roselee_gw

Horse herb and frog fruit as ground covers ...

roselee z8b S.W. Texas
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

The native grasses blooming the fields across the street were beautiful. I wish I'd taken a photo, but the city mowed recently exposing an vast lawn of 'horse herb', 'frog fruit', and mixed grasses: Bermuda, St. Augustine, and native; also beautiful ...

Here is mostly 'horse herb' in a more shady area ...

Close up ...

A neighbor is getting ready for his annual Halloween fun house. Looks like a hound is already haunting the place ...

My next door neighbor's h*ll strip is almost solid 'horse herb'. It's also growing along with the St. Augustine in their front yard ...

In a sunny field across the way there's more 'frog fruit' and less 'horse herb'...

That Alfie is such a ham posing out there! (It has nothing to do with where I'm pointing the camera, of course ;-) ...

Just for fun here's a shot of my beloved mulch pile which I invited tree trimmers working around the neighborhood to furnish. But they kept on adding more and more so I had to put up a sign ...

For anyone considering adding native ground covers I hope this will give you a hint of how well they grow. They have always been there, but the rains have helped them to flourish so in a very dry year they might need a bit of irrigation in a landscape.

Comments (15)

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    6 years ago

They can over run a garden and go where you don't want them. I am not fond of the horse herb for this regard.

roselee z8b S.W. Texas thanked wantonamara Z8 CenTex
  • roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    6 years ago

You are probably right. Although neither plant has become a problem in my yard, and that's likely because I use a heavy cover of mulch in all the planting beds, but as we can see they certainly have had no trouble covering these fields or the easement in back of our house.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    6 years ago

I do have to pull horse herb in gardened areas but I love it for areas where I am encouraging groundcover. I wish that I hadn't recently mowed it, not much to look at just now.

roselee z8b S.W. Texas thanked PKponder TX Z7B
  • roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I was just next door planting Crawford lettuce and cilantro seeds for my neighbors and noticed there's a lot of 'horse herb' in their back yard as well as the front. Since they pretty much let the weeds grow, and just mow them down periodically, at least it's a weed that stays low, covers well, looks neat, and saves mud being tracked into the house by their three dogs.

• bossyvossy
    6 years ago

I hate horseherb, despite its pretty yellow flowers. Luckily not too hard to pull if you get a good hold of the rootball.

roselee z8b S.W. Texas thanked bossyvossy
  • blackwillow87
    6 years ago

Wow those are beautiful spaces. I have some frog fruit in a pot, I'm just waiting for the cooler weather to arrive so I can plant it around my banana plants.

roselee z8b S.W. Texas thanked blackwillow87
  • castro_gardener
    6 years ago

If you have dogs, they like the horse herb for their digestion. Mine eat it often in the yard. They hunt it out.

roselee z8b S.W. Texas thanked castro_gardener
  • roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Blackwillow, I remember that you had some frog fruit. I don't think you could hurt it by planting it now.

Thanks Patty for that info. I didn't know the dogs liked it. When I find it again I'll leave a little patch. As it is now they munch on Blackfoot daisies. They really prefer echinacea. I've got some seed planted to get that going again.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Come to think of it Alfie does start munching on something when out in the field, and so does Sport. I thought it was grass and tell them 'No' because when they eat grass they throw it up, but I bet it's horse herb.

• blackwillow87
    6 years ago

Sorry for the late response roselee, I didn't get an email alert. I'll plant the frog fruit now, I just need to get some mulch to put around it.

• carrie751
    6 years ago

Let me just say that I rue the day the birds gifted me with this. It spreads like wildfire and no amount of digging and pulling has rid me of it. Now it is spreading all over my property, and I am not happy with that. My advice to anyone planting this, proceed with caution.......................it is worse than anything I have ever dealt with.

roselee z8b S.W. Texas thanked carrie751
  • PKponder TX Z7B
    6 years ago

Sorry that it has become a thug in your garden, Carrie. It came with our yard and I often have folks messaging me asking for horse herb. My dogs do munch a lot of it in the backyard, I didn't know that it was good for their digestion and usually fuss at them to stop. They invariably come inside and upchuck on the carpet.

roselee z8b S.W. Texas thanked PKponder TX Z7B
  • bostedo: 8a tx-bp-dfw
    6 years ago

Horse herb is one of several plants that seem to struggle where I want them and thrive where I don't. It has spread through the local park in spots too shady for the Bermuda where it looks good even after the weekly cut.

I had started letting it grow into and through our new sun beds this year as Sally Wasowski described doing in her north Texas yard, but found with a few hours of sun it can smother things that stay much less than a foot tall for any significant portion of the growing season. Somewhere in the following photo are a blue grama, gaura, and four-nerve daisy that need to be uncovered if still alive. This is one season of growth off of a well established mother plant that was about 3 ft beyond the frame.

I like it, just haven't figured out how to live with it in the garden. It isn't reliably dense as a lawn alternative in heavy shade (with rabbits, anyway). Only place it has not been too aggressive or too sparse is with 1 or 2 hours of sun in an idle corner where we're eventually going to build a shed. Think I'm going to try to remove it everywhere else on the lot and apply a pre-emergent in the spring to keep its seeds from germinating under the cover of the larger plants.

roselee z8b S.W. Texas thanked bostedo: 8a tx-bp-dfw
  • sabalmatt_tejas
    6 years ago

Two of my dogs like to eat horse herb also. I've let it fill in a large area of my front yard. It grows where bermuda and st augustine will not.

roselee z8b S.W. Texas thanked sabalmatt_tejas
Sponsored