mwkbear

Is a steam mop safe to use on Marmoleum floor?

mwkbear
9 years ago

Hi all,

My current kitchen floor is vinyl tile, and I use a Shark steam mop to clean it, which works really well. I'm redoing my kitchen and we will be installing Marmoleum/Forbo sheet linoleum. Can I continue to use that steam mop on the linoleum without ruining it?

Comments (7)

• macmomma_gw
    9 years ago

I use steam on my marmoleum. I've had it for 14 years. I didn't know that we were supposed to do some sort of sealing/maintaining every so often. I've never done anything to it. In the areas where the dog bowls are, it's now sort of disintegrating. It stayed damp a lot. I have 3 kids and 3 dogs, so it's gotten a lot of use.

• Vertise
    9 years ago

Why ask online? The best and most accurate source for floor care is with the manufacturer. Do not stray from that within the warranty period.

• corky1_2008 Harris
    9 years ago

My marmoleum floor has a marmoleum islet and I think the steam has affected the connection between the main floor and the inset. Without the inset, I think it would have been fine.

• corky1_2008 Harris
    9 years ago

My marmoleum floor has a marmoleum islet and I think the steam has affected the connection between the main floor and the inset. Without the inset, I think it would have been fine.

• bookmom41
    9 years ago

Re the seam: I don't allow the steamer to linger over the seam, thinking along the lines of what corky posted. So far, my floor and its seams are fine.

Also, I applied the Marmoleum Floor Finish to the floor last week--two thin coats. It's not shiny, just a more polished look and hopefully, provides some protection to the flooring. The floor does show a bit of discoloration by the dog's water dish. He has a beard and is very drippy. We keep it wiped up, but can't be there every time he sticks his face in the water bowl and then looks around, water pouring off the beard.

• bookmom41
    2 years ago

Seven years later, still using the steam mop on my marmoleum. Same marmoleum floor, but this is the third steamer! The floor does have some staining where our last doggo and his beard dripped water. Now we used a raised stand for the water dish for our new dog, also bearded (standard schnauzer beards hold a LOT of water) and that has reduced the drips dramatically.

Sponsored