deborahjanebily

Need help creating the "WOW" factor.

deborahjanebily
10 years ago
I love our room, very open floor plan works great for entertaining, but I walk in and know something is missing. I've combined traditional with some contemporary and antiques sprinkled throughout. Please help me "punch" this room up.

Comments (76)

• kcar66
    10 years ago
    Like the chairs better without covers & agree that the open shelves are a little busy, but wonder if you slid them out more towards the outter walls if that wouldn't fix that. I bigger rug in a square shape I think would be cool. I LOVE your lights!!!
    deborahjanebily thanked kcar66
  • Amy Cali
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    What a great room you have! I like your eclectic style and how you built it over time. I would however change out your dining room chairs. Parsons would look nice and provide an instant update. I love the tv console groveraxle shows. I think your bookcases may still work with the larger console. I would put less on the bookcases. Very very nice start!
    deborahjanebily thanked Amy Cali
  • Related Discussions

Need Help for my living room lightning please suggest me

Q

Comments (66)
    OK... but the wire wont be lower as it is fixed now. The wire in the pics below is the wall facing each other. They were leveled on equal height but the beam on one wall makes it seem a little above. But i think you guys are absolutely right that up and down lights wont look good there. I think you are right about down lights lessismoore. Would it look good if i go with two different lights on opposite walls??? it would look odd right.
    ...See More

Need Help for my Living/Dining

Q

Comments (9)
    is bedroom 2 the one to the right of the dining room? the bathroom there is showing a basin in it. yes? so you want to know, aside from the basin/sink in that bathroom would you also like one in the living room dining room itself. i don't see a need for another one, if the kitchen is right there, and the bathroom is right there... having an additional sink in the dining room isnt something i understand a need for.
    ...See More

Need help on bedroom

Q

Comments (24)
    Keya, glad you decided to take the one reader's idea about moving the armoires in front of windows that you don't need and giving the bed a wall of its own! And, yes, you can have Roman shades on one wall and layered drapes on the other. When I had drapes made for my tall sitting room windows/doors, I had them use the same fabric for the Roman shades for the smaller windows on the other wall. For me personally, in these older Indian homes with all the odd nooks and niches in the walls, perhaps it would be more soothing to have a light/med tone paint on the walls that blends with the drapes/blinds for an 'uninterrupted' look, and I would use the same color on ceiling and beams. (but that is just my thought) I would start the process with a large carpet with your favorite colors, then choose your Bedcover & cushions, then your wall paint and fabric for drapes/blinds ..Not certain what style you like, but if you really like a particular Ethnic bedcover fabric, you can always have them stitched into curtains or Roman shades too. Can't wait to see the "After" pics!
    ...See More

need a house plan

Q

Comments (9)
    hello Tomar! To get your house design the very first step is to hire an architect and talk to him personally about your requirements , the style of your livings and family members than only an architect will come up with the best plan for you. we as a professional firm will help you in designing your dream home, so please give us a chance and do contact us. Regards Ar Mohd Rehman 9140 158531 space square architects and interiors
    ...See More
  • Amy Cali
    10 years ago
    Just noticed your counter stools match your dinning chairs. Its ok if they don't match. They just need to coordinate with your dinning chairs. You could do that by choosing a new dinning chair with legs in the same wood tone. If it's not feasible to change out the chairs at this time, I'd like to see them with the covers in your original pic. Much better :)
  • swtjuic1
    10 years ago
    I agree with BLDG workshop. The stone wall is gorgeous and stands out due to its size. The current wall color, however blends too much with the stone wall. By changing the wall color and making it darker you will have a bit more contrast in the room. Along with other suggestion of larger rug and changing window/door treatments, more color in fabric, pillows etc, the room will pop.
    deborahjanebily thanked swtjuic1
  • deborahjanebily
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Loving this help! Removed more from the bookcases and pushed them out more. Removed the tablecloth and will save up to buy new dining chairs. These chairs are old and covering the chair backs was my attempt to have them appear more like parson chairs. The barstools are new and I was trying to coordinate the style and wood stain w the kitchen and other wood in these rooms at an affordable price. Wow, barstools are expensive!!
  • Margo
    10 years ago
    You did not show the table but why not paint the chairs black?
    deborahjanebily thanked Margo
  • deborahjanebily
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Another view
  • Margo
    10 years ago
    OH, I have to say I liked the wall clock arrangement originally posted better;)
  • Margo
    10 years ago
    Yes, paint the chairs black and reupholster;) something fun
    Amy Butler Soul Blossoms Bliss Peacock Bright Pear · More Info
  • Amy Cali
    10 years ago
    me too :) i liked your three clocks super cool
  • Amy Cali
    10 years ago
    Time to start a swear jar or something to save up for two purchases. Ten new chairs and a wider TV console and your room will sing! The bonus is it looks great while you save up :)
  • deborahjanebily
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    If I keep the chairs, love the idea of painting them and definitely need to reupholster the seats. Still prefer to replace them when I can. Here is a pic of the table.
  • deborahjanebily
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Table. We use 10 chairs around this table so big expense for new chairs.
  • Margo
    10 years ago
    And can I ask WHY you had a tablecloth covering it?
  • Amy Cali
    10 years ago
    I can't speak to the quality but all three of these are under $75 on overstock.com
  • Amy Cali
    10 years ago
    Love your table!
  • deborahjanebily
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks. I never cover the table except when serving meals. I just tried it when I uncovered the chair backs because it seems dark in that area now. I do agree, I love the table and don't like to cover it. It's so large that I had to find a lazy Susan to be able to serve meals. I was able to paint and stencil it to match the table top.
  • PRO
    Allyn Custom Woodworks
    10 years ago
    Love that stone wall!

