webuser_111308112

install - correct way to transition between 2 tile surfaces

Agnieszka D
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I use word “correct” and not "best" because we are receiving conflicting answers from different contractors.

We are looking at replacing laminate (2 rooms) and carpet (2 rooms) with a hard surface. Install will be done on a slab.

Originally, we wanted to put eng wood, but we are not sure how it will hold up in our high traffic area (pic below) where living room carpet meets kitchen tile. It’s the only way to transition between our living areas (front door, living room, kitchen, dinette and a staircase) and probably gets stepped on hundreds of times a day (4 people).

So, we are thinking about next best thing -wood looking tile. I would like to have a new tile installed next to our existing 14” tile without any dividers. I think it will be a cleaner look. We talked to several installers about that and everyone seems to have a different opinion on that.

Contractor #1 ( who offers 1 yr warranty on install) said “no problem”. Well, he only offers 1 yr warranty. What if we have a install problem in 2 years (tile cracking)? We'll be out of luck and have to spend more $ ti fix it.

Contractor #2 (who offers significantly longer warranty said “no way. your concrete slab expands, and contracts and your tile will crack”. He suggested wooden T-mold or tile boarder (3” tile pattern). I’m not crazy about either one of those options. I’m not sure how wooden T-mold will hold up in the high traffic area (that’s why we are not installing eng wood), plus, he said that he may or may not be able to match the color of the T-mold to tile, depending on what tile we choose. If he doesn’t, it will look weird introducing 3rd material and 3rd color to the mix. Tile border, in my opinion will draw too much attention to our floor and pronounce the difference in our surfaces and giving away that are “wood looking” tile in not really wood.

Contractor #3 suggested Schluter bar (I'm not oppose to that) but contractor #2 said that “material is best use on walls, not floors because it is too soft and will scratch and dent in high traffic area”

What are our options? Who is right and who is wrong? We are looking at $10K+ and want to get it right. I don’t want to be replacing my tile floors few years from now.

Comments (5)

Sponsored