evahen

TIPS forchoosing a sub-contractor/carpenter for a design firm!

Greetings Fellow Designers!

I am an experienced interior designer and have worked for many reputed architectural and design firms. Now, I’m starting freelance designing for the first time where I will be involved in execution of projects as well.
I need to know from experienced business firms about how to choose a sub-contractor/carpenter who will execute my designs perfectly and fairly, and how to make a fair and profitable deal such that all the parties benefit.
I would like to know some ‘dos and don’ts’ to remember while finding the right labour force for a project , tips and advice as per your experiences, etc.

Thankyou,
Regards,
SF

Comments (4)

• PRO
    Wing Feather Impressions
    2 years ago

SF

Firstly, what kind of spaces Are you designing- residential, commercial etc.,

Which city are you located and focusing to get the client's.

Cities like Hyderabad, Bangalore, Chennai have adequate workforce/labor for interior work from carpentry to false ceiling to plumbing and painting.

Select a sub contractor whom is well versed with materials first., I.e hardware's required for execution. Drawings are easy but finishing is the main criteria.

What materials you want to go, which brands in you want to have? Plywood, laminites, Type of glass, Tiles, Light fitting s etc.

Then you can fix the Deal!!

• PRO
    Cornerstone Design Studio India
    2 years ago

Few things that we follow...

Never fall for sweet talking ones and the people who offer their services extremely cheap. In the end they turn extremely costly. Straight and upright ones are better.

See past projects and listen customer reviews. That is a sure shot way of separating the husk.

Thanks,
    Nitin
    Cornerstone Designs Bangalore.

• PRO
    Design Matters By SF
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Wing Feather Impressions
    Thank you so much for your suggestions.
    I have planned to start with residential projects and I’m located in Kolkata.
    You’re right that making drawings is easy but the end goal should be the proper execution of the plan and required finished effect. And that exactly is what I’m focusing on.

Glad to find supportive professionals from the field. :)
    Regards,
    SF

• PRO
    Design Matters By SF
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Cornerstone Design Studio India
    That is great advice and will help me.
    I have seen how funds get drained if things are not fixed and planned properly and the budget goes out of the window. The quality of work and the morale to achieve something great is also affected due to such things. I hope I avoid that by keeping in mind the suggestions you gave.
    Thank you so much for sharing your experience!
    Regards,
    SF