How about highlighting its earthy feel by installing rustic floating shelves? Either lined up, 12" from wall and center piece, or offset.

Thick living edge black walnut or distressed western cedar slabs come to mind. Not too many.

Hate to say it but the current shelves flanking the tv feel "slight". Need something burly to work with the stone. Maybe a thicker piece of walnut under the TV as a center piece.
    deborahjanebily thanked Allyn Custom Woodworks
  • Elizabeth Julian
    10 years ago
    What catches my eye first in the book shelves and the brown chair in the pathway. Lower the book shelves and move one of the brown chairs to open the look of the room.
    deborahjanebily thanked Elizabeth Julian
  • mmilos
    10 years ago
    I would get a big, custom square sisal type rug for under the dining table. Then get something of similar size and pattern for your seating area. Your table is beautiful and decorated...I would go for a simpler larger rug to let the table stand out more.

It's so easy to spend other people's hard earned money on this website...Haha!
    deborahjanebily thanked mmilos
  • Dar Eckert
    10 years ago
    Too much brown. Everything is brown including the floor. A large rug in a light color would make the furniture visible. Right now it disappears into the floor. Some texture and variety of value would help. a light colored shag type rug would really help. Another theme that you have going is black metal. To add some interest, try a colorful art print & make it large.
    deborahjanebily thanked Dar Eckert
  • whmsyde
    10 years ago
    wow.. just the little changes you've made have changed the look of the room without spending a lot of money. hard to figure out what the original question was. Great job so far. love the uncovered furniture (chairs and table), love the new tv console, love the de-cluttering of the shelves... what to do next seems the experts are guiding you well. good luck...
    deborahjanebily thanked whmsyde
  • PRO
    OasisDesign&Remodeling
    10 years ago
    I like the 3 clock arrangement because it threw a little asymmetry in with the symmetry of the bookcases. As for the bookcases, they would be better if they had solid backs. Having "see through" pieces on that wall doesn't break up the stone enough & doesn't have enough weight to stand in front of all that stone. The best scenario would be a combo TV console connected to bookcases (check out the media collections at Bassett Furniture.) I don't know why the sofas aren't lined up with the bookcases, but I would do that & have a huge round cocktail table in between...maybe an upholstered one. Maybe a larger sisal rug bordered in teal underneath. Love the style of window treatments, but would just change the color to teal. Love the fandaliers. Ceiling is too white...I would paint them the lightest tint of the wall color, which I love. Architecture is great...love it. The rug under the table is way too small...you need at least 18" behind the chair legs for pull out room. Love the table but hate the chairs...too dated & dowdy. Teal leather parsons chairs would be awesome. To continue the accent color, I would paint the support legs of the kitchen bar in teal. Last but not least, the accent chairs facing the TV need an update also...a pattern that would coordinate with the upholstered otto/cocktail. Take away the arc floor lamp. Add large palms to the sides of the bookcases & add large uplight (hardwired) sconces above. The teals don't have to match exactly...just different shades.

