bryanyasko

Space Theory Kitchens (by Henry Built)

bryanyasko
3 years ago

Does anybody have any experience with Space Theory Kitchens - the new mid range cabinets from Henry Built. Do you have any photos? How was the design experience

Comments (66)

• Sarah
    3 years ago

Bryan that is a beautiful kitchen!

• hapahaole
    3 years ago

Lovely!!! I’ll have what he’s having!

• Chris Lew
    3 years ago

Wow @Bryanyasko! It looks amazing! I’ll have to go visit their show room in Seattle and chat with them!

• hapahaole
    3 years ago

bryanyasko wondering if you could share or pm me with a bit about how the pricing, timeline and delivery went. I'm supposed to have a call with them today...

• Chris Lew
    3 years ago

@hapahaole please keep me posted as well. I'm going to be reaching out to them in a few days.

• bryanyasko
    Original Author
    3 years ago

pricing was exactly what they said it was, timing was two weeks earlier than what they stated. Delivery was flawless. One door was chipped. I phoned them and they sent me a new door within two weeks

• Chris Lew
    3 years ago

How was the design process with them? Did they give you detailed consultation on layouts on how to layout space or did they make you play around with the "design engine"?

• bryanyasko
    Original Author
    3 years ago

"design engine" was an over promise - not sure what the state is now since I designed it back in Sept. After I approved a ballpark estimate, they assigned me a designer who helped me design the kitchen. I think he used the design engine software. He sent me plans/CAD perspectives, etc. It was great.

• hapahaole
    3 years ago

Bryan - Did you go with their Corian counters or do something different?

I talked with Michelle today and she remembered you!

• bryanyasko
    Original Author
    3 years ago

i went with their white counters from space theory - like corian, but a different name. I liked that they were super thin (like .5") and I liked the knife edge on them. They look great

• hapahaole
    2 years ago

Thanks bryanyasko. I'm not sure I'd like the counter... or more likely I'm afraid I'd melt it or cut it or something. Do you feel like it's pretty durable?

My architect loves the thin counter look. I think I'll prob end up with a similar look quartz.

• bryanyasko
    Original Author
    2 years ago

i wouldn't stand on top of it, but yet, its as durable as any other counter.

• Chris Lew
    2 years ago

@hapahaole I agree their countertops are acrylic so interior durable. I would probably go with either a quartz or ceramic (which is also very-in and just as durable as quartz) countertop.

• Maryanna Rogers
    2 years ago

@bryanyasko I'd love to see the pics of your kitchen that everyone is having about. We're they deleted from this thread - I don't see them.

• bryanyasko
    Original Author
    2 years ago

they are on the thread

• Maryanna Rogers
    2 years ago

Ah, I see them now - thank you! Looks beautiful. Are you willing to share your approximate costs?

• bryanyasko
    Original Author
    2 years ago

they will give you a pretty accurate quote.

• 524sasha
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

@bryanyasko, how have you been liking your kitchen after a few months? My architect wants me to go with Space Theory also and I’m tempted! I don’t like their backsplash system so I’d probably go with a regular backsplash like you did but the cabinets look like they’re great quality. Any tips or input?

bryanyasko thanked 524sasha
  • J H
    last year

@bryanyasko your kitchen turned out beautifully. We’ve just priced out a kitchen package with Space.Theory and it sounds very promising, we’re going for a very similar look to what you have. Are you still enjoying it after a year?

• bryanyasko
    Original Author
    last year

yeah - its awesome - great quality.

• J H
    last year

realy glad to hear that, thank you!

• 524sasha
    last year

@J H, you didn’t ask me but we ended up going with Space Theory and I love my kitchen! Quality is awesome. Installation was a little challenging and we ended up needing to replace a couple of pieces and the fabrication/shipping out of the replacements proved to be annoying. We started installation in late January and just finished, lol. I’m attaching a pic of part of the kitchen when it was almost done.

• hapahaole
    last year

524sasha - looks awesome!!! What is the inside of your pantry like? As soon as I started to put my stuff away, I realized what I would have done differently. lol

• 524sasha
    last year

@hapahaole, thanks! Yours is pretty too! We actually converted our small laundry room into a walk-in pantry (not ST) which is to the right of that far right tall cabinet in the picture. My first walk-in pantry ever and I love it. However, I do have a couple of other tall cabinets with pullout drawers and shelves and I too would have done those differently! That is one thing I don’t like about my kitchen.

