shelleyuk

How to finish this room?

shelleyuk
10 years ago
This is probably the most finished of the rooms in the house. I feel it needs lifting and am struggling with it. long term we are probably going to replace the wide picture window with doors going out into the garden but that's not for the immediate future.

What would you do with it? I've been on the look out for a large ottoman to use as a coffee table but struggling to find something suitable.

Comments (146)

• shelleyuk
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I agree Carolins but we are doing the kitchen at the moment too (please come over to that thread, I need to make buying decisions today!!) and so I have very limited budget for this room. The tables are from TK Maxx (don't know whether you have it) and so they one off stock items and if you don't get them when you see them that's it, they're gone the next time you go in. If they're no good taking them back is easy. The coffee table seemed large in the shop (didn't have my trusty tape measure since I nipped in after a meeting) so I'm hoping its big enough for the space.
  • shelleyuk
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Radiator looks much better Rina, thanks for the visual!!
  • Related Discussions

How reliable is pvc thermofoil finish

Q

Comments (1)
    Subham, please look at some past discussions of the pros and cons of thermofoil. https://www.houzz.com/discussions/thermofoil-white-cabinets-what-do-you-think-dsvw-vd~267979
    ...See More

How/What sofa to replace/utilize this living room space ?

Q

Comments (11)
    Hi Nikita, First and farmost, you have very beautifull coushion on sofa, from where you buy it? You can check the videos of Small budget Big makover first session series in youtube. In One such house in Gujarat, Muninder and Bishakha coloured the old sofa set with whtie (The sofa is like yours) and changed the centre table. Interestingly, the family also had your kind of sofa set and they also want some modern style. The architect duo did not changed the sofa, just changed the colour. Yes I found it in youtube. it is the house of Setu Upadhyay. the link is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85GNhyLeVnM Another suggestion is that you have many tables on the room. You can drop few chairs and opt for a single centre table
    ...See More

how to decorate this room ?

Q

Comments (1)
    declutter first. give a fresh coat if paint. select lighter color if possible. clean n paint furniture. change curtains and add long curtain on Windows to add height. make sure your curtain rod is close to celling. add side table for extra storage, lamps for better lighting and accessories for depth and style. that's will make huge difference. give it a try
    ...See More

how to achive this kind of finish

Q

Comments (3)
    Hi Abhisek, Would you like us to get in touch with you on the materials and finishing done here plus a quote? Will be happy to lend a free consult! :) Atom Interiors,Bangalore __________________________
    ...See More
  • mdnotdr
    10 years ago
    This comment thread is fun and nice...so glad to have checked in on Houzz this evening. I've been reading all the comments and looking at the photos. All of them. You've got such great help here. For what it's worth I think, to add another 'dimension' to your room, you could add large live plants and put them in large metal planter (containers) that would be brighter than your metallic fabrics but carry that theme. That beautiful sheen of the fabrics and your lamps could be reflected in copper, bronze, silver, or brass. You could even go faux so no polishing required! You could do the same for your firewood (that's hard for me to say as I'm a basket fanatic). And I don't think it would interfere with the tranquility of your room. I think your room is beautiful and the fact that it sits in the forest...that's special. (I live in a forest, too.)
  • shelleyuk
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Furniture is here. What do you think. Remember the brown drawers in the bay window will be going back up to the bedroom and we will have doors there opening out to the garden.

It feels like an awful lot of furniture but then I've had three years of living here with no furniture at all!!
  • shelleyuk
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Coffee table is a really good size, 138cm by 70cm. 55 inches by 28 inches
  • shelleyuk
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Come back helpers!!
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    Coffee table is a good size, but I think it's too high. Or is it? End tables are the right height.
  • shelleyuk
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Hmm, now you've said that maybe it is too high
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    The colors of the wood go so well with your piano and other pieces. Is the coffee table higher than the couch? I did not think so.....measure them, huh?
  • shelleyuk
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Practically the same height. Coffee table 50 inches, sofa about 49.5
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    So just a half inch off. When you stand in the room, does it glare at you?
  • shelleyuk
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Just plumped up the sofa seat cushions which has helped a bit. I'm not sure whether it looks wrong. Certainly if it was an inch or so shorter that would be better in an ideal world but I'm not sure if the height is actually a problem or if its just that I'm not used to seeing furniture on the rug
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    Plumping up the cushions is something we forget to do......thanks for the reminder! AND I think you are right in that you have a new look in your room now and that right there is an adjustment.

