cwurch

Need Colour Suggestions for Master Bedroom!

cwurch
5 years ago

We are replacing the flooring in our bedroom in June and I’m thinking that now would be a good time to change our colour scheme in our bedroom. The walls are currently (for the past ten years!) BM Sundried Tomato. I’ve loved the deep colour and warmth that it brings. It’s also lovely with our honey pine furniture.

My ensuite is the same as when we moved in and it actually goes with our new whole house colour scheme of turquoise/teal, blues (BM Blue Echo and Smokey Green) and Revere Pewter. I think I’d like a colour that will flow better while maintaining a richness in the colour.

Would this colour that I'm attaching work with the furniture? I’m hoping to go for a more elegant feel but may be impossible to achieve as painting the furniture would be a marriage-breaker!

Comments (75)

• cwurch
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Kim k - what accent colours do you have with Knoxville Gray?

• Susan Davis
    5 years ago

Do your flooring/carpet first, then buy bedding, and choose a paint color from the bedding.......

cwurch thanked Susan Davis
  • Related Discussions

need suggestions for our bedroom

Q

Comments (44)
    I like second plan! That space will fit the wardrobe perfectly. Take all colors from the art. The colors can be lighter or darker than the colors you see in art. Take "Venice" with you to paint store and they might be able to help you choose good colors. Idea: paint four walls the same and see if you like that. If you feel the room lacks interest, then paint the accent wall. Choose a pale green that harmonizes with "Venice" and a darker green accent. Yellow + red accent White + blue accent
    ...See More

Need Colour suggestion for bedroom

Q

Comments (1)
    I found this for you
    ...See More

Need help to change the furniture of this master bedroom

Q

Comments (13)
    Unfortunately, I do not have a photo for you and have been unsuccessful in downloading my sketch. I think I can explain better what I meant. Your window behind the bed cannot be centered behind the bed and presently looks a little awkward. To remedy this, I suggested framing it with wood trim and creating another "fake" window alongside of it also using wood trim to frame it. Both the fake and the real window would get two rows of louvered shutters, a top row and a bottom row. Obviously, the lovers on the fake window would remain permanently closed. They are there only to give the illusion of another window. The shutters on the bottom half of the real window would remain closed, but the louvers would open to allow light and air. The top shutter could open to access opening and closing the window but most of the time, just have the louvers open for light and air. You will have created a bank of window that your bed could be centered under and I think it would look nice. I would use a headboard with wood or metal spindles that allow the light and air from the real window to pass through, yet give you something to prop pillows against. I must say though, if you did not want to do this, I love the recently added photo by Anne dee with white drapes, gray walls and some framed pictures that really help balance the awkward window. That was a beautiful room and looks a lot easier to accomplish than my idea. From your photos, I am not quite sure you have enough wall space to do it exactly like that, but I am sure you could experiment with the concept and come up with something lovely based on that idea.
    ...See More

Need A Design idea for Master bedroom that's functional

Q

Comments (3)
    Hello Lavanya, How old is the kid? You can surely place the study table for the laptop near the balcony . You can opt for sliding door wardrobe to save some space on the other end.
    ...See More
  • cwurch
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Flooring is ordered - we live in a northern (cold!!) climate and had to consider noise reduction, so we stayed with carpet. It’s a grey tone but with flecks of brown so very neutral. I‘m Just getting an idea of wall colour so I know where to start looking for bedding! Thanks for everyone’s help!

• emmarene9
    5 years ago

Just saw this bedding on Wayfair. Do not finalize paint color until you have the bedding.

cwurch thanked emmarene9
  • cwurch
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks for the suggestion, emmarene9! I also looked at these two duvet covers yesterday - looks like there is a lot of different ways I could go with Knoxville Gray! Would either of these work? I’d add

qua pillows/throw to add more colour.

• cwurch
    Original Author
    5 years ago

The first duvet background colour is almost identical to Revere Pewter which is in the foyer leading into our bedroom.

• cwurch
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hey Everyone! My husband is preparing to paint the bedroom on the weekend - I just need

to finalize the colour! I’m confident I’ll find bedding to match either of these colours but could you please help me choose between these two? Steep Cliff gray is just a bit lighter. Would Knoxville be too dark at night? I love a cozy room but don’t want to feel like it’s a black hole!

• PRO
    Elizabeth Minish Design
    5 years ago

Everyone is confident they will be able to find bedding to match their paint. Until they try. ALWAYS start with the most restrictive colour first, which in your case will be the bedding. It is a huge chunk of real estate in a master bedroom.

