tinamluke

Turn exterior into French County style?

Tina Luke
7 years ago
We are interested in buying a farm house in upstate New York. We don't like the exterior and would like to change it into more of a French country style. Do you have any suggestions? Paint colors? Window boxes? Is it possible to change the roof line ? Perhaps a hip roof on the ends? Landscaping?

Comments (29)

• Snaggy
    7 years ago

Why buy it if you don't like it ! would be cheaper to find one you do like the look of ?

• qam999
    7 years ago

It's typically very expensive to change the style of a facade, and the payback is rarely there. I agree that the appearance of the house is poor. Rather than change style/genre completely, if you must buy this house, I'd just focus on tweaking what's there. With an architect's help of course!

1) Remove that fake-looking stone that's been applied like wallpaper. Go for clapboard or even stucco

2) Leave house white; paint garage and its doors gray

3) Maybe a trellis over garage doors, with an evergreen vine

4) More landscaping

Good luck!

• Bailey R
    7 years ago

Look for something more your style...

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Buy or build a different home. You can not get "theah.......from heah" unless you knock it down. Find a lot, find an architect, and plan two years to get to the finish line of what you want. Start from 1.5 mil atop the lot.....depending what part of "upstate" is "upstate" NY

• Tina Luke
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thank. You for all your comments. Unfortunately in this market there are not many choices other than more McHouses. The interior fits our needs in terms of space and it comes with acreage and other amenities which make the price descent.

The rock really is atrocious. Stucco is an idea we have been toying with.

We do have a house plan and are considering building but the cost of that will be significantly higher than a major rebuild of this house.
  • User
    7 years ago

If you think building new costs less than a "significant" remodel, then you haven't remodeled before. Remodeling is by far more per square foot.

• Bailey R
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

If everything ELSE about the house suits your needs why is the facade that important? Can't tweaking it some via paint, landscaping, hardscape ,etc, make it more your style without a major exterior remodel? It's not my style either, but the last thing I'd want is acreage ... everyone has different needs /wants.

• Stewey
    7 years ago
    This house is clearly going to need a new roof soon. Plan your exterior re-do around the color of the shingles.

1) pick an architectural shingle, perhaps in a heathered brown. This will soften the angles.
    2) if you are keen to change the roofline, combine the three dormers over the garage into a single shed dormer, to simplify the roof.
    3) you are right, the rock face is so ugly, and is really the thing throwing off the facade. Rip it off and replace with clapboard, perhaps shingles. Consider a cement based product like Hardie board (which also comes pre painted).
    4) the entry is in a strange location and also throws off the house. Can it be moved to the rock portion to its left? A recessed entry, so that the existing house becomes the overhang, would look interesting. Do something with the stub overhang over the existing entry.

Tight inventory is the norm where we live as well and the house is salvageable, particularly if the floor plan works, you like the location and the lot. But instead of going Mediterranean (which I fear could make it worse), think clean lines, simplified modern. The house sits pretty on its land and deserves a little TLC. A good architect will steer you in the right direction. Best of luck!!
  • Stewey
    7 years ago
    Also I have to add, the shutters aren't doing the house any favors. Take them off.
  • Cheryl Stoyle
    7 years ago
    That's the best "farmhouse" you could find in upstate New York!!?? Based on what I know about the area, in that price range you should be able to find a real farmhouse or build one. That looks like a suburban Jersey mansion...
  • Stewey
    7 years ago
    Last comment: I don't know the architectural language for this but on the rock face bum pouts, the roofline extends in at the corners and then stops. When you take the rock facade off, extend the roof line so it cuts clear across the front, unifying the bump outs with how the rest of the house was built. All of these changes with make the front more cohesive, and closer to how it should have been built in the first place.
  • Stewey
    7 years ago
    Okay, this one really is my last comment! The scale of the windows to the far right (behind flagpole), is also off. Depending what is there, longer windows or perhaps a slider would balance it out. A good look at balancing the fenestration really will help. But there is so much you could do to beautify this hopped-up teenager and turn her into a well-styled lady.
  • spraguec
    7 years ago
    You have a wonderful house - very inviting. By French farmhouse style, perhaps you are envisioning a soothing, romantic, welcoming style. French and European style is muted and as such, I would eliminate all the white and select a muted color from the stone facade. Then I would add window boxes which cascading plants and a full arbor across the entire expanse of the garage.
  • decoenthusiaste
    7 years ago

Modern Farmhouse · More Info

Napa Valley Residence · More Info

N Maney Avenue · More Info

N Maney Avenue · More Info
    Modern white farmhouses might inspire some of your reno. Yours will require getting rid of both the stone on the facade and the retaining wall and columns out front. I'm thinking that tallest un-rocked gable could be removed to bring the home into a more realistic scale. Metal roofing, when the time comes, would tweak it on into a decent farmhouse, if you can live without French Country.

• Tina Luke
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    We appreciate the ongoing input. We have done several major remodels including gutting homes down to the studs, etc. as well as building new. So it is correct that often building is less expensive on a per square foot basis.