• bryanyasko
    Original Author
    last year

nice and nice

• Chris Lew
    last year

@hapahaole I’m having the same debate about Space Theory vs going local custom cabinets. Let’s see what estimates come back for both. I agree having someone local makes it easier to get things done and to make edits. @524sasha comments are not encouraging needing to replace a couple of pieces. I thought Space Theory had extra durable packaging for their pre-assembled carcasses,as part of their “selling” point. For the price they are likely to charge the experience better be flawless…

• 524sasha
    last year

@Chris Lew: nothing was damaged; one island panel was damaged by the installers and then one box’s size wasn’t aligned with the cabinet above it (ST covered that one but the island panel was paid for by the installers). The issue was that it took longer than expected for the replacements to arrive…. The quality is very good though.

• bryanyasko
    Original Author
    last year

@Chris Lew They ship in reusable wood crates. I like supporting local cabinets/businesses...but the complete package is amazing. The counters are amazing and make the total package. This is like a 1% conversation so either is fine. I did way too much research and glad I landed on space theory. And yes, my contractor complained about how he could have done better until it was complete. They make it look super custom

• Chris Lew
    last year

@524sasha thanks for the additional honest. Yes of course wouldn’t expect ST to deliver anything less than exceptional product! I was referring to the delivery. Yes, I’ve heard great things about ST and look forward to seeing what they come back to me with. I know lol this is a 1% convo, do I go with custom or space theory lol!

• 524sasha
    last year

@ Chris Lew delivery was actually fantastic. They make you check off every item, my delivery took 3 hours! Also, although it’s not “custom”, they were able to customize several pieces for us, which was awesome.

• Chris Lew
    last year

@524sasha and @bryanyasko I’m leaning towards ST. Did ST deliver exactly within 14 weeks as quoted?

• bryanyasko
    Original Author
    last year

They did deliver on time as the quote stated - that was the beginning of COVID. I dont know what is on time these days

• 524sasha
    last year

@chris lew, I don’t remember if they quoted us 14 weeks. In any case, we placed the order in late October 2021 and took delivery Feb 7 2022, so about 15-16 weeks.

• Chris Lew
    last year

Thanks Sasha! Perfect, that’s what I expect for my cabinets then.

• emiliamia
    last year

@524sasha thank you for all this great info! I am in the middle of the design process with Space Theory and was planning to use a double leaf tall cabinet with adjustable shelves at the top and internal drawers at the bottom. Is that what you have that you would have done differently? Would you mind explaining what you don’t like about it and would prefer? Thank you so much for any insights!

• 524sasha
    last year

@emiliamia I have the double leaf fall with lower internal drawers as well as middle internal drawers. I don’t love ghe drawers because the drawer front is too tall, which forces me to open the drawer fully in order to see what’s in it, especially with the middle drawers. I wish ST would have an option to have shorter drawer fronts, like most other pullout drawers. However any drawer is probably better than no drawer, so I am not sure if I would redesign it but it’s not my favorite part of ST. Otherwise, I love my kitchen! Hope that helps.

• emiliamia
    last year

@524sasha thank you so much for the response! That’s helpful info.

• Chris Lew
    last year

I just completed my space theory design and it was great! Gregory and Kathryn were great partners and they made process painless. Will keep you posted on how installation goes and will share photos.

• 524sasha
    last year

@Chris Lew, awesome! Please update with pictures when it’s completed. I’ve been using my ST kitchen for a few months now and love it!!!

• Chris Lew
    last year

@524sasha what do you love most about your kitchen? Did you include any pops of color? I went with natural oak and garden mist (for some color in parts of it).

• 524sasha
    last year

@Chris Lew - what I love the most is my new range lol but as far as ST, I love the muted oak color. It’s so elegant but contemporary. I love the island and general quality of the product. We didn’t include any pops of color; I’m too scared to commit! Personally I am less afraid to use colorful decor for accents.

• Chris Lew
    last year

@bryanyasko- can I ask, do you know where your flooring is from?

• bryanyasko
    Original Author
    last year
  • Chris Lew
    last year

@bryanyasko thank you!

