jackaferguson

This 70's ranch needs an update!

jackaferguson
6 years ago

We are currently working on remodeling the interior of this 70's ranch on a hillside. We would have loved to change the exterior style of the house and have higher pitch roofs and different lines, but due to budget we aren't able to do it. So we have to work with what we have. A new porch entry will be added to accommodate interior changes (shown in picture) and that will help on overall look.

How can we improve the look of this house to make it look updated and add some character? Materials, colors, lighting? Would love to see some before and after examples that can help us visualize changes.

Some considerations:

We aren't fans of modern and contemporary styles

Current roof is shingles

Driveway and landscaping will be updated as well

Comments (18)

• PRO
    SimpleDecoratingTips.com
    6 years ago

Hi, We're doing the same thing... a whole house renovation on our new house, a Mid-Century that I'm renovating to more of a Colonial Revival style. Your porch addition will make a huge difference! We are just adding a huge front porch to our house tto (see the porch progress here) (You can read along on our renovation process here)

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

With this picture, I'm not addressing anything but the "floor" of the entrance area. I'm not saying this is how it should be done, just that it should be done: create a spacious paved area that flows from the drive to the entrance. And get rid of the hedges that flank the driveway, blocking the view of the entrance. They make it seem as if the driveway should be for herding. Not saying it should be grass either. Just low.

• PRO
    Dig Doug's Designs
    6 years ago

some ideas

• apple_pie_order
    6 years ago

Do you plan to remove your pavingstone driveway?

• DH
    6 years ago
    with a ranch, the dark brown and black colors look absolutely beautiful
  • jackaferguson
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    apple_pie_order
    I Would like to keep pavers to save cost but would have to make sense with new facade and entry way
  • jackaferguson
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Designhome
    What do you mean? How would you use those colors?
  • acm
    6 years ago

I'd paint the front door an inviting color.

not sure how you can "update" a ranch that's only 40-50 years old if you don't like contemporary or modern, though. either you bought the wrong house or I don't know what "update" means!

• PRO
    Dig Doug's Designs
    6 years ago

some more ideas

• Sigrid
    6 years ago

Don't try to stick a craftsman porch on a 70s ranch. It's never going to look right. Get rid of the hedge, flank your porch with potted plants and run some flowering vines up the pillars.

• jackaferguson
    Original Author
    6 years ago

@Designhome

Thank you for you're recommendation. We don't want to change the roof, so exterior color we pick for walls and gutters needs to go with the brownish roof. It's been good to look on google to have an idea.

• jackaferguson
    Original Author
    6 years ago

@acm

Maybe I should have explained better... What I meant by updating the house is really giving it a face lift. What I meant by modern or contemporary styles are those very flat houses it flat (ish) roofs and little character in my opinion. Those, I don't like much. Just not my style.

• jackaferguson
    Original Author
    6 years ago

@Dig Doug's Designs(8A)

You have great ideas! I just wish you're working over the new version with the porch. That changes the look of the house. We did think about adding gables like you're suggesting but decided against it so we could save most of the roof and not have that additional cost.

• jackaferguson
    Original Author
    6 years ago

@Sigrid

I am a home owner, not really familiar with most styles. What makes a porch craftsman style and how could we make it look good given the rest of the house?

• PRO
    Sativa McGee Designs
    6 years ago

Adding the planned front porch and moving the entrance to the right some will make a huge difference.

Selecting a more inviting paint color/trim color will do wonders for the home.

I would do everything possible to dress up the garage door. It is really the only focal point on the front of your home.

Yardvaark(9A) had a great visual about extending you pavers over to the entryway. You could include a small bench with potted florals, a pot for the garden hose ect. up against the right side of the garage.

• PRO
    Dig Doug's Designs
    6 years ago

some new ideas based on your drawings

• emmarene9
    6 years ago

Nothing about this house is even slightly Craftsmen. I think any porch addition will look crammed in to the small space available. Don't do it.

If you care about the appeal of the house get rid of the horrible landscaping.

Sponsored