Regrettably one of my character flaws is that architectural appearance is important to me. I drive realtors nuts sometimes because if a house does not present well from the curb I may no even venture in. lol! Aside from my career I am also a professional photographer so graphic lines and good design elements are just part of my makeup.

Stewey: I appreciate all your input and that, combined with a few other thoughts presented helps a lot. I agree that a clean modern approach may be the better bet. I just do not know what the owners were thinking when they used that rock not only for the exterior but also for a large fireplace (which we would have to redo).

What does not show here is a wonderful custom pool, a volleyball court that can be turned into a ice rink, play area, and outside entertainment area with fire pit. 2.5 acre lot that is well done. The interior space is bright and well laid out...it just needs updating. The cost is very reasonable so I believe there is enough financial room to fund the renovation without going over market value. Even with that cost I believe it can come in about $200k less than a custom build which would not include a pool or other amenities.

We intend on living here for at least ten years. I have looked at homes for my entire career more as investments. This go around I would be fine if in ten years I can get what I put into it.
  • Stewey
    7 years ago
    I am with descoenthusiast: white, no shutters. Metal roof! Metal roof! Metal roof! Also look how interesting and custom the windows look in those pictures. The board and batten siding is also very architecturally interesting. Another idea: natural stained cedar.
  • User
    7 years ago

Oh what a lovely property! Consider removing all of the rock, modify the peak on the right to a turret style with a shingled roof, add cedar shingles to replace all of the rest of the rock and paint the exterior a griege with subtle green undertones.

• Stewey
    7 years ago
    Tinamluke: everything you describe would be hard to find/fund in a new build. With your eye and design aesthetic, you can totally fix the exterior of this house. Overall, it is built correctly, balanced with the garage on the left and addition behind the flagpole, with the bulk in the middle. You can resurface what you need to.
    Remodeling is not more expensive than new build, if you get the house for the right price. It sounds like you've already factored that, so I say go for it! The existing amenities are special and you can make the rest of it special too. Also, you can apply your stucco idea to the interior fireplace! Would love to see the "after" photos someday.
  • Tina Luke
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Here are some more photos showing the rest of the property. We love all the outdoor amenities and the acreage. I also included photos of the kitchen and great room. I know the rock on the fireplace is ugly and we will replace it. Otherwise we like the overall layout. Thanks for all your comments. I love having a community of design savvy folks to share ideas and advice.
  • Stewey
    7 years ago
    I don't see the interior photos, but the exterior is sublime. What an outstanding lot, with room for everything. The second freestanding garage is incredible (if you don't need that much parking space, my mind automatically goes to guest cottage). The pool is something you'd see on HGTV. Buy this, live here!
  • Tina Luke
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Here are some more photos. I'm not sure why they are showing up small? I love the layout of the kitchen. There is room for a huge farmhouse table. I just hope we can improve the exterior to match the interior.
  • Stewey
    7 years ago
    Lovely! I see exactly why you say French farmhouse, as that is what they are going for on the interior. Notice how the rock doesn't stand out so much on the interior because the paint is complimentary. I would say as a design choice you could keep it (on the interior. It has no business on the outside.) Or reface, but not an emergency. So much volume in this space, very pretty! I get the sense the house is also situated well to capture light.

A few more thoughts: there is rock on the outside skirt of the garage. This is not a bad idea due to snow load pressing up against the bottom. Good for your geography, so if you replace it here, pick an anti-rot bulletproof material.

The builder clearly did not have a good exterior eye. Look how small the windows in the dormered stand alone garage are. It would be worth hiring someone to just review the window situation, although with your keen eye, you are probably up to the task. There must be easy to use design programs that let you upload photos and then plop in different window sizes and shapes. Maybe Pella or Anderson websites?

It also seems the stand alone garage is painted a different color. You could unify everything in white as decoenthusiaste's pictures showed, but given the warmth and splendor on the inside, you could reference this on the outside with a lovely shade of grey (a griege grey not a blue grey if warmth is what you are going for.) You could even trim out in a darker tone of same color for some wow factor. Or keep the simplicity or everything white.
  • emmarene9
    7 years ago

This is a sloppy mock up but I think just removing one gable and the stone would help.

• User
    7 years ago

It has much more of a chance of being recast as a Shingle Style than French Country. If you're redoing the cladding anyway.....

• decoenthusiaste
    7 years ago

Taking off that big clapboard gable and the stone and the columns and retaining wall out front will be sufficient.

• suzyq53
    7 years ago

Lovely, but it screams Americana! Some lipstick and a beret won't fix that. You would have to change all the roofs and garage and rip the whole front off. Major time and money, and even then just a wannabe.

• PRO
    Leo Dowell Designs
    7 years ago

I am sure it is too late to help at this point, but as a designer who has specialized in French country for over 30 some years now, I could turn this house into a magnificent French style house. I do this every day with great success. I hope you have discovered the right advice to make it happen. If not contact me.

Best,

Leo Dowell Designs

• KK Johnson
    7 years ago
    Any update? Would love to see what you decide for this lovely property