hzdeleted_2134672

Yay or nay on this DR rug?

User
8 years ago

Can I get away with this rug in my DR?? I really like it but I don't have much blue decor in the kitchen and it's open to it BUT I do have other colors that are in the rug (the olive and red) and a few pops of blue. Here's the sample, the rug on Ballard's website, my DR and kitchen.

Comments (120)

• tgb1
    8 years ago

They are both beautiful rugs!! I can't wait to see the samples Melissa!!

• Rebecca Hicks
    8 years ago

Save your money and buy a real Persian rug. Go to a rug store in your area and ask for help. Sometimes the better furniture stores have rug galleries and a wide range of prices. I have quite a few rugs in my house. The largest one is a10x14 and it was $3000. I have a green Bokhara that I have had for 30 years and it was only $800. I also have a couple of 5x8 Iranian rugs in my master bath that were under $300. The rest are Turkish and Chinese rugs all under $300.It has taken time to collect these rugs but it is worth it to have something of quality and a piece of art. I like knowing that what I have is hand made. What you are looking at is a tufted rug. It probably has some type of canvas backing on it. This is to cover up the glue on the back that helps hold in the "tuft". There is a huge difference between hand knotted and hand tufted. You will get what you pay for.

• zazfuzzroc
    8 years ago

:) Enjoy the time with your family everyone!

• User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi All!! Hope everyone had a wonderful holiday. First sample came in but I'm not loving it...Thinking its a little too dark for the room. When you get a moment let me know what you think. Ps - that linen chair I use in my office, just put there to show fabric id like to have with new chairs... Thank you :))!!

• tgb1
    8 years ago

Hmm - I'm not loving it. Is the darker color more of a charcoal gray?

• tgb1
    8 years ago

I like the field colors, I think they blend well with your other colors. It's that darker band that's throwing me.

• User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks tgb1, I agree. And the border is more of a dark blue but not quite navy

• User
    8 years ago
    Agree, this looks like a tufted rug, not a hand woven rug, correct? Why don't you save your money and have a carpet store cut and bind you a rug cut to measure. There are many lovely neutral choices available. Would look more custom and not so store bought.
  • Natalie
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Hi Melissa---

Sorry, not really liking the rug in that space. I think it has too many colors---and the border is quite dark. Hope this is helpful.

• Ann
    8 years ago

I like the rug but I'm not crazy about it with the paint color.

• User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks a lot Natalie and Ann. That's what I was thinking... Still waiting on that sage color rug which I will post & will do some shopping around as well. And Sandy C, thanks, I will check out the hand woven as well. And, I thought this would be easy, lol:)).

• zazfuzzroc
    8 years ago

Hi Melissa, I like the rug with the chair, it also looks like it has a bit of green and you do have that in your kitchen, right? Maybe colors from your art too? Trying to remember. :)

Anyway ....if you are not liking that darker border.... and you want something more subdued then I would keep searching. I do think the pattern is pretty in the room. :) I also notice that your inspiration pic has a lighter rug. This one looked lighter in the pic from when you ordered the sample.... it doesn't look the same in your recent pics.

• Ann
    8 years ago

Zaz, I agree, the pattern is pretty.

• User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi Zaz, thanks :)). Yes, I do have green in my kitchen. Sort of the main accent color. Here's my nook again... But yeah that dark blue border is just not working.... Too dark. Even the middle ground is darker then in the pic. So now anxiously awaiting this sample of this sage rug. Will post when I get it. Thanks :))))

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Nourison-Hand-tufted-Caspian-Wool-Rug-8-x-106/4829056/product.html?refccid=72E3V7MP5XL2LJKJZTFLXFSGY4&searchidx=2

• zazfuzzroc
    8 years ago

Hi Melissa, you're welcome. :) Good luck with the new rug sample..... hope it's a winner! ;)

• tgb1
    8 years ago

Got my fingers crossed for the next one! : ))

• User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi Houzzers! So the rug came in and while I think the colors look good in the space I'm not in love with the rug overall. Starting to think some of you are right who told me that a tufted rug doesn't really belong in there.... Now while I can't afford a very expensive persian I am thinking now about flat weave. More expensive than the tufted but I think it might just lay much nicer in there... Here's one I'm considering (3rd pic). Let me know what you think. Thank you :)!!!

Safavieh hand woven sumak rug

• Ann
    8 years ago

Melissa, I should probably know the answer to this, but I've lost track. Will the paint remain the same color? Is it kind of gold toned in color?

I think the new rug you received is quite pretty. The close up pics don't really show how it does or doesn't work in the room, but it's pretty.

• Ann
    8 years ago

Interestingly, the rugs you've ordered have far more gold undertones in the pictures than they do in reality when they arrive. I'm wondering if the flat weave you found will be that way too?

• tgb1
    8 years ago

This one doesn't really thrill me. Melissa - do u still have all the samples? It might be helpful to compare them all...

• PRO
    Rugs Done Right
    8 years ago

I haven't followed the entire thread, but I did want to mention that Safavieh is not known for great rug photos. If you are interested in the Safavieh Anatolia rugs we would be happy to send you some room scene images and describe the colors for you. Hope the right rug really makes your space!

User thanked Rugs Done Right
  • Ann
    8 years ago

I still like this one the best, but I don't think it appealed to you Melissa, if I'm remembering correctly. Now, I can better see the wall color too.

