cac546

Glass Stair Railing

cac546
6 years ago
What do I need to know about options for a glass stair railing? We're nearing the end of our build and just realized, thanks to Houzz, that the cable railings we were planning are a terrible idea in a house with small children. We're using a high-end custom builder so I'm confident our site supervisor will be on top of things but I'd like to know what to ask for.

Our stairs are a double u-shape, up to the 2nd floor and down to the basement, with a wall on one side in both directions.

I assume the glass has to be tempered. Is there a certain thickness I should be looking for?

What are the options for securing the glass in place? Our stairs will have a knee wall on the open size and the treads are closed. It seems like in some cases there are clips and in some there's a recess in the knee wall that the glass is set into. Is one option better than the other? I've attached pics of the look we like in terms of the knee wall and type of handrail, etc.

Thank you! And most importantly thanks to everyone who has posted previously about how dumb cable railings are with kids.

Comments (27)

• DH
    6 years ago
    sure.. if you have a house maid to clean all that glass every day

otherwise enjoy smudges all over and fingerprints everywhere
  • B Carey
    6 years ago

My kids would have all that glass smudged within 4 hours of moving in.

• User
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Cable railings and a spanking are a lot better than a smudgy constant mess. Kids can be taught not to climb stuff. They can’t be taught not to reach out to help balance themselves.

• tc_kellygirl
    6 years ago
    Geez - but kids _can_ be taught to spray and wipe the glass partition! And that would be a great job for even preschoolers if you’re prepared to overlook an imperfect job.

You get to decide which look you prefer and which annoyances you wish to avoid. I do think children can learn pretty quickly not to climb something like that.
  • User
    6 years ago

Though this looks nice, I would never want it in my house. Same with cable railings. They look to commercial.

• cac546
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    @BCarey. Very true, and we realize this but it's something we're fine to live with during their childhood years

@Sophie Well I have a PhD in psychology and 30+ years of pretty clear research evidence that spanking is a terrible way to teach kids anything so I'll pass. And given that "logic" I'm sure I could just teach them to use the wall side of the stairs but as I mentioned above, we're not worried about fingerprints.

@tc Exactly. Thank you :) While I'm sure we could teach them not to climb a cable railing, because of the design of our stairs it's a 25 foot drop from top to bottom and not worth the risk for us, especially since teaching visiting kids is a whole different ball game.

Now that we know where everyone stands on finger prints, if anyone knows anything about the design/construction of such a railing that would be great.
  • functionthenlook
    6 years ago

Sorry, I can't help you with the thickness and mounting of the glass, but I agree with you that cable railings and kids don't mix. Contrary to what kids think, mothers do not have eyes in the back of their heads. I would rather be cleaning glass than sitting in the ER or funeral home. Kids just think they are invincible and like to push their limits, their parents limits and do things knowing they are not permitted to do so. My grandchildren range from age 2-5 and they use the railing and not our wall.

• chispa
    6 years ago

I would rather have the cable than glass with small kids. When kids are little/short they don't hold on to the railing, they hold onto the spindles. There is nothing to grab a hold of with glass if they start to fall.

• Elle
    6 years ago
    We installed glass railings outdoor on my father in law’s balconies. They sell kits that are specifically rated for the job. The glass slides into little D shaped fittings that are then tightened. I would try to DIY this when there are so many existing options that the engineering has already been done on :)
    PS if smudging DOES bother you it’s as simple as just frosting the glass panes to reduce the visibility. Not exactly life ending like some seem to believe.
  • tatts
    6 years ago

You don't need to worry about those details.

This is not something YOU should be involved with at that level of detail. That's the architect's and contractor's job. If it meets building codes, that's all that matters. And no company is going to sell a railing system that doesn't meet code--that's a sure cause for going bankrupt from lawsuits.

Just tell the architect or contractors what you want.

