klmcdonald731

Help with DIY Project - Painting Antique Furniture

Kristen
5 years ago

Hi everyone! I've had a cute antique vanity and side table for 15 years and want to update them to give them a more adult, modern look. I am not good at DIY projects and don't know where to begin to make sure I do this properly. Every instruction or "how to" I find is taking a piece from bare wood to painted, but these have already been painted and are chipped in several places. I'd love some advice from someone who has upcycled antique furniture that's already been painted! Do I need to get all of the paint off? Just sand lightly? Is there a different type of primer I will need than if it was bare? Will I need an electric sander or just normal sandpaper or a sanding block?

I'd also love recommendations for primers, paints, and protective coatings. I want to do an antique matte black for both with brass hardware. I've added some photos to show my current white pieces and some inspiration for what I want the end result to look like!

Thank you!!!

BEFORE:

AFTER (HOPEFULLY)

I know these look more navy, but I want to do a true antique matte black. This is just for the idea.

Comments (26)

Sponsored