• tgb1
    8 years ago

I really liked that one too Ann....

• tgb1
    8 years ago

Ann - paint color is BM monroe bisque

• tgb1
    8 years ago

I also liked the one that had a bit of red in it...

• zazfuzzroc
    8 years ago

Hi Melissa, I say if you're not happy with it... then on to the next. Do you happen to have a link to the new one you're considering? The pic shows small.... I'm trying to take a good look. :)

Hope all is well.... freezing down here, how are you guys? :)

• User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Sorry for the delay, was out for a while. Thanks so much Ann, tgb1 and Zaz!!! Ann and tgb1, I do still have that surya ceasar rug sample, just layed it out yesterday! And really, it looks better in this photo above then it does in person. Yes Ann keeping the monroe bisque for now since we just painted last year. Plus the DR & kitchen don't get a lot of natural light so even though it's a little yellow for the tile it does brighten things up a bit. Ok, but back to rug... Zaz, here's the link to the rug I like. Home Depot actually has a 6x9 which I can order as my sample then return to the store with no shipping charge but now I'm thinking maybe this one isn't right either... Ugh. Isnt decorating suppose to be fun?!? Lol:)) http://m.homedepot.com/p/Safavieh-Sumak-Beige-Sage-6-ft-x-9-ft-Area-Rug-SUM432A-6/205718773

• tgb1
    8 years ago

It is reminiscent of the rug that you posted on October 27th, that had the red in it. What happened to that one? Did you end up not loving it?

• User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi tgb1, largest size was 8x10 and decided I wanted to go at least a little bigger.. How about this one. Flat weave as well...

• tgb1
    8 years ago

Ok - yes I think you're looking for a 9x12. The one you just posted looks pretty, but haven't most of them looked completely different once you get them? You prob said this before so forgive me for asking, but are there no rug stores near you that you could actually go and see some rugs? This must be very frustrating for you : (

• User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

you're right tgb1. I've got to get my butt to some rug stores! It's hard with my 3 yr old but I have to see them in person. I'm starting to look like a rug store with all my darn samples and it's just too time consuming. This one above is safavieh sumak line And there's a safavieh store near me so I will check it out. They may even agree to let me try a small size in my space.

• User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

And ps Zaz, yes it freezing here!!! I can't belive I was complaining when it was unseasonably warm.

• Ann
    8 years ago

This newest one is nice but it does seem true they are all looking so different when they arrive.

• tgb1
    8 years ago

No worries Melissa! My son is 16 now but I certainly remember those days of not getting out much : )) I'm happy to keep looking at the samples : )

• Natalie
    8 years ago

Hi Melissa!

I'm not sure about the Safavieh rug you recently posted. Here's another view of it--Looks quite different.

• User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks all, I'll keep you posted!! I like this blue one as well because in the pic it looks like a nice green/blue but in person it might look more porcelain blue which I do not want.

• User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi Natalie, Yes it does! Thanks for posting this. Another example of how I need to see rugs in person!

• Natalie
    8 years ago

• User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

One more quick question before I go shopping... Should I be considering rugs such as these neutral ones as well?? No color really but if I add art maybe could be nice?

• User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Ooohh thanks Natalie for posting that rug above! I like that!! Dare I order another sample? Lol:))

• User
    Original Author
    8 years ago
  • User
    8 years ago
    Do you have a good rug store in your area? Are you near a major city? Many vendors will let you borrow carpets for size and color. I am sure they would be willing to negotiate price with you, as well. Seems like a crap shoot ordering online. You never know what you are getting. Hopefully shipping and return shipping is free. Have you considered having a carpet store cut a piece of carpet and bind it for you? It's done all the time to get the exact size you need. A custom look, for a retail price.
  • User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks Sandy. Yes we've done a remnant rug before. I do have stores by me just addicted to online ordering, lol :)). but something like this I need to venture out.

• PRO
    choc studio
    8 years ago

nay

• User
    8 years ago
    I have used Merida and Stark carpets. They come in all price points, materials, patterns, colors. It seems like you are choosing very traditional patterns, have you thought about a beautiful sisal bound with a linen tape. Merida comes in some great colors and patterns.
  • Natalie
    8 years ago

Thanks Melissa. I actually prefer the Dove rug over the Sage. I think it's worth ordering a sample.

• Ann
    8 years ago

I like the neutral, non oriental choices.

• PRO
    FLAIR INTERIOR DESIGN
    8 years ago

It is a lovely and neutral rug which could go with just about everything. The important question is, "do you love the rug"? An oriental rug usually will go with anything. The idea is to tie colors of the rug with either accessories or colors of the furniture. An oriental rug is a good rug in a dining room where it will hide a multitude of sins such as dirt and stains.

• User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks Sandy, Natalie, Ann and Flair. Sandy, I've thought about sisal... Thought though some pattern in there would nice. And thanks Natlie, that rug really is a great find but if I order one more rug sample I might lose it. I think I need to get to a store at this point and only buy what I can see. The Internet is good for some things but not for rugs!! I'll keep u all posted :)).

• zazfuzzroc
    8 years ago

Hi Melissa, I'm late... sorry ... :) I see you decided to venture out and look at rugs in person. Good idea, the web is crazy for judging color....and don't feel bad I have enough trouble choosing in person. Lol :) You on the other hand will do fine. Good luck! :)

User thanked zazfuzzroc