• Marissa
    last year
    last modified: last year

We're designing a ST kitchen right now too! So far so good. Going with the muted oak. I'm debating on the countertops (white solid surface acrylic) -I love the look of them but initially had my heart set on stone, as I worry about scratches etc. @bryanyasko have you had any issues with it or do they seem pretty hardy and easy care? Thanks!

• jmg597
    8 months ago

Just signed with ST after being unimpressed with the quality of a more conventional semi-custom cabinet company that was going to cost the same (and that was with with my designer splitting a trade discount). ST sent samples of the base woods that show a cross section of the materials used, which look very solid and the finish on both the oak and walnut is beautiful. So far, working with ST has been great - everything is very transparent, options and pricing seems straight-forward, only real cost addition will be the shipping and delivery. Even payment is easy. Taking a bit of a leap of faith since I have not seen the end product anywhere beyond this discussion (and the ST website) but seems like a good product and company.

Has anyone recently gone through the process, had an installation? Any things to watch for or praise? Any cabinet selections you wish you had done differently?

• Chris Lew
    8 months ago

So far I’ve been loving my kitchen cabinets and bathroom vanity from space theory (I’ve had them for 10 months). It was very easy to work with ST team, and the delivery was smooth, and installation by my contractor was easy. The hardware is great too (soft close hinges). I’m still waiting on some handles which were back ordered due to quality issues (but ST is keeping me updated on when they are available). The cabinets looks as good as the day they were installed

• jmg597
    3 months ago

Update: Went through the design and order process, guided by a concept from a kitchen designer. The ST website has a lot of nice tools with the options and pricing, getting sample finishes is straight-forward. The ST designer developed a plan with my designer but things went off the rails at some point - the ST process is fairly structured and I think my designer was expecting a more iterative process and didn't appreciate how the pricing works (by listed cabinet component, so what was 2 wall cabinets became 6, and much more expensive), so I just took over working with the ST designer. The ST team uses some defaults for clearances behind cabinetry, which can be a challenge when you have a good idea what your tolerances are and they don't align (I have a U shape and their tolerances would mean less cabinet face than I currently have at the bottom of the U, and a smaller sink cabinet than I currently have - and what I have now is standard size and the house was built 12 years ago); they will make adjustments after cautioning you and you taking responsibility if they don't fit - I get why they have to do it but I would say that was not a fun part, it was like I was 16 again and asking my parents for something, having to make my case for it, and getting a lecture before they agreed to it. There are some cabinet options not on the website (or not evident), so be sure to ask about things. I wanted an appliance garage, which they have but it took a while to figure out the specifics of the option (are the sides finished? how do you address the seam between the appliance garage and and cabinet above it if it will be exposed?); I also wanted a blind lower cabinet but was limited on space so the website option with pull out shelves was going to mean a pretty narrow neighboring drawer cabinet - they have a more flexible blind cabinet with fixed shelves, so I got that with a narrower door and was then able to widen the drawer cabinet. Speaking of drawer cabinets, they like many are fans of those, so you may have to push a bit to reconfigure for blind corner cabinets unless you want to forgo using corner space - i know, drawers are great and all the rage but for me, using all available space is the priority. ST will work with you if your appliances aren't on their list - my new dishwasher isn't and they explained why and how to make it work, my new vent fan isn't but they got the dimensions and are making the cabinet so it will fit. If you are limited on budget, there are some ways to save - keep cabinet units to a minimum (example: 2 wall units can be pretty wide, so maybe don't add a shelf component and two cubbies, becasue it will turn into 6 components), I switched from a drop in cooktop over a wall oven setup to a slide in range so I don't need a cabinet unit there - that freed up budget for the appliance garage, check the trim and toe kick defaults - they add them per elevation regardless of the needed length so I didn't need 5x95" of each - dropped it to 3 each and that will still provide extra for mistakes. All-in-all, very happy I found ST (and this discussion) and wish I had found them sooner. Looking forward to stuff arriving and the install in March (18 weeks after order).

• Patricia Sanchez
    2 months ago

HI all, I am currently finishing up the design process for Space Theory. Im going with the natural walnut and smoke white for the uppers and part of the island. Anyone have the laminate finishes and are happy with it? We are also considering the opencase wall for an area next to the kitchen that will be a coffee area and a desk area with some of their cabinets and open cubbies. Has anyone used open case?