Are you putting a lamp or two on the side tables? IF you are, do that for that full effect, too. Put some accessories on the coffee table to also see what that looks like. I know you are just playing, but you will still get an idea if it feels like home.
  • shelleyuk
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    So now I realise I have a lack of accessories too but this gives an idea
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    See how much different that already looks??!! I was picturing those lamps there, too. I think you can cut the tags off and finish the accessorizing!!!

Hanging things on the wall will make a huge difference for you, too. And maybe some more color in pillows.
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    I like the room dressed with accessories, but I still think the coffee table is a tad too high. You've lost the elegance. It doesn't look bad though. It looks very acceptable.
    The lamps next to the sofa... love them there!
  • shelleyuk
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Not sure I'm going for acceptable!!!!!
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    Yeah, but it's only my opinion of course. So if you really, really like it... keep it :-) It's good that you have a couple of days to see it in your room. As you rightly mentioned, you'll have to get used to seeing the empty space filled.
  • shelleyuk
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Well the update is that is was certainly easier last night having friends over for drinks with somewhere to actually put the drinks! The furniture store has offered a further reduction since one of the side tables has a scratch (but not in an obvious place and repairable) so unless anyone thinks they are absolutely dreadful in the room I think they will probably be staying.
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    Not dreadful at all :-)
  • Nancy Walton
    10 years ago
    I think you need more color on the sofa pillows--they just blend in with the sofa.
  • Nancy Walton
    10 years ago
    Here's more
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    YAY! You have initiated them the perfect way!! Friends and drinks and life is good!
  • K N
    10 years ago
    Add a rug with soft cool tones. We have a very beachy, neutral home but our decorator chose a cool rug in beach glass colors.it is a very long shag and is quite large with white, greens and blues. I was skeptical but adding cool tones makes the room not be boring. We have warm wood floors and khaki walls.
  • mdnotdr
    10 years ago
    I love your coffee table and the lamps are such a perfect accessory. I was thinking about the height of the table vs. sofa and wonder if you have 1/2" of leg on the coffee table that you could take off and not have that bottom shelf sitting on the floor, still have it up a wee bit. But of course it you shave the legs you own it. Also, due to your dilemma, I, for the first time in my long life, am thinking about coffee table height! Are they supposed to be lower than the sofa or same height? I think that accessories are things best gathered for their meaning to you. It takes time and can be so much fun. Pillows are an inexpensive, quick way to add color and for the rest hit some estate sales and you might find things that really compliment those lovely lamps. Gosh, I'm enjoying your process so much and it's making me take a look at my own 'stuff'. Again, you've got such great feed back here (and I'm benefitting!)
  • sondergaard1
    10 years ago
    I love the zebra ottoman idea but actually think the room could use a glass coffee table and the walls would be lovely in a soft blue/gray/green like rain wash by sherwin williams. Pillows help and could be shades of aqua and teal and maybe a soft mustard or even a fushia
  • Rina
    10 years ago
    Sorry, with all respect, I don't like the zebra ottoman idea. This is not a zebra room. These is a room about subtlety. A glass coffee table would have worked very well, I think, but you have a beauty and you'll make it work. PS My coffee table is a tad higher than my sofa cushions. I've never noticed until today when I checked. Is it comfortable to use, is the big question. (I have to admit that I'd never invite a decor magazine into my home, but then most of the furniture is at least 40 years old. The upholstery is newer, but the dog's eaten it.)
  • sondergaard1
    10 years ago
    That is fine, I like the glass idea better anyway. By the way, in Denmark the coffee table is usually higher than the sofa so you can actually have coffee etc on it comfortably. Older furniture is cool.
  • Rina
    10 years ago
    Thank you, kind sondergaard1, for your comment about older furniture. Is there a sondergaard2? Sondergaard = without guard? Or without something else? Nice name, it rolls on the tongue. My grandfather was Danish. A Hansen, quite untraceable.

