tamal_mitra11

Need guidance in Lighting and Color

Tamal Mitra
last year
last modified: last year

Greetings,

I am trying to plan the interior lighting in my newly made apartment.

I have a tiny room of 88 sqft, I designated that room for entertainment. This is the first entry room in the apartment.

I am very confused about how I should layer my lighting which should be proper and not overwhelming.

Let me share my thoughts,

I am looking for 40FC ambient lights in this room, so the total lumen requirement will be 3200 lumens.

I will install 120LED/Mt strip light all along the false ceiling tray, for which I will require 10mt of the strip light. I am planning to buy this strip light which will produce around 460 lumens per meter. So total I will get 4600lumens of ambient light in my room. I will install this light inside the false ceiling tray and point toward the ceiling to get indirect lighting. Below is an example.

Here my confusion starts. So please help me figure out the following problems,

1. How much ambient light should I expect from this strip light setup? From my understanding, I can expect min 2000 lumen on the floor, am I correct?

2. On the south side, I am planning to install 3 COB lights of 12 watts (as Accent) to highlight the south wall. Is this enough?

3. On the north wall, there is a provision to install ceiling lights, but I don't want to cast shadows on the people, so I will point them toward the wall. Is this approach correct?

4. On the northwest and northeast corner, there is a provision for wall light. I am planning to install decorative lights which can act as task lights also. Is this approach correct?

5. There is also a provision for 4 ceiling lights on the east and west sides. In all modern interior youtube videos, I have seen people go for COB lights only. But personally, I have never seen anyone install COB lights in their apartment. Also, someone told me, it could create discomfort for people. So, should I go for COB or Panel lights? And what should be the wattage of these lights?

6. I have another confusion is about color temperature. In all youtube interior videos, people always recommend 2700-3000k. But, personally, I don't find it very comfortable. I live in India which is a very hot country, so I thought maybe this is why I don't find warm temperatures very soothing. But, I want to make my tiny apartment Instagram-worthy also. So, what color temperature should I go for? 3000k or 4000k or 6500k? I live mostly my life under 6500k, so I am kinda habituated.

7. In relation to the 6th point, I am going to choose white color for 90% of my wall including the ceiling. So, should I go for cool white paint or warm white paint, or neutral? And what light temperature will look good?

Please guide me :)

Also, if you guys have any more tips about lighting arrangements, feel free to share. I am very open to all suggestions :)

Thanks in advance.

Comments (5)