alex_nolan59

Open Kitchen Lighting Layout Help

Alex N
last year

I'm looking for some help in determining the layout/placement of recess lights in our kitchen. I have two existing recess lights spaced evenly over the island, under cabinet lighting that provides the majority of the working space light and spill over lighting from the living room lights but I definitely need some additional lighting and I'm unsure how to layout the remaining recess lights near the cabinets and in the kitchen table location. My wife and I had entertained the idea of pendants over the kitchen table but we liked having the view from the sink to the backyard unobstructed so we're choosing to only use recess lights in this space.

I'm thinking of treating the kitchen table area from where the fridge cabinet ends to the exterior wall as its own "room" and do general lighting spaced about 36" from the walls. In the cabinet area I planned to place them about 12" out from the upper cabinet faces but I'm unsure if I should center them in from of certain cabinets or do a more symmetrical layout. We'll be adding crown moulding above the cabinets at some point so I need to keep that in consideration as well.

What would be the best placement of recess lights in the kitchen? Any suggestions are really appreciated!

Comments (6)