shannon_daily

Installing New Construction Vinyl Windows (Okna) in a Buck?

Shannon
6 years ago

Hi all,

After months of research, I thought we finally had decided on our new construction vinyl windows. Across the board, Okna received the best reviews and ratings. We thought everything was set, and then our window dealer suggested we visit a new construction home on which they had installed Okna windows. Big mistake. I hate the way the windows look raised off the side of the house (i.e. if you ran your hand along the outside of the house, it would have to slide up the trim to touch the glass). We are building a farmhouse that I really want to look timeless. I would like the windows to look set in the set of the house with surrounding trim and a window sill. How can I use these windows and still get the effect of a traditional window sill?

Our window dealer suggested two options:

(1) Order them without a nailing fin and install them in a buck, which would give the look of a traditional wooden window. My question - can this be done with hardiplank?

(2) Build up the trim around the window so that the window and nailing fin don't stick out. Any thoughts on how this might look?

I'm very interested in other ideas. We would prefer to stick with vinyl windows for budget purposes. Here are two pictures: the first is of the installed Okna window, the second is of a wooden window that has the look we like. THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!!!

The Okna windows:

The look we want (with a window sill):

Comments (36)

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    6 years ago

Ordering it "finless" is an option as is building up the trim. Building up the trim should be pretty simple.

Any parts of this plan incorporate any rigid foam on the exterior either? That will bury the window back as well.

Shannon thanked Windows on Washington Ltd
  • Shannon
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks for the response! I don't think we're doing rigid foam on the exterior, but I could be wrong. I see from your page that you sell Okna windows. Do you happen to have any pictures of Okna windows installed "finless" or with trim built up?

• PRO
    6 years ago

I don't have any of the trim built up. We have done a few home with exterior foam and that buries the window in the opening and will give you more of that inset look that you are going for.

This isn't my picture, but you can see how when you either run a finless exterior and set the window in or you have a thicker sheathing via foam or a thicker siding...you can get the look you are going for.

• randy6831
    6 years ago

I don’t think you’re ultimately going to be able to get the look you want with Okna double hungs, no matter how they’re set, due to the exterior profile. Your best bet would be casements or another type of window (fiberglass, composite, wood). Here’s a couple of jobs we’ve done in Okna vinyl. You can see the double hung have the beveled exterior, while the casements sit flat.

• PRO
    6 years ago

If its a 2x6 exterior wall and you order the window without a fin, she could push the window in and leave herself with a 2" jamb on the inside and still have the window sit 3.5" inside the outside trim. The deepest part of the window (i.e. screen track) is 4.5" from the inside edge of the window. The 1x4 (better to use 5/4) trim on the outside would provide a total depth at that edge of the trim of over 7 5/8" and the screen could be nearly 3" inset from the screen track if she pushed it all the way to the interior wall. Its all doable but the double hung with the screen track does deepen the window.

• randy6831
    6 years ago

That’s all correct, but I think the cove molding is still going to detract from the look she’s wanting. The only vinyl windows I know of with a completely flat exterior are Sunrise’s single hung and Jeld-Wen - neither of which are in the same league with Okna’s 500 or 800 series.

• PRO
    toddinmn
    6 years ago

This is with a nail fin.

• Shannon
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you all so much! Our exterior walls are 2x4, so unfortunately, that will not help with the depth issue. Perhaps I am overthinking this, but I really just want a house with traditional windows. We are building on 16 acres and would like for the house to look like it's been there for a long time. I know the best way to do this would be some of the upper tier casement windows. However, our house has 67 windows, which makes upgrading cost prohibitive.

Do you think the depth issue would be as apparent on a white house? Here's a rendering of our house to give you an idea of what I'm talking about.

• PRO
    toddinmn
    6 years ago

I don't think so, you'll probably be the only one that notices.

Shannon thanked toddinmn
  • PRO
    toddinmn
    6 years ago

What are you using for exterior trim?

• Shannon
    Original Author
    6 years ago

We are using smooth hardiplank. I think that should come out further than vinyl?

• dbrad
    6 years ago

This one issue is what caused us to decide against vinyl windows entirely. We didn't like the protruding/beveled look either, and as mentioned above it was the Jeld-Wen that honestly looked ok to us, but its quality/reputation kept us looking elsewhere. We didn't look at some of most expensive vinyl windows (because once the prices got up into wood/fiberglass territory we weren't interested in vinyl at those prices anyway), but that look seemed to be inherent in all the vinyl windows we considered.

Our wood/aluminum windows are being installed today, and (now that I'm done choking on the check I had to write) I love how they look. We don't have quite as many as you - we have 54 - but enough that the upgrade cost wasn't insignificant. I can honestly say though that the increase was worth it. I'll skimp somewhere else if I have to.

Shannon thanked dbrad
  • Shannon
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Dbrad - thanks for your input. Which brand of windows did you go with? I'm finding it so frustrating that no one sells a "normal window" anymore. In terms of cost, how much more percentage-wise were the wood/aluminum windows?

• dbrad
    6 years ago

Sun Windows

Aluminum-clad Wood

They were roughly 30% more than Jeld-Wen's premium vinyl (that's a negotiated price - original quote was probably 40% more).