• Suru
    6 years ago

I asked my DH who used to install lots of glass railings. He said that if the glass is to be installed in a channel like your pics, it should be a minimum of 1/4" thick. If you are going to attach the glass to the top of the treads or the knee wall using clips, you should opt for a thicker glass. With the clips you should go a minimum of 3/8" thick, and you can get 1/2" and 3/4" if you prefer. He said there is no "better" way to install (clips or channels), it just depends on the look you want. There are a lot of variables depending on whether you will have a top rail or not. The glass will definitely have to be tempered, but that makes the glass a lot harder to break in case someone falls against it or kicks it. Hope this helped.

• millworkman
    6 years ago

What you are showing is called a base show and typically you wuold use 1/2" tempered glass, depending on your locale you may be required to use laminated glass which would then be 9/16" thick. You can also use a post system with clamps, which would then be possible to use 3/8 tempered. You may want to look into pricing the glass railinsg as they can be anywhere from $350 to $500 per LF depending on your COL area.

• AnnKH
    6 years ago

Tony, I'm not cac546, but my DH and I managed to raise polite, respectful, well-behaved children without hitting them (they are now 23 years old). No hitting/spanking absolutely does NOT mean no discipline. If you are planning to have children, I encourage you to read some books on positive parenting.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    6 years ago

Could we please get back on topic.The person doing the railing will know the answers to all these questions The pics you posted do not show a knee wall on the open side. Generally with a knee wall on the open side all that is needed is a railing. Is it something like this or am I misunderstanding the design Could you maybe post a picture

• Geneviève
    6 years ago

With small children and their little fingers I'm having second thoughts on saying yes its beautiful but I'm not cleaning it !! . I remember when years ago we use to be able to slide down the railing in a flash:) all these modern décor has taken away the fun that we once had , no cable please what's next barb wire ?

• User
    6 years ago

@alison, I know sorry. It was just an example. Back to the subject.

• AnnKH
    6 years ago

In our house, it wouldn't be kid hand prints on the glass, it would be doggie nose prints.

• Geneviève
    6 years ago

Duplex Renovation, NYC · More Info
    Perhaps the wires can be an inspiration to future guitar players , but I don't like them I rather have a guitar to practice on.

• Geneviève
    6 years ago

Weed control killex if they still sell it. If the neighbours keeps their weed under control then our problem is half solved that's a fact! :)

• bichonbabe
    6 years ago

I have glass railing in my home. It is tempered and 1/2 inch thick. The glass is bolted to the side of the stair case. I also have a glass fence around my pool. Same glass but placed in clips.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    6 years ago

IMO we need pictures and the glass is easy to clean with a microfiber cloth and hot water

• PRO
    Horner Millwork
    6 years ago

3/8" or 1/2" tempered glass are the most common sizes. Clips are more cost-effective than recessed.

• erinsean
    6 years ago

If you have a knee-wall on the open side of your staircase, I am assuming you want to put the glass on top of that.....how much glass are we talking? Probably not as much as you showed in the pictures. I think it would look nice and so what if it gets smudged....little ones like to help mom or dad clean. Just as someone mentioned....tell your contractor what you want, give them measurements and they can get it done. I would probably use a thicker glass but your contractor can help with that. Would like to see pictures when you are done.

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    6 years ago

We rented a house in London last April that had a gorgeous glass railing on the staircases, both the one going up and the one going down (mews house - every inch of space counts!). My then 12/13 yr old grandchildren were with me. And my 47 year old son. All three got finger marks on that glass. It would have driven me crazy to live with that.

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    6 years ago

Did you have in mind something along these lines...?

• Judy Mishkin
    6 years ago

do a test... can you bend over/reach over your current stairs and rail and reach to the bottom to dust the outside? fingermarks on the inside are easy to reach... natural dust on the outside of the glass is a bit harder to reach. yes you can do it with a duster on a pole... and it will look like when i try to clean my foyer lamp with a pole.... just like i tried to clean it with a pole.

at malls they have a scissor lift to go through and clean it once a week.

Sponsored