pps7_gw

Whta product to use to stain cedar posts and garage doors...

pps7
13 years ago

I had chosen Minwax early american as the stain for our cedar posts and garage doors. Then I read the label-it states it's for interior use. Anyone have recommendations for a product for exterior use? And any recommendations on particular colors would be great. I'm looking for a medium brown color without any red or orange. Pics would be appreciated also!

Comments (13)

• pps7
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you! The chestnut looks great! I'll look into it.

Has anyone used Sikkens cetol? Can anyone explain to me the difference between transparent and semi-transparent?
    Thanks!

• joyce_6333
    13 years ago

I just got a card in the mail that Sherwin Williams is having a big one day sale this Saturday, May 15. Paints and stains are 40% off!!

• thebuilder
    13 years ago

Sikkens makes an outstanding product. I have used it in a variety of applications and it has held up wonderfully over the years on the homes we built. Cedar garage doors, cedar board & batten siding, timber assemblies, etc. The cetol is a nice product and the Log and Siding version is also great. Ask your local dealer for advice on product aplication. Best of luck.

• culater94
    13 years ago

I have used Sikkens Cetol on all of my exterior Doors and trim. It is a three coat process, I used the Teak for the knotty alder mudroom entry and mahogany french doors and the Cedar for first coat with the natural after on my garage doors which are cedar. The company I bought the garage doors from would not honor their warranty unless Sikkens was used.

• User
    13 years ago

We used Sikkens on our cedar garage doors. The cedar beams were stained with a cabot stain.

• nutherokie_gw
    13 years ago

Holy cow, Milz50! Beautiful garage doors! And beautiful house. Do you mind if I ask what brick you used? Really pretty.

• pps7
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Milz50-gorgeous!!! Is that Sikkens cetol 1/cetol 23 or sikkens sdr? What color is that? Dark oak? How is it holding up? Thanks!!!

• culater94
    13 years ago

Here are two examples one of the 1 2/3 cedar, and 1 2/3 teak

3 Coats of the teak on Fir

3 Coats of teak on Knotty Alder

1 Coat of Cedar Cetol 1, 2 Coats of Natural Cetol 2-3
    Lighting not best in pic

• User
    13 years ago

Thanks for the compliments...

The garage doors are cetol 1 / 23. They are holding up fine...but they were stained less than a year ago. The color is a mixture of dark oak and ebony (a color they seem not to publicize). We did the custom mix to try to match the walnut exterior doors. See picture below.

The brick is Glen Gary handmade Brandywine.

• pps7
    Original Author
    13 years ago

culater94 would love to see the pics of your mahogany door. The pics you posted are not showing up for me. Our front door is mahogany but our garage doors are cedar. Trying to figure out which stains we are going to use.

I spoke with our local dealer and he recommended the cetol 1/23 for the garage doors. We are probably going to use the dark oak. Milz 50, I love your color but I probably want something a little bit lighter, but in the same brown family. Did you try a sample of the dark oak? How did it compare?

I was thinking of doing the mahogany door in a butternut/dark oak mix or diluting the dark oak with nautral.

Thanks for all the help! The front door is in. I'm excited to see it stained.

• greif
    13 years ago

I love zar exterior stains, great to work with log lasting nice colors and depths of colors

• culater94
    13 years ago

Not the best pic..

Sponsored