pollybg

colour for my patio garden

pollybg
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I made a big decision during the summer to get rid of all the grass in my back garden and make it into a patio, with paving, bricks, stones etc. I had lots of images for my gardener to work with designing the garden, and he was excited to be working on it too. But the finished result is somewhat flat and dull I feel. Since the picture was taken we have powerhosed the fence and it actually looks really nice, it's a kind of weathered oak colour.

I would love to 'lift' the garden, had thought of painting the fence a pale sage green or light blue/grey - I live beside the sea - but would prefer not to as that would need maintenance.

What suggestions would you have for providing colour, interest, etc?

Many thanks in advance

Comments (23)

• Diane Carney
    8 years ago
    The paving and furniture look stunning but I agree, I think your fencing lets it down a bit... The colours you mentioned sound good. Budget allowing, you could even try a different style fencing... Some colourful plants and planters could add some texture and interest too.
    pollybg thanked Diane Carney
  • pollybg
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks Diane , just wondering what sort and heights of plants and planters?

• pollybg
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks Jonathan, there some small plants and a couple of young alders now, together with hydrangea. Possibly some clematis would help as you say, and I agree with one colour. Even with these it still looks bland as these are at the edges, so I feel I need something else on the paving

• Sven
    8 years ago

I would stain the fence black. It sets off plants beautifully: especially greens, reds and pinks, soaks in heat in summer creating a warmer microclimate making the patio area more useable and needs less maintenance. It also disappears from the eye.

pollybg thanked Sven
  • pollybg
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Interesting one Sven! Can't imagine that, any photos?

• Sven
    8 years ago

kildermorie's ideas · More Info

kildermorie's ideas · More Info

• headers13
    8 years ago

The fence would be nice painted but then you have the upkeep (by the sea) so maybe just get some trailing plants; jasmine, clematis etc. Plus lots more containers big & small on the patio - I would put a large one on the circle definitely with a statement plant maybe an agaphantus. I usually stick to a garden colour scheme with planting rather than having a jumble of colours; I use blue, white & purple in the back & the front bright pink & red.

pollybg thanked headers13
  • Emmanuelle
    8 years ago
    Beautiful patio!!! I agree with Sven. Painting the fence in black/ slate colour would make the area very contemporary. Cuprinol has a fence stain called " slate" which I am going to use on my side gate. After that, I would grow clematis on it. It would really make plants stand out!!
    pollybg thanked Emmanuelle
  • minnie101
    8 years ago

HI. It looks lovely, can I ask where you got your cushions from please :) given the patio design, I'm assuming the patio is bigger? I would bring the dining table forward a few feet. Add a potted buxus in the centre of the table. In the top left hand corner I'd add a large potted olive tree (7ft?) so it kind of sits between the chair and sofa. Add a lantern on the coffee table. I love chinese garden stools so would pop these at the corner of the chairs ( pics will follow). I would also add a round self-contained water feature in the middle of the circle, this one is from haddonstone. If you don't like these then add a plant in a round planter with a height of about 2ft. Perhaps a collection of 3 pots in the bottom left corner away from the border and same behind the dining table of different heights/shapes. I like the giant oil jars for interest and you can leave these empty of plants. I'd paint all the pots the same colour ( I've used annie Sloan granite on some of my planters). The fence would look good painted and would show off the plants but it is a fair bit of maintenance, weathered oak sounds great

pollybg thanked minnie101
  • minnie101
    8 years ago

Pics

• cocolori
    8 years ago

I think you maybe just need some interesting sculptural pots or indeed just some sculptures on the patio that will serve as colour during the winter. The advantage with that is you can move and rearrange so easily so it's a lot less permenent than some of the other solutions.

Personally I love copper and blue but that's entirely up to you.

pollybg thanked cocolori
  • PRO
    Balisier Concepts Interiors
    8 years ago

I agree with alot of the suggestions regarding plants - they always help to lift a space but try to find ones that are easy to manage for your garden & needs - for example type of soil, ability to maintain, hardiness of plants themselves..

With regards to other things you can try, check out the below options - bunting, jar lights, mosaic pots - most you can make yourself so makes it even cheaper if you fancy having a go..

invest in a few key pieces - plant pots (not such a fan of the fake plant in the pot lol)

• pollybg
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Minnie, thanks for your great ideas, especially love the fountain! I have looked at the cushions but no label on them and can't remember where I bought them, but if you look on pinterest for 'coastal cushions' you will find loads

• pollybg
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Emmanuelle, going out right now to look for that colour!

• minnie101
    8 years ago

Thanks Polly, I will take a look!

• pannacotta
    8 years ago

I agree re staining the fence black. It makes greenery stand out really well.

Then add colour with plants and planters. What is your soil like and how much maintenance are you willing to do?

DO you have flower/leaf colour preferences?

pollybg thanked pannacotta
  • pollybg
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi Panacotta, as I live by the sea I do tend to go for blues where possible. Actually not sure what the soil is like - as you can tell I'm not a gardener! Would like large planters but not sure what ones to go for - I look at the ones in the garden centre but nothing really stands out.

• steve3122
    6 years ago

Add a gas fire pit for colour

try Elementi fires for a large range of fire pits

HIgh quality and a must for any social gathering

very cosy as well

Steve

• PRO
    IQ Furniture
    6 years ago

Y-POT

Bamboo

Maceta

IQ Furniture: Outdoor

I suggest to use planters and lights to make an unique outdoor space. These are just few options from our wide outdoor range.

Please email me on angeles@texogroup.com and I will provide you with further options along with prices. In the meantime browse our website www.iqfurniture.co.uk

Regards,

Angeles

• PRO
    Bathroom + Kitchen Eleven
    6 years ago

Hi

I would either paint the fence black as previously suggested or put a living wall up. The area is screaming out for some leafy green plants. If you eat outside a lot then maybe include aromatic herbs.

You could also add a fire pit for cosy nights outside.

Shannon

• tezz4
    6 years ago

Hang some flowering plants off the fence for colour, add some ceramic stools in blues and turqs. Also more coloured ceramic floor planters. The lanterns are a great idea and you could look into blue glass eyes of Horus to hang around randomly. And a matching hammock. Very med!

• PRO
    Staffordshire Landscape Services Ltd
    6 years ago

I agree with Bathroom Eleven... A living wall there would really set off the lovely new patio area!

Herbs wood be great to enjoy both to cook with and to look at. Lavender will give a lovely purple colour during the flowering stage :)

You could even DIY the living wall by simply attaching window box style planters to the fencing yourself.

If you would like maintenance free, you could also consider artificial plants to create the look without the fuss. The market now has plenty to choose from and although not cheap initially, they will last for years to come without even watering :)