably especially so since because our last place - that I am so obviously still mourning -- was a loft with walls of floor to to 14" ceiling windows, exposed ducts and beams. So yes, adding some architectural texture will probably make me very happy. While the coffee table in the 2nd photo is gorgeous, I think it could look matchy-matchy with the two gold tree trunk side tables I have at the outside arms of each sofa. The 3rd one appears to have some red in it and I just don't see red in this room. But as I mentioned earlier, that first room - Oo-La-La! So interesting and chic, yet looks comfy and welcoming.

Havingfun- Thanks for the tip about 1/3 books, space and sculptural objects. That's really helpful! I'll try to add more photos of my space at different angles. The right side of the room is a sliding glass door that leads to a balcony and a tall, narrow rectangular window. In the corner my husband put a 4' statuary marble column (on it's way elsewhere) but, it really needs to simply be a white space. There's a French gilt demilune console table at the other side and then next to that the fireplace... too much visual noise to add anything else. Not crazy about the rugs or pillow tho' - just not my aesthetic and for me, I think the browns are to dark for the sofas. But can't say enough about how much I appreciate all the options you've presented. It helps me narrow down what direction I want to go.

• Jane N
    Original Author
    6 years ago

This is a home that I find FABULOUS

• hollybar
    6 years ago

That home,Jane N, and the art in it, is absolutely spectacular. Hard to believe they did it in 8 weeks!

• Kendrah
    5 years ago

Jane N, that home is fabulous. I can believe they did it in 8 weeks. If you have enough money for a vintage condo on Lake Shore Drive in Chicago, you have enough money to make what you want happen in the time frame you want it to.

This brings the question of budget. Jane, do you mind sharing what your rough budget is for sprucing up this room? Your taste looks expensive and I am wondering how much you have to spend, if you are looking for budget buys or can splurge.

• mjlb
    5 years ago

Jane - Would you mind posting photos of the rest of the room -- especially windows? For me, the windows and the view are one of the most important aspects of the space.

I couldn't see your brass side tables in the photos, but I agree, those coffee tables would be too much. The last photo was to show a gray and beige color scheme, rather than the coffee table. I was thinking that since you previously had a quiet color scheme, it might appeal. But I'm much happier that the first photo, with white bookcases, and bold purple drapes appealed!

• PRO
    Deb Reinhart Interior Design Group, Inc.
    5 years ago

The solution to your room-is not product driven. The solution is composition. You have a terrific space-it just need the wow factor. The rooms you like are complete with balance and scale.

To view the room holistically, here are a couple of ideas.My role as a designer-always includes the following with clients

1. The walls need either an over scaled item [ art] or grouping of art items.

Tip-paper cut outs will give you an idea of sizes to resource. Use the room examples as a guide.

2. Take a chance with color-the bookcases will pop if the walls have more bold color

Light is key--do you have enough light for bold walls? if not-medium tones will work.

3. Bookcases-edit edit edit-! Do you need a showcase or function-? that answer should drive your direction. we all acquire-stuff! Do the items give you 'JOY'? or are they just familiar items?

4. I totally agree with replacing the cocktail table-edgy yet functional.

if you view the room as a whole not individual product--the results will be more effective.

Sponsored