maddybeagle

Slab doors w/beveled or pillow edge: anybody have them?

maddybeagle
6 years ago

I find myself, rather to my surprise, drawn to the kind of slab cabinet doors that have beveled or rounded (pillow?) edges, sort of like this:

(from here: http://walzcraft.com/product/ledbetter-s105-cabinet-door/)

There was a discussion a few years ago about the vintage antecedents of this style: http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/2602319/painted-slab-doors-in-a-transitional-traditional-kitchen . I like the idea of evoking, if not replicating, the look of earlier-20th-c.-style cabs in this general mode, or the look of old metal cabs.

Anybody have something like this style in new cabs, as opposed to original vintage ones? Or have you found good inspiration pics? I'd be curious to see this style in the context of a whole kitchen and see what kinds of knobs and pulls people have used with them. I'm also wondering whether opting for this style would preclude using any glass in upper cabs, which I'm sort of thinking it would. I would.

Comments (29)

• mollymcbaby
    6 years ago

Not mine, but there was this laundry room with painted pillow cabinets a while back that was really pretty: https://www.houzz.com/projects/2473330/aintree

• palimpsest
    6 years ago

I like this door style a lot; the style and construction would both preclude glass doors, I think.

• maddybeagle
    Original Author
    6 years ago

mollymcbaby those are lovely! I particularly like the way the end panel and the door come together in this detail:

• maddybeagle
    Original Author
    6 years ago

palimpsest I will have to think about this and the options. I could live with closed cabinets in the kitchen proper, but the kitchen will be open to an eating area and small sitting area, and my Grand Vision is to have glass-fronted cabinets in a consistent style in the dining/sitting area to store and show off my dishes and other ceramic items. (Open shelves are right out; I'm game to Windex but do NOT want to deal with the dusting, and I know how much crud my kitchen currently deposits on anything on open shelves.)

• palimpsest
    6 years ago

Ledbetter appears to be a solid wood door vs. MDF + veneer so perhaps you could do a similar but complementary frame only door from Walzcraft or maybe they make a frame only option with the radius perimeter.

• maddybeagle
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

It looks like frame-only options are possible! It also occurs to me that if I went this route, I could conceivably use a great piece of furniture like a MCM credenza to display ceramics in the eating area, instead of built-ins.

• caligirl5
    6 years ago

I tried something similar to this, and it went a bit awry. I wasn't exactly looking at pillowed edges--I have a 1915 craftsman and wanted inset doors and overlay drawers like in my dining room built-in.

But when the drawer fronts got here, I didn't like it....something with the profile. I think it needed to be more pillowed, like in your picture.

I could have lived with it but decided to replace with inset shaker drawer fronts to match the doors.

I never had an in-depth discussion with the cabinet seller on exactly how I wanted the overlay drawers to look. I don't think modern drawers could match my built-in, but I think I could have gotten something closer if I'd communicated better what I wanted.

I seem to have cleaned out most of the pics I had saved. Here's one I pinned from GW from cotehele's kitchen. These are new cabinets. The pics are gone from the original thread :(

And here's another I'd pinned:

maddybeagle thanked caligirl5
  • palimpsest
    6 years ago

Caligirl,

What you needed is a 3/8" partial inset, partial overlay door where a 3/4" face is routed half depth to inset part way and overlay part way. And then the edges are beveled or rounded over.

I am doing this throughout my house and it's a custom thing, I have only seen this doorstyle still offered by Wood-Mode.

• maddybeagle
    Original Author
    6 years ago

palimpsest, good to know that Wood-Mode still offers that option.

• maddybeagle
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks, House Vixen. I adore that last photo!

• palimpsest
    6 years ago

Wood-Mode Concord Recessed:

• maddybeagle
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Oh! Very nice. I am on their site now. Bookmarking...

• palimpsest
    6 years ago

Wood-Mode Fairfield is similar but has more overlay on the frame?

• maddybeagle
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I just noticed that one. It's a very streamlined profile. I wonder how it would do on the glass question?

• mercurygirl
    6 years ago

Loving all the info here. In my research, I noticed that Scherrs has slab doors/fronts. Maybe they could custom bevel the edges, seems like it wouldn't be difficult.

http://scherrs.com/contents/en-us/d43_Slab_Doors.html

• PRO
    Scherr's Cabinets & Doors Inc
    6 years ago

mercurygirl - Unfortunately we would not be able to make custom slab doors with the pillowy rounded edges that you like. Perhaps check out one of our partners Northern Contours

maddybeagle thanked Scherr's Cabinets & Doors Inc
  • maddybeagle
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Scherr's Cabinets & Doors Inc Thank you for the response!

• lhlin
    6 years ago

These are the exact cabinet doors I fell in love with and are the only slab doors I've seen that I like! We're building a home for our retirement and I do want a slab style as they are easy to keep clean. The profile specs are on the walzcraft site so I'm hoping that look can be reproduced because it appears they only offer the one option for wood and finish. IMO the full overlay and routing angles of the pillow are what make these stand out.

• lhlin
    6 years ago

maddybeagle - If you're still following this post, I just found a good pic of these cabs on the HGTV site - I'm liking them even more now, but I would do mine in a little darker wood stain finish...this is all a bit too 'yellowy' for me. Not a fan of this hardware either...still searching for what I'll use with these cabs.

• maddybeagle
    Original Author
    6 years ago

lhlin, I am following! Good find! Thanks! I agree I don't love the colors and finishes in that example, but I do like the look of the cabs.

• PRO
    Amish Custom Kitchens
    6 years ago

Amish Custom Kitchens in Chicago can get you the original look you are going for with flush inset doors and partial overlay drawers. The drawer fronts can be slab or 5-pc. Give us a call next time.

maddybeagle thanked Amish Custom Kitchens
  • lhlin
    4 years ago

Hey maddybeagle! just wondering if you're still here and what you decided on in the end? We're finally getting close to cabinetry...a few hiccups in the process, but slab, framing, roof are up and I will have to be making a decision soon on where I'm going with the kitchen...still leaning toward those pillow edges :-)

• maddybeagle
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

HI lhlin! The project got put off because of extensive vet bills last year (for my namesake beagle) and has grown in scope, so I haven't made any decisions yet. I'm just now at the the stage of interviewing architects. But thank you for drawing me back to this thread! Do post what you decide to do, and I will keep everybody posted.

• lhlin
    4 years ago

Ooohh, I hope your furbaby is OK now! What a sweet picture of her on your profile. (I am so gonna check out all your Idea Books.)

• maddybeagle
    Original Author
    4 years ago

She is, thanks! A zillion symptoms resolved into one treatable disease and she's doing really well now. Thanks!

• elktoe
    3 years ago

maddybeagle thanked elktoe
  • maddybeagle
    Original Author
    3 years ago

elktoe Very nice! Do you know what cabinet brand that is?

• elktoe
    3 years ago

Fieldstone is the brand and the door style is aero.

maddybeagle thanked elktoe
Sponsored