lifefilledhouse

Living/Dining: Help making it more bright, coastal, and modern

Florida Mom
6 years ago

We recently moved to a new state and are near the ocean. We'd like our house to feel coastal, but not overtly so (i.e., no dolphin pictures or "this way to the beach" signs). Our biggest issue is that our existing furniture pieces are quite traditional, and we don't have the budget to scrap everything and start from scratch with modern coastal pieces. So we're looking for creative, budget-friendly ideas for modern/transitional rugs, window treatments, art, decor pieces, and light fixtures that will allow us to make use of at least some of our existing traditional furniture.

Please note that there's a place to hang a light in the vaulted living room, and I'm tempted to buy a large, eye-catching fixture... but I need to purchase two coordinating fixtures (one for the dining area, and one for the stairwell) and I'm not quite sure how matchy-matchy the light fixtures need to be. Also, it seems that we need at least one more chair to round out the seating, and perhaps some TALL open, light shelving units on the very expansive, empty wall???

Thanks in advance for your help!

Comments (19)

Sponsored