drshrutikapoor

Shower for an “open” alcove shower- ceiling mount or shower rail

S K
6 years ago
Hi, I am remodeling a 5x8 main bath with an alcove tub. The tub has a non-load bearing wall separating it from the vanity. The surround tile is pretty and I am getting the wall between the tub and vanity converted to a pony wall and replaced by a glass panel for the top part. This should open up the bath (and make the expensive and beautiful tub surround tile with the 4feet horizontal niche visible).
The challenge is what to do about the shower which is on that wall that I’m cutting down. I don’t want to move the plumbing.
So the options are:
1. Have a only tub spout + hand shower
2. Add a ceiling mount rain shower to the above- will need a plumbing run of the pipe quite a bit to take it to the ceiling through the side wall.
3. Add a European style shower spout combination with an exposed shower riser (like the GROHE euphoria tub shower system) and the shower arm can be supported with a ceiling hanger (like in the clawfoot tub shower). This would show through the glass but might look sleek.
Of course each of the above option adds on progressive $,s.
Which one do you feel would be the best?
(Also, note the shower curtain rod attached to glass screen in pics, looks cool, am still figuring out if that can happen)

Comments (11)

• roarah
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Do I understand correctly, the plumbing is presently in the wall you want to change, you are also planning to keep the other two walls' tiles intact and not have to move plumbing? Have you spoken to a pro yet. If you are trying to keep existing back wall tile I think that might create a possible issue with waterproofing being compromised. I would assume waterproofing and tile will need to be redone. This will not be an inexpensive change.

• S K
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Hi roarah, you are correct. The modification is for the wall that has the plumbing and has the shower riser inside. The whole bath is already being ripped out and the tiles and waterproofing are being redone.
    For the pony wall, a tiled top ledge with gradient towards the tub and a glass panel on a channel sits on the wall. The wall will be waterproofed just like all other sides of the tub surround. In fact the mixer and tub spout location will be retained/ slightly adjusted.
    Thank you for your response.
  • roarah
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Sorry I thought you were trying to keep some existing tiled walls as is. Glad you are doing it right. With the right glass and bracket hardware you can attach exposed shower head fixtures to the glass panel. Codes may vary in locations though.

• S K
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thank you roarah!!
  • S K
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Hello, thank you for your responses.
    Unfortunately I realized another issue, if you see in the picture, there is an electrical outlet on the wall. Will cutting this wall leaving around 6” space for the outlet to stay be a problem. Will I need a permit to cut the highlighted section of the wall and replace with glass as highlighted?
  • S K
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Just to add, I’m also getting the soffit above the tub removed.
  • roarah
    6 years ago

IN my area I would need a permit for all of it. Are you doing DIY or using a contractor? What is the soffit for? I assume it had a reason, like plumbing, duct work or support.

• S K
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Hi roarah, I do plan on getting a contractor but wanted to see what all might be possible before meeting with him. The soffit doesn’t appear to be holding anything, no plumbing going that way, no vents that I can see on the other side of the wall, and it’s just the unused attic above it.
    Well, yes I probably check with the contractor for the permit bit.
  • alex is
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

It looks really nice, did you add a steam generator ? i think it would be a nice idea ! i installed one when i renovated my new house last month, when i moved my new shower and bathroom was looking really old and ancient, the siding was made of wood and it was really rusty and broken, i also did some repairing inside like panting, flooring, etc. changing the old doors was also in my plan, and actually the best thing on it now is the shower after i bought a generator for steam shower which makes really good steam. I think it would be really nice in your bathtub.

• S K
    Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Here’s how it looks now! Came out really cool

Sponsored