http://www.bassettfurniture.com/Pier-Unit-DZ29062.asp Might have enough weight...???
    http://www.bassettfurniture.com/Upholstered-Side-Chair-DZ34315.asp In leather
    http://www.bassettfurniture.com/Upholstered-Side-Chair-DZ34315.asp Large size
    deborahjanebily thanked OasisDesign&Remodeling
  • Jacqueline Arica
    10 years ago
    Such a unique table! If you can't afford a new rug for under, I would just remove the one you have for now. Seems kind of dark over there. Maybe painting the chairs a lighter creamy color. If you have an older chair around (leftover from all of your moves) you could experiment paint colors on that before commiting to painting an entire set. LOTS of work, but paint would give them a really different look until you can justify replacing them.
    deborahjanebily thanked Jacqueline Arica
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    I'm thinking your "wow" could be accomplished by letting the Fandeliers, stone wall, the slim doors in the dining room and general style of your kitchen swing you into the Craftsman direction, if you like that style. A craftsman credenza would work well where groveraxle showed the other credenza. Like your 3 clocks, and anyone here can tell you I generally hate the big battery op ones as decor.
    Medium Tone Transitional Style Kitchen · More Info

Credenza · More Info
    deborahjanebily thanked decoenthusiaste
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Rug in living area is too dark go litter. Add window covers with a print and color. Get a lass coffee table 36" square or round. Room needs a update with color. Like peacock. Add that to windows as panels, try satin fabric shiny iridescence. Add a color washed big area rug, also teal, peacock. Overstock.com sells some. Go on site then post ones you like, and we will guide you. Add pillow in same color. Chairs in dining should have these color tones in accessories, also kitchen. Add canister in teal. Get round place mats, in silver or teal. Pier one has some things that would work.
    deborahjanebily thanked Nancy Travisinteriors
  • Margo
    10 years ago
    Personally, I have found *litter* ^ lol not so soft on the feet, but the cat swears by it;)
  • Margo
    10 years ago
    If you can't fine a *lass* ^ lol coffee table, maybe a *lad*?
  • Margo
    10 years ago
    Forgive me travisinteriors- I am just having fun...I am bored today;)
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    If not going mirrors on rock wall. Move bookcases apart more and add peacock, gray, and white modern pots to top. De clutter more add reflective items like mirrored vases. Small framed mirrors. Ck TJMax, pier one, world market for items above.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Yeah, add back the clocks. Make a little higher.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Fabric chairs do not need to be expensive. Craigslist, eBay, pier one, stein mart. Burlington coat factory all carry inexpensive chairs, some in leather. And color.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Under dining table a very big 10 ft round rug. Bold teal, can be a print. What size rug do you have now? Is there a reason you need 10 chairs? 8 is plenty look wise. Get wider seats it will look better.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Not a fan of painting wood. Always chips then look awful. You can sell those on Craig list.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Margo so funny. I meant lighter, darn phone.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Glass not lass, I should proof before sending. Margo you keep me on my toes. Lol
  • Margo
    10 years ago
    I was wondering when you were going to catch on LOL
  • Margo
    10 years ago
    Actually travis, you amaze me at how you can gun out advise so fast over a phone no less- you are a super power!!
  • lefty47
    10 years ago
    HI -- Please go back to the way the room was in the first posted photo --- You already almost had the wow factor , all you needed to do was add some color like red -- picking up the red I see in the console under the TV . Then adding a coffee table and so on . Sometimes when a person posts a question -- then everybody starts picking the room apart un -needlessly. I liked the arrangement on the wall . I like the light fixtures .I liked the shelves . So add your personality back to the room , please .
    deborahjanebily thanked lefty47
  • mzhristova
    10 years ago
    I agree this wall needs a fireplace. If you do that, together with chair and rug advice and remove all other things from the wall, you will get your wow factor.
    deborahjanebily thanked mzhristova
  • PRO
    Maguire
    10 years ago
    Lots of ideas here on Houzz, hope you've come away with ideas you'll think about, but even if you don't you have a gorgeous room as it is and a great sense of style. Enjoy the big family dinners around that table - the most important piece in the room and it's beautiful.
    deborahjanebily thanked Maguire
  • unwantedadvice
    10 years ago
    I so agree lefty! I loved your room before and now it seems too wood toned. Please put the covers back on the chairs, at least it broke up all the same color of the wood. I thought the chair covers were a clever way to update! But again, your room is gorgeous! And everyone is right, it is so easy to spend other people's money. :)
    deborahjanebily thanked unwantedadvice
  • Margo
    10 years ago
    So, we have come full circle LOL. Put everything back as was, except for the tablecloth')

Here was my original advice:

Margo C.
    I love it all;)))) OK- one teeny change please...remove the tablecloth.
  • mountie
    10 years ago
    I agree you need to replace both rugs. Choose a light color solid for under the table and a brightly colored bold patterned one for the sitting area or vice-versa. Also, replace drapes, Choose a color from the new rug. Add colorful throw pillows. This room begs for more color!
    deborahjanebily thanked mountie
  • groveraxle
    10 years ago
    I will argue one more time for removing the shelves. They detract from an otherwise fabulous wall. And the three clocks arranged asymmetrically enhance it. Put them back...please.

