kenneth_croisetiere

Spreading Peat Moss

Super quick question Guys and Girls:

I'm overseeding my lawn next weekend and plan on using Peat Moss to aid with retaining moisture during germination. The area I'm seeding is relatively small (2,000 sq ft). I was looking to rent a peat moss roller/spreader, however I've not been able to locate one close by. I was thinking about loading up a wheelbarrow and flinging it with a flat shovel, but I'm nervous that if I spread it too thick, it will actually inhibit the seeds germinating. I was only planning on a 1/4" top dressing.

What are your thoughts folks???

Thanks in advance!

-Ken

Comments (7)

• Kenneth Croisetiere
    Original Author
    8 years ago

that works for me, I will definitely give that a shot. Thanks Yardtractor1 !!!

• PSU4ME
    8 years ago

I just did the same with 7 bales.....works really well. You can always rake/smooth out the larger clumps if you didn't like how it fell.

• Kenneth Croisetiere
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks PSU4ME. I've got a quick question- I'm spreading out almost the same amount of Peat Moss. I'm picking up (6) bales from Lowes this weekend, each bale is 3 cu ft. How long did it take you to spread (7)? Just curious..... Thanks again!

-Ken

• PSU4ME
    8 years ago

You're welcome. It doesn't take long to spread them if they are dry. I was broadcasting them rather than being specific with ensuring the 1/4" but i think all 6 bales took me no more than an hour. Beat them up a bit on the driveway before you open them up - it helps loosen them up.

I think each bale should cover about 700 sqft at ~1/4" from what i've read.

Sponsored