rita_schiferl

Concrete mantle

Rita Schiferl
7 years ago

Here is the mantle. The picture is on the adjacent wall. Looking for a rustic look.

Comments (11)

• houssaon
    7 years ago

From what we can see the mantle looks traditional, not rustic, but I wouldn't change it. Love the painting.

• Rita Schiferl
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hope these photos are more helpful.

• Rita Schiferl
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Here are a few more.

• PRO
    Mountain MT Homes LLC
    7 years ago

Yes this does look good but Rita, what are you looking for in this room? Is this room the main living room with the tv above?

Ken

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    7 years ago

Imo you leave this just as is. The mantle can't be decorated due to the close proximity of the tv. The little wooden tray is cute but too overshadowed by the tv. It could work on a coffee table or console though :) Painting the mantle would be a mistake and with the tray ceiling 'rustic' will be a stretch. Possibly a vase on the hearth in a colour taken from the painting.

I agree with others--great painting!

• PRO
    Mountain MT Homes LLC
    7 years ago

As a different paint color would help as your photo here blends too much for the look!!

Ken

• PRO
    Otis Creek Construction
    7 years ago

Do you know if it's solid concrete or just plastered laths. If it's solid concrete, you would be able to screw wood furring strips to it with concrete anchors and wrap the mantle in a rustic wood. I have wrapped drywall mantles in Cherry Wood before for a more traditional type look. Where are you located?

• felizlady
    7 years ago
    I would put the tv down lower (eye level to a seated adult) and have a console right below it, rather than above the fireplace.
  • KK Johnson
    7 years ago
    This appears to be a cast iron stone fireplace (synthetic stone) which can be stained, not painted and especially no latex based paints. If you stain it you can achieve the more rustic look to tie everything together.

This has been stained two different colors but it give you an idea
  • PRO
    Otis Creek Construction
    7 years ago

Rita,

Update us on what you've decided! We're excited to see your progress.