tipperdon

Duct Sizing for Small Bathroom

tipperdon
16 years ago

Remodeling my bathroom which is 9' x 7' The remodel includes new ducting. I'm trying to figure out if my original plan for duct size and register are overkill for this size bath.

A large duct which feeds both this bath and a bedroom comes in from the basement to the crawlspace then has a Y which steps the size down to two 6" branches. One going to the bedroom already has new 6" flex duct terminating with a 4x10" register. I had planned to use the same 6" flex and another 4x10 register in the bath. However, an HVAC guy who was checking out a possible issue with the airflow in that bedroom mentioned in passing that the 4x10 register I had originally planned for use in the bath would be way more than sufficient for airflow to the bath.

After he left I got to wondering if I should use something smaller in the bath. Maybe a 4" duct and a register smaller than 4x10? Is 4" even used in normal ducting? I know they have the metal stuff for things like bath fan venting, water heater venting, etc. But is it ok to use for HVAC ducting to this small bath? Should I be trying to restrict the airflow since this isn't much space to heat/cool? If some restriction of the air volume to the bath is in order, my thinking was that it would make sense to do it as close to the Y as possible. That's why I was considering a smaller duct. But I want to make sure I'm doing what's proper and to code.

Any suggestions from pros would be most helpful. I have to get this done before I can proceed with closing the floor of my bathroom which has been open for far too long. :-)

Comments (6)

Sponsored