If you can't be convinced, let me just say that Steep Cliff Gray is very close to my suggestion which is HC- 161 Templeton Gray or the slightly lighter HC-162 Brewster. These look similar to the towels pictured in one of your shots and either will make your honey coloured furniture look fantastic.

Good luck!

cwurch thanked Elizabeth Minish Design
  • cwurch
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks Elizabeth! I'll take a look at your colour suggestions as well.

• cwurch
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Bedroom is painted! We went with Templeton Gray and we love it!! Now to find bedding... I’d love to have some suggestions for what could tie the mission style bed to a more transitional style.

• Kathy
    4 years ago

Color looks great.

cwurch thanked Kathy
  • cwurch
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Would something like this work?

• Kathy
    4 years ago

The color looks fine. Maybe add whites to bounce off the dark. White quilt layered with folded duvet on foot. Some white and other pillows. The picture is very modern. I’m not sure it works.

cwurch thanked Kathy
  • Susan Davis
    4 years ago
    Late to the party, but in your case I would definitely buy the bedding and curtains first and paint last! So easy to pick bedding you love which will be the dominant feature in the room!
    cwurch thanked Susan Davis
  • Amanda Smith
    4 years ago

I prefer the white bedding against the dark walls. Add colorful throw pillows, something with a little orange in it to complement the wood of your furniture.

• Amanda Smith
    4 years ago

cwurch thanked Amanda Smith
  • J J
    4 years ago
    following
  • cwurch
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks everyone for your input! I totally understand that I should have found bedding first but my dear husband unexpectedly agreed to paint our bedroom during his vacation week, which was right before he started his round of 33 radiation treatments on Monday (will last 6 1/2 weeks). In 8 weeks we are having our flooring replaced so we thought it would be better to get it done now. I had enough time to pick a wall colour (thanks to everyone here!) but unfortunately not the bedding.

I think what I'm struggling with the most is the style of bedding that will work. I have slowly transitioned my whole house from a traditional vibe with reds and greens to a transitional style with grey, teal, blues and greens and touches of chrome and glass throughout the house. Our bedroom set is mission country/rustic so I'm trying to marry the two styles the best that I can.

I'd like to stay light, mostly white with some teals/aquas and gray - will the gray work with the pine? Also, I'm thinking white panels for the window - should I go with a black or nickel rod?

Would it help to replace the drawer pulls? I also have a dresser and armour (same pine) in the room against the wall opposite the foot of the bed.

Thanks for your help!

• Kathy
    4 years ago

If you are keeping the crystal lamps, the nickel rod and white panels would be fine, and keep the current knobs. I think your comforter will be fine with the colors and accessories you are planning.

Does your bed have wooden side rails where you can eliminate the dust ruffle? You can cover the box spring with an extra sheet If it shows. That would give a more updated look as will layering the bedding.

Btw, wishing you and your hubby the best in the coming weeks.

• Pam K
    4 years ago

I love your paint color! It came out great. Kudos to hubby for volunteering.

Perhaps some of these bedding sets might work? Your feedback about what you do or don’t like about them will help us in looking for the perfect bedding :)

Alternatively you could go with a subtle neutral tone-on-tone patterned comforter in shades of tan, greige or grey, and tie back to you wall color with a lumbar pillow in the wall color.

Accessories and hardware choices tbd after bedding is chosen, bedding must come first and set the tone for rest of room! Then all other elements will be easier to select once you have a solid vision for where this room is going, and a jumping off point from the bedding. And it’ll become easier to balance what choices need to be made to make the existing furnishings look (more) intentional.

Best wishes to your husband during his radiation treatments, you’re in my thoughts for a speedy recovery and a strong support system during this journey <3

cwurch thanked Pam K
  • Brandy Smith
    4 years ago
    Are you against painting your bedroom furniture? I think white would really make everything pop!
  • Pam K
    4 years ago

Also heres a large swatch of your wall color. Since it changes depending on the light in your room pics, this might be helpful for others to search for bedding?

cwurch thanked Pam K
  • cwurch
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Wow! Thanks Pam! There are some beautiful sets there - I think I like the Farrah and the first Gwyneth the vest out of these - but they are all really pretty! I’m noticing that they mostly have beige instead of grey - should I be staying with beige rather than gray?

• cwurch
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I picked up this cover from IKEA yesterday - it fits my duvet as I just realized that my duvet is smaller because it is IKEA - but does this work? My husband actually likes it!