A large sisal or jute rug under the dining table. At least 2 feet larger than table and chairs all the way around.

These dining chair slipcovers are $20 at Target.
    deborahjanebily thanked groveraxle
  • deborahjanebily
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Travisinteriors asked about my dining chairs and rug, and thank you. The round rug is 10' in diameter and the table is 6' in diameter. The old chairs went with a banquet size table with 2 additional arm chairs seating 12 but could add another chair to each end seating 14. Filled up the dining room frequently as we have a very close and growing family w lots of family gatherings throughout each year. The problem w such a long table is that one can only hear the conversation to mid table. The round table allows for everyone to be in the conversation, however doesn't seat as many. I know it would probably look better to have 8 chairs but need as many as I can fit , which is 10. Now I depend on 5 additional seating at the kitchen island as well. A solid rug under the table would be impractical due first to my great but messy husband and the grandkids.
    I'm biting the bullet and shopping for chairs. Need quality chairs because we have big men in the family, 6'2" to 7', weighing 200 lbs and up. Obviously, I'll have to shop carefully for quality with affordability.
    Thanks so much for all of your great advice. I'll purchase what I can, experiment with different pieces of furniture that I have, find ways to add color and post back for critiques.
  • twbsg526g
    10 years ago
    Beautiful space!!! I loved your first "problem" picture but the changes you made were even better. I thinkbyour chairs were fine, there were just too many of hem smooshed around the tabls. Could you stack a few in the coat closet and bring them out only as needed? And the rug did look too small, don't the feet of the chair get caught up on the edge of the rug as you scoot in?

What a unique space!!
    deborahjanebily thanked twbsg526g
  • PRO
    User
    10 years ago
    Needs a splash of bright color it's all very bland and neutral looking, Maybe instead of the clocks on the wall, a nice bright oil painting in a big thick wooden frame.
    deborahjanebily thanked User
  • kcar66
    10 years ago
    Like the clocks---do color in the curtains that would go all the way across the room
    deborahjanebily thanked kcar66
  • PRO
    Maison Pompeii Antiques and Interiors
    10 years ago
    Stop! Dont buy Chairs! There is no need to replace them. Just remove two from the table and place them elsewhere. You can always add them when needed. I agree that a round table is the best and I always try to incorporate one when I can. Change out the seat covers to something more attractive and colorful. The round rug is a problem I think. Just because you have a round table does not mean you have to have a round rug. Spend you money on a square or rectangular oriental rug. This will also eat up the great expanse of brown floor.
    While you dont want to block the view the windows need adressing. Add some trim or band in a nice color that harmonizes with the room to the leading edge of the drapes. The room is so large and powerful but the drapes look skimpy and anemic. You can have pretty drapes, even involved ones and they will not take away form the view. They will frame the view. One quick fix also would be to add a long rod over the existing windows and then hang color panels at each end framing the whole thing. If you hang the pole even higher then you can even do a soft valance that will frame the window and the view. In other words treat this as one big window rather a bunch of windows. It will be more in keeping. A tapestry fabric will look great with the stone wall.
    In the TV area I like the 3 clocks and the two shelving units. I think you need two more units or larger ones put together and then the whole moved closer to the TV. The shelves are just too skimpy for this big room. Then decorate roughly 1/3 books(horizontal and Verticle) 1/3 objects and 1/3 open space. I suspect that this is not an option but can the recliners be replaced with recliners that are more attractive and in a color on the opposite side of the color wheel.
    Lastly the room needs some art and find some you like around your house and try to incorporate them into your room. Besure that they are not small but in proportion to the scale of the room.
    While this sound like alot it really is very doable. It is a great room that just needs a few things like you said in your post. Keep scale in mind. Hope to see more posts as you progress. Good Luck!
    deborahjanebily thanked Maison Pompeii Antiques and Interiors