ked0505

Help Update late '80s fireplace!

ked0505
5 years ago

Moved into a home built in the late 1980's and would like to update the fireplace. This is our informal livingroom used to hang out with family and watch tv. Not sure whether to paint the brick, replace or paint/refinish the mantel and/or replace brass door. Open to any and all suggestions

a

Comments (9)

• Diana L
    5 years ago
    take the door off, spray paint it black with a Rustoleom spray paint ($3). Reinstall then see how you like it. We did this with our old fireplace and it made all the difference in the world. If you still dont like the brick try white washing it before refacing which is very expensive.
    ked0505 thanked Diana L
  • Diana L
    5 years ago
    take the door off, spray paint it black with a Rustoleom spray paint ($3). Reinstall then see how you like it. We did this with our old fireplace and it made all the difference in the world. If you still dont like the brick try white washing it before refacing which is very expensive.
    ked0505 thanked Diana L
  • Nancy R z5 Chicagoland
    5 years ago
    I agree with Kate. My first reaction was the mantle is too white to go well with the fireplace. it needs repainting in a more medium tone color--perhaps something that goes well with any wood tones in the room or else perhaps pull a color out of the fireplace bricks. Black doors would go well with the fireplace, although the current doors don't look too bad to me.
    ked0505 thanked Nancy R z5 Chicagoland
  • PRO
    Coates Design Architecture + Interiors
    5 years ago

I agree to spray the doors, white wash brick and paint mantle a black/brown color with some sheen.

ked0505 thanked Coates Design Architecture + Interiors
  • arcy_gw
    5 years ago

I see the white on the mantle refers to the white trim out of your home. Perhaps if we saw the entire room the WHITE of the mantle would not be so stark? I am not sure the mantle's design is your best option. A solid, rough cut timber might modern it all up quite nicely.

ked0505 thanked arcy_gw
  • PRO
    Norwood Architects
    5 years ago

I agree with others here - if you can replace the fire screen with a dark, cast iron screen or even a free standing dark screen that would freshen the fireplace up. Not so sure about painting it. Wouldn't want it to catch fire during use. There are some paints that advertise as being heat resistant for fireplaces. The mantel seems oversized and really overpowers the fireplace. The dental moulding makes the fireplace seem dated. Recently, on a personal project, I removed dental moulding from a fireplace mantle and replaced it with smaller flat stock moulding. It turned out pretty well and cut down the depth of the mantle to a better proportion. Painted brick is all the rage these days and it does look really nice in most cases. Just know that once painted brick can never be "unpainted". Good luck and please post after photos if you can! Would love to see how it turns out.

ked0505 thanked Norwood Architects
  • PRO
    Amber Homes and Design LLC
    5 years ago
    The white mantel above the fireplace looks really good. My recommendations would be to paint the whole fireplace in white wash color ( see product info below). Also, consider to refinish the existing brass fireplace doors with a new Oil Rubbed Bronze finish. The white wash fireplace and Oil Rubbed Bronze doors would go well with your current window treatments, accessories and existing wall color. Good Luck!
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Giani-1-pt-Whitewashed-Brick-Transformations-FG-BT-WHITE-PT/307567371?cm_mmc=Shopping|G|VF|D59|23-16_GARAGE/GENERAL+ORGANIZE|NA|PLA|Storage_Garage_Smart_Test|71700000046870082|58700004743231957|92700040279481705&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIrLbxkKCY4AIV24uzCh0vfQP-EAQYAyABEgKqaPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
    ked0505 thanked Amber Homes and Design LLC
  • PRO
    Scott Hall Remodeling
    5 years ago

First eliminate the gold and see how you like it

ked0505 thanked Scott Hall Remodeling