nicola_jane98

Remodelling downstairs on 1970’s semi

Nicola Jane
4 years ago

Hi,

We are currently looking to remodel the downstairs in our 1970s semi. As our last house was an out of town new build we have sacrificed space for location and we have also lost a lot of the modern touches that come with a new build.

I am looking to add a downstairs toilet and would love to incorporate a utility area.

There is a large hatch between the kitchen and dining area. I would love to have an open plan kitchen dining area and separate living room. There are large floor to ceiling windows at either end of the living/dining room and I will be looking to change the window at the dining end to patio doors and potentially change the back door to a window so that the kitchen can wrap around.

We have got a really good garden area, which is a sun trap (when it’s out) so although possible, I would rather not extend.

I’ve attached a floor plan from an identical property.

Thanks,

Comments (6)

• Carolina
    4 years ago

Hi, I can't see your floor plan. If you attach an image, wait until it's completely clear before you hit the submit button. You can perhaps still attach it to your original post, otherwise attach it to a comment under here.

• Danny Jay
    4 years ago

Wow. What a great space. There is so much you can do with this area depending on budget. I can help with the ergonomics and layout of your Kitchen and please have a look at my Bio to get an idea of how I may be able to help.

• PRO
    OnePlan
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Hi Nicola Jane,
    Is the attached wall on the sitting room side or the front door side ? As that will be useful to know for relocation of a loo ( soil pipes are the main consideration ) obviously adding a laundry and loo will steal space from other areas - so worth looking at the whole ground floor as a project - then you can weigh up seating areas/ eating and cooking areas/ the loo and laundry etc. Maybe some doubling up of amenities might help ... if this is going to be tailored to your family as much as it can be - might be worth hiring a pro to go through things with you in greater detail than is possible in a public thread- obviously you can see there’s more than one of our on here ! Why not contact some /all of us and find out more.
    Click on our names or icons to be redirected to each of our pro pages ! Happy Houzzing :-)

• Nicola Jane
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you OnePlan the attached wall is on the living/dining room side.

• PRO
    User
    4 years ago

You could easily open up the whole of back area and keep the living room separate, you can achieve this with right type of design.