tjwtexas

Cost of Hunter Douglas Blinds (and drapes . . . or not)?

TJW
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

We are still in recovery mode after our house flooded in August and now need to fit blinds into our budget. Understand this could range from budget friendly $$ to McMansion $$$$$ and of course we need to meet with someone or go to a gallery or store, but right now my 7-day, 80-hour weeks are keeping us online for now. Wondered if someone who recently (in the past year or two) did window treatments for a whole house could chime in with your ballpark cost, just so I can get some broad numbers in mind?

Living/dining room - one picture window flanked by a 'regular' single window on each side (we previously had one set of fabric vertical blinds there . . .yes, I know. I've read those are now bad) in living room + one double 'regular' (not to the floor or anything special) window in the dining room. I think 19 in all + a picture window. Kitchen has two - one regular window + a smaller window (normal size for over the kitchen sink). Den has one long window (longer than a regular double but shorter - high up on the wall ) + one regular single window. Laundry room that faces the front of the house has a double window. 2 bedrooms have 2 regular single windows each. Master bedroom has two sets of large double windows.

When purchasing and having nice window blinds or treatments installed in several rooms, might we be looking at $2,000? $10,000? More? Other than the generic picture window, we don't have any fancy windows (i.e., no multistory floor to ceiling window walls or bay windows or anything, just average windows). I think I may like the Hunter Douglas Silhouette, like the idea of maybe some motorized, do not like Roman shades, kinda liked the verticals we had before but I'm over it : ) I know better now : )) We have an open concept, wood-look tile floors and want a clean, modern, open (but still warm and cozy, not stark) look. It would really help to know if setting aside a couple grand, maybe five is sufficient or if we need to be looking at this as a "big" expense (like rewiring the house, adding can lights throughout, adding central heat and air . . . those were all "big" to us), or "manageable" (like painting the exterior, adding 3-4 windows).

Comments (6)

• Denita
    6 years ago

Pics really help.

TJW thanked Denita
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    6 years ago

Why not check what IKEA offers. I saw some great pleated shades the last time I was there if your windows are close to the standard sizes they offer for each type blind.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/categories/departments/living_room/10701/

TJW thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • PRO
    Calgary North Decorating, Benjamin Moore
    6 years ago

With 19 windows you would be starting in the $4000 range and up depending on brand, product, fabric choices and lifting systems.

TJW thanked Calgary North Decorating, Benjamin Moore
  • TJW
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you all! It looks like I we will have a snow/ice day tomorrow and in a rare move, I may actually decide to not make my 2-hour (each way) commute. Using $4k as a base figure will really help us run numbers tomorrow. Finite funds and many things still to do so having a general starting place is a huge help! Who knows, if I get to be home tomorrow, I may even be able to take pictures and make some calls.

• apple_pie_order
    6 years ago

Look carefully at the Silhouette style blinds maintenance info (online) to see if the way they have to be cleaned will be compatible with how you live. They are lovely, but cost a mint to be cleaned professionally, as well as the initial purchase cost of another mint.

Many people who remodel choose to install classic white cotton, washable panel curtains for the first year or two because the curtains are inexpensive and versatile. The cost can run under $50 per window with a basic curtain rod and DIY installation.

Sponsored