kudzu9

Looking for recommendations on acrylic freestanding tubs

kudzu9
9 years ago

We're doing a minor master bath remodel and converting from a sunken acrylic tub to a freestanding acrylic tub. It's a very modern house and I am looking for a tub that is simple and has clean lines. I see that one can easily spend $7K-8K, for example, for some of the higher end Kohler tubs, but I don't feel a need to spend as much on a tub as I did on the used car I bought when my daughter went away to college. I'd appreciate suggestions on manufacturers who make quality tubs that won't cost a fortune. My comfort level is in the under $2500 range. Thanks.

Comments (16)

• numbersjunkie
    9 years ago

I also have a contemporary/modern space and hope to use the Toto Soiree freestanding tub. I actually took a road trip to Boston to "test" it out in their showroom there. Very comfortable - unlike many of the tubs I found locally. Above your price point though - around $3500 from Builder's Supply. You also need to consider the cost of a tub filler since they can be very high for freestanding tubs. I liked the Toto freestanding tub filler too.

kudzu9 thanked numbersjunkie
  • kudzu9
    Original Author
    9 years ago

numbersjunkie-
    Thanks. That Toto is a very nice one although more than I want to pay. But maybe at some point I'll weaken in my price resistance, so I am bookmarking it :-)

• User
    9 years ago

This may not be helpful since I haven't tested it, but I'm buying two Victoria + Albert freestanding tubs for our new build (our Master and also a downstairs "Master" that will be a guest room for now) - I like that the "Englishcast" feels heavier than acrylic, and I was surprised that the price was less than $2500.

kudzu9 thanked User
  • kudzu9
    Original Author
    9 years ago

mamabearjd-
    Thanks for the info. I checked out their web site and their reviews and it looks like a quality product at a reasonable price, so I bookmarked this, too. Can I assume from your comments that you saw them in person?

• User
    9 years ago
    I did see them in person. They were in the showroom right next to the other high end tubs and looked equally good. The salesperson said that she sells a lot of them. I think that even if I had a larger budget, I would still purchase one.
  • numbersjunkie
    9 years ago

I saw a V&A tub in a showroom near me but I found it to be uncomfortable - the sides were thin and not comfortable for my arms to rest on. But I have been wondering if I would really rest my arms like that in reality.

• kudzu9
    Original Author
    9 years ago

numbersjunkie-
    1. Do you remember which model of V+A that was?
    2. Were there other manufacturers you "test-drove" that were more comfortable for you?

• numbersjunkie
    9 years ago

I'm sorry, I dont remember the model. I did also try the Kohler Escale and it felt good to me.

I would really suggest that you find a showroom where you can sit in the tubs. Your height will have a lot to do with which tubs feel right and which don't. And even if you can't test a particular tub that you are considering, you can figure out what size/slope, etc is good or bad for your taste. It seemed to me that many of the tubs were designed for looks and not so much for comfort.

• anrol
    9 years ago

My nephew has the Maxx Optik 6636 F 66" by 36" by 24" freestanding soaker tub on order for their bathroom reno. Search for it in Houzz Photos. It will be several weeks befor the install. Very sleek looking. The pop up drain, drain kit and taps are sold separately. It will cost more if you want more options. He wanted only the soaker tub. It might be worth a look. He does not want the floor mount taps and this F 6636 tub has a wider deck on one side to mount your taps on the deck similar to this.............................

Hillside Home · More Info

kudzu9 thanked anrol
  • kudzu9
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

anrol-
    Thanks for the info and the helpful photo...another tub for me to bookmark. I assume that there is just raw plumbing coming up through the floor, but that it doesn't matter since it's not visible?

• anrol
    9 years ago

Yes. It has to be deep enough for the p trap underneath the tub. He is dealing with a reputable bath store where he bought an equivalent to the F2 drain. It is not installed yet so when it is I can let you know if it goes smoothly. The taps will be installed on the deck with a hand held shower for cleaning/rinsing the tub or hair washing. it will be fairly close to the wall so the plumbing for the taps will be hidden under the deck. Weeks away! The tub is ordered but not here yet!

kudzu9 thanked anrol
  • ck_squared
    9 years ago

We are looking at the Mermaid from Wyndham found on faucetdirect.com. There are 3 sizes, all under $2K. I will be purchasing on blind faith alone. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Mermaid tubs from Wyndham

kudzu9 thanked ck_squared
  • kudzu9
    Original Author
    9 years ago

ck_squared-
    Thanks...that was helpful.

• Nancy in Mich
    9 years ago

I was just over at Green Demolitions yesterday and they have two white freestanding soaking tubs for sale, both floor models. There is also a bright red Kohler clawfoot tub. One of the tubs is a huge Blustone - 73x32 for $3100. The other is a Chagall Thermal Air Tub for $3400.
    http://greendemolitions.com/find/?filtering=1&filter_products=42

• User
    9 years ago

Sweet Chaos - the York is the one (two) I plan to purchase, I'm so thankful for the positive feedback.

Sponsored