• cwurch
    Original Author
    4 years ago

It’s certainly more romantic and flowery than the rest of my house - but does that really matter?

• Amanda Smith
    4 years ago

Bright white bedding will really pop against that gray. And you can have fun picking out colorful throw pillows

cwurch thanked Amanda Smith
  • cwurch
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I’m scared of totally white bedding! With my three year old and my little dog who loves to sun himself on our bed I have a hard time imagining it would stay crisp white!

• cwurch
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I am planning on white panels for the windows though.

• Amanda Smith
    4 years ago

I have white bedding and a little dog on my bed. Washing it in Clorox helps.

• Amanda Smith
    4 years ago

The bedding, not the dog. Lol!

• Kathy
    4 years ago

Believe it or not, White is the easiest to maintain. If it is cotton it can be bleached. I like white mattlasse coverlets or blankets then fold the comforter at the foot.

• cwurch
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I found this comforter set today - the colours are a perfect match - thoughts?

• lbk01
    4 years ago

I like it! Good job!

cwurch thanked lbk01
  • Kathy
    4 years ago

It looks very nice. I like you removed the dust ruffle.

cwurch thanked Kathy
  • cwurch
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks Ibk01 and Kathy! I’d still like to put a throw with texture on the bed - what would look the best - white, aqua, dark teal or charcoal? I’ll find some bright white panels for the window as well.

• Kathy
    4 years ago

I think teal. I also love the white furry ones. Nice for napping during the day. I have many Restoration hardware fur throws and they wash up nice. It is the one item I like to buy from that store.

• cwurch
    Original Author
    4 years ago

After 2 months I’m ready to get back to finish up my room! I’m a teacher and June is always the craziest time of the year!

I’m turning my attention right now to my mirror over the dresser. We switched locations for the dresser and removed the matching mirror. We’d still like a mirror in our room so I’m wondering if this one that I’ve had in storage could work? I’d like to spray paint the frame and wondering if silver would be a good choice? Or would white be better? My curtain rod is silver but I’m not sure if that would be a consideration?

I’m also wondering what I should do with the light fixture? Should I replace it with something more decorative? Any of the light fixtures I’ve looked at look too much like bathroom fixtures. I’d appeeciate some ideas for that as well. Thanks!

• katinparadise
    4 years ago

following

• njmomma
    4 years ago

Love the wall color!

• Mary Beth
    4 years ago

Following

• njmomma
    4 years ago

I would put the mirror up and wait on painting it. That can be done anytime. I would continue with the room and the mirror trim color will come. The white circle on the wall, can that be painted?

Can you post pictures of the rest of the room?

cwurch thanked njmomma
  • cwurch
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks njmomma! I did post a picture of the bed a few posts back and I'll post another of the other wall a bit later today. The white circle on the wall is the current light fixture that I would like to change!

• Amanda Smith
    4 years ago

Good look!

• njmomma
    4 years ago

Not a Pro.

I see you have silver lamps. You can easily change out the hardware on the dresser and end table to silver. If you don't like it, more than likely you can return them.

If you like the look, then you can then decide to go silver or rub on some silver on the mirror.

cwurch thanked njmomma
  • njmomma
    4 years ago

Do you need the lamp above the mirror?

• cwurch
    Original Author
    4 years ago

That is the only light fixture in the room and one of the reasons why we moved the dresser to that wall. We used to have our large armoire against that wall which covered the light fixture completely (making it very dark in the winter getting dressed in the mornings!). Yes, we have lamps but it doesn't make sense to us to cover up a light source.

• cwurch
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Here’s a couple more angles of our room. My dream is to get rid of the armoire and bookshelf and replace with a full wall white built on cabinet but that will have to wait for a bit untill we recooperate from our full-house flooring makeover we just did!

i also have white curtain

panels that I’m planning to hang on a nickel rod.

• cwurch
    Original Author
    4 years ago

And I know you’re all going to tell me to get rid of the large needlework above the rocking chair! It’s a piece I did on linen years ago and I really like it but it doesn’t work anywhere else in my house with my current colour scheme!!

• njmomma
    4 years ago

I like the amoire and would keep it. Get rid of the bookcase. Add those white curtains on the silver rod.

Hopefully, someone will jump in and give you some design advice.

I would never tell someone to get rid of something they loved :-)

cwurch thanked njmomma
  • cwurch
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I’ve thought about getting rid of the bookcase but it’s where we keep our photo albums and cherished books. This is my getaway space as well when I need to have some moments to myself!

Sponsored