• Shannon
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Congratulations! We actually are getting a quote from Sun, too. That's not a horrible cost difference.
  • dbrad
    6 years ago

We didn't think so either. Although we're trying to avoid falling into the well-while-we're-at-it spending trap, certain things are worth spending more for.

I do need to stop finding certain things though.

• Ron Mexico
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

todd, is that a window or a porthole? Holy moly. Why not just cover the glass with brown trim?

• PRO
    toddinmn
    6 years ago

That is an awning window in a tub shower area.

• Shannon
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Ok, guys, I have a follow-up question. Our window dealer suggested ordering the Oknas with factory-installed brick moulding to recess the window into the wall a bit more. He also suggested reducing the jamb to account for that additional depth. Any thoughts on this idea?

Also, if we ordered the windows without a nailing fin, how would they be installed?

Here is a picture of the window with the brick moulding. I like the way the brick moulding comes out further than the window, giving it added depth.
  • PRO
    toddinmn
    6 years ago

Usually vinyl Windows with brick attached also come with a nail fin. If this is the case I would use the nail fin.

I'm not sure if I am understanding correctly.

• Shannon
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks for the response, Todd! Sorry if my questions were confusing. I'm interested in knowing (a) whether adding the brick moulding to our Okna windows will achieve the desired look of a more traditional window, and (b) if we ordered the windows without a nailing fun, as Windows on Washington suggested, how they would be installed. Does that make sense?
  • PRO
    toddinmn
    6 years ago

Not fond of not using a nail fin on new construction.

The window would be installed with screws through the jamb just like on old construction work. It looks like the brick mold would be set against the sheathing and house wrap or on of the board you have there?

you are going to use the 1x trim in adding to the brick mold?

• PRO
    toddinmn
    6 years ago

Are you sliding the 1x into the slot where the siding would go?

• Shannon
    Original Author
    6 years ago

To be honest, I really don't know where the trim/siding would go. What would be typical?

• PRO
    toddinmn
    6 years ago

Typically it isn't typical to use trim around the window when the Windows have built in brick mold.

• Shannon
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Ok, then we may not use the trim around the window, but how would the brick mould be installed with hardiplank siding?

• PRO
    toddinmn
    6 years ago

I think it would look fine , but it all depends on the look you're going for.

They should be able to use a nail fin in that application

• PRO
    HomeSealed Exteriors, LLC
    6 years ago

The Okna brickmold has a nail fin that extends out from the edge of it as opposed to some where the brickmold snaps over the fin. It does not have an integrated j-channel. It would work fin in your application and give a nice, traditional look as well as offer the benefit of the nail fin. Personally I like the nail fin more for its integration into the wrb/flashing system as opposed to any benefits from a fastening perspective, but either is fine... Beyond the brickmold, you could choose to add a trim piece in between the siding and brickmold, or run your siding right up to it. Some might opt for that added trim on the front of the home only to save cost on the sides and rear.

• Shannon
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks, all! We are still considering our options and have received additional quotes for Windsor Legends PVC Windows, Legacy PVC Windows with Cardinal-Insulated Glass, Jeld-Wen W-2500 Aluminum Clad Exterior/Wood Interior, and Sun Aluminum Clad Exterior and Wood Interior Windows. From a pricing perspective, here is the ranking from cheapest to most expensive: Okna, Legacy, Windsor, Jeld-Wen, Sun. We saw the Jeld-Wen in person at Home Depot and don't really care for it. It looks fairly cheaply made. Any thoughts on how Legacy, Windsor, and Sun compare to Okna?

• millworkman
    6 years ago

"Any thoughts on how Legacy, Windsor, and Sun:

From what I know, no comparison, Okna all day.................

• PRO
    toddinmn
    6 years ago

Win,win. Best for least.

not familiar with Sun, wood usually is more than best vinyl options.

Shannon thanked toddinmn
  • Shannon
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks, Todd. What specifically makes the Okna better than Windsor Legends and Legacy Products (this is the Legacy based in Richmond, VA, not elsewhere)?

• PRO
    toddinmn
    6 years ago

Build quality, performance numbers for U values, air infiltration and DP ratings, history of putting out a solid product and usually backed by solid companies doing the installs.

• Shannon
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you! What other brands would you suggest? For me, the number 1 issue is aesthetics. With the Okna, we would have to get the brick mould to try and get close to the recessed look (traditional wood window) we want. I'm just trying to explore other options that may be easier.

• PRO
    Level One
    6 years ago

Hi Shannon,

To get the desired look, for the look you are trying to achieve, I would recommend the following based on our twelve years as a Windsor distributor/installer:

1) Windsor Legend double-hung windows with exterior moulding factory applied. This will give you the set-back look you are desiring and still allows the Hardie planks to "dive in" to the side of the window trim. We completed numerous homes, that were a farmhouse architectural typology, in the South Carolina Low Country as well as Savannah, GA area with the Windsor Legend series .

2) Windsor Next Dimension classic series with nail fin and no brickmould attached. You will still need to have the window recessed so it is set back, then have PVC exterior trim applied so the Hardie plank "dives in" to the window trim.

If you are using 2 x 4 exterior walls, the builder will have to fur-out the inside of the window wall so the drywall and interior window trim can be applied appropriately.

Hope this helps!

Patrick

Sponsored