Shelleyuk, are you having fun?
  • sondergaard1
    10 years ago
    My husband is Danish I am totally American. Yes hansen is quite a common name. Danes do not have a lot of last names for some reason. Sondergaard means south farm.
  • shelleyuk
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Hi guys

Keeping an eye on things but up against a tight court deadline this week. I have just worked out I realistically have seven hours' more work to do tonight and it is already half past seven!

But this is kind of good news since I have just set up my own business, lots of work is good!! I might be able to afford cushions!

I need strong coffee!!!
  • Rina
    10 years ago
    Shelleyuk, bless your deadline. I know about deadlines. Coffee essential. Sondergaard, thanks for the information. Economical with surnames, that's what Danes are.
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    Good luck with your business Shelley. Way to go!
  • shelleyuk
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Just to update this old thread, I now have a painting to fill the large blank wall. My latest ebay find!
  • PRO
    Liquor Shelves by Armana Productions
    10 years ago
    Think about designing your room in layers.

The layers:
    • Rugs, window coverings and paint
    • Lighting (aim for at least three light sources per room)
    • Furniture
    • Soft stuff: cushions, throws and bedding
    • Finishing touches: art, mirrors, books and plants
  • sofi1980
    10 years ago
    what do you think about my bed?
  • shelleyuk
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Oh I'm rubbish Rina, the radiator cover got bumped to the bottom of the long list of jobs because kitchen renovation is just about to start. Neither have I found time to get the beach painting framed yet. I'm trying to do too many things at once really but this painting was a bargain at £25 and so I had to snap it up!
  • PRO
    Thos. Baker
    10 years ago
    Its indeed a very calm and composed room. The coffee table is a nice pick too.
    Touch up your room with some color and this place would sparkle. Here are a few routes you could take.
    1. Add some lovely, bright & vibrant cushions.
    2. Add some colorful wall art.
    3. Add a few indoor planters.
    4. Add a few nice sculptures or models.
    5. Add some great lighting.

I am attaching a few pictures to illustrate the above mentioned ideas.

Ar.Simran Chhibber on behalf of Thos.Baker
  • mefor
    10 years ago
    Painting is perfect for that spot :)
    shelleyuk thanked mefor
  • Rina
    10 years ago
    Rubbish you ain't, Shelley.
    shelleyuk thanked Rina
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    Enjoy seeing you and your home again!!!
    shelleyuk thanked abbyjean
  • shelleyuk
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Give me another six months and I might just manage to get the radiator cover fitted!
  • Rina
    10 years ago
    It's a deal.
  • PRO
    Radiator Cabinets UK
    9 years ago
    Why not choose from our selection of radiator covers? Free home design service available.
  • PRO
    Manhattan Home Design
    9 years ago
    Having looked through this post, I have to say I love the way that this project has progressed so far. The dark purpleyblue used in your lights would be lovely for a splash of color perhaps paired with a softer pale blue. Some great pillows that would go in this way include a soft of aubergine and eggplant shade. (As demonstrated by the drape examples here). Good luck I look forward to seeing where your project takes you next as it looks a lovely peaceful room. :)
  • abbyjean
    9 years ago
    Year old.......
  • shelleyuk
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    And still no radiator cover!!
  • Rina
    9 years ago
    Tut.
  • Jenna Hinton
    8 years ago
    Maybe add some small dots of colour here and there. Put a few cushions in a purple maybe. Also you could have new curtains that are still grey but with coloured detail like purple roses(Try to match all the colours). It's all the little things that will bring it more alive just add colour!

Hope this helps xx