liisabb

Kitchen Dilemma

Bee
5 years ago
Would love some feedback on this kitchen and scullery design before its finalised for a new build. I’ve always wanted a scullery to hide a messy kitchen when entertaining and for a place to use blenders, juicers and all that sort of stuff. On the flip side there are the impractical aspects, such as having to do plenty of running around to get to the pantry or when filling/emptying the dishwasher. The space is 5 meters wide and 4.7 long along the laundry room wall.

My key must have features are: a large island (preferably same orientation as is) ideally without a sink, a splashback window, plenty of countertop and pantry /kitchen equipment space. Style is cross between hampton’s and modern farmhouse.

Should I scrap the idea of the scullery & pantry and just go for a big kitchen? What are your thoughts?

Comments (22)

• oklouise
    5 years ago

where does the scullery door lead to and what's on the other side of the kitchen? a view of the whole plan would help

• Bee
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Hi! The door just goes to the outside walkway area. Door is not vital as there’s access from the laundry. Have added another pic with more plan to show what’s in the vicinity. Thanks!
  • Related Discussions

Dilemma in freezing the plan..

Q

Comments (2)
    This is second option where bathroom has been removed from the front room from left hand side..
    ...See More

DILEMMA IN SELECTING OF KITCHEN HOOD/CHIMNEY!

Q

Comments (1)
    My go to hood is Vent-a-Hood for all of my high end kitchens. They are quiet, highly efficient, and different technology than any that you suggested above as far as the filtering.
    ...See More

Kitchen design dilemma

Q

Comments (0)
    Hi, Is the kitchen design ok or needs improvement.? The sink location and fridge etc? We also plan to make concrete shelves on south facing wall and the wall facing west. Request to suggest if it's ok or needs correction? Thanks
    ...See More

design dilemma.. ideas please

Q

Comments (8)
    Hello Deezpage, Before implementation take care of certain points, 1) In the master bathroom do you need two different basins + two different bathing area ( shower trey + bath tub)? Instead you can make it look bigger in size by providing the fixtures and fittings which you need. 2) Master bedroom wardrobe section --you can demolish the wall and provide wardrobe as a partition which will give more openness to the room and will be more effective from the interior point. 3) I agree with cornerstone about changing the kitchen door position and shifting it on the dining room side which will be convenient for the person working in the kitchen and will give a finished look in the foyer area. 4) For the laundry area you can use the upper side for the storage and lower area for the washing machine. 5)Kitchen requires more detailing then other rooms. My suggestion will be to consult a professional instead of planning on your own. For any king of help, you can feel free to contact us.
    ...See More
  • dreamer
    5 years ago
    My suggestion would be to remove external door. Remove scullery and pantry. Step back the entire kitchen. Still having a window splash back. Have your sink, cooktop, oven, fridge on back bench and one sidewall. Replace scullery with a compact butlers pantry, similar to photo, on the other wall. With reducing the space used by scullery, it will increase your living area. This would allow for more room for island and stools, without encroaching into living area. Thanks.
  • Bee
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thank you Louise and Dreamer. I like the flip and access to laundry as well as the narrow shelves. I also like the idea of the narrow butlers pantry. I’m not sure if utilising the other two walls for cupboards, fridge, oven, sink etc would leave me with enough room for a narrow butlers pantry. One thing I do need to think about is keeping cost down and maximising what I can get. With having a separate scullery, I could use laminate in there and stone in the main kitchen.
  • Sunny Day
    5 years ago
    I'm with Louise. The linen cupboard seems to me to be in an odd place, I think her rejig makes sense. Also I think regardless of the Schuller the dishwasher needs to be right at the spot where people will remove their plates to, therefore it needs to go in the island bench.
  • oklouise
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

the access through to the laundry is intended to make it easier to work in the kitchen while doing the wash and also adds more light into the scullery and main kitchen... you could also consider a highlight and/or splashback window in frosted glass behind the stove and, by removing the walkthrough between linen and laundry, there could be extra two way storage and access to the laundry through the scullery

and, working from dreamer's suggestion, a combined laundry scullery with the skinny pantry wall on the kitchen side could create a more spacious kitchen with more economical combined laundry and scullery

• Bee
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Hi Sunny Day & Louise. Great comments and suggestions. Regarding the laundry, I realise I didn’t mention I’ve asked for the laundry to be updated, as I didn’t want the entry into that room off the hallway. Instead access will be via the kitchen one side of the laundry is laundry shelves behind sliding doors and the other is cupboards with a broom cupboard opposite the door. I’ve purposely lest about 0.5 meters behind the door as that is where the rumba vacuum and cat litter box will sit so it’s partially out of sight as door open. Ultimately will have litter box in a cupboard. So, those two little walls will be gone. I’ve attached my mock-up.

Regarding the dishwasher in the island, I do like that idea. In terms of entertaining, I guess one would throw the dirty dishes in the scullery and stack end of party. This still involves going back and forth to load dishwasher, but in both of your experience, is it better to do that or have dishwasher in scullery near sink?

Louise, prefer the first plan with keeping scullery and laundry two distinct areas. With a frosted window as a splashback window in the main kitchen, how would that look? I like the idea as it lets more light into the main kitchen. I had toyed with just a normal window, but then obviously you’d see the mess. :)
  • me me
    5 years ago
    I like Louise's flipped plan as it means only one door to the outside. And going from kitchen thru laundry to outside is easy when you want to put out rubbish.
  • MC Hamilton
    5 years ago
    I've just finished a big reno and now have a scullery and made many changes to get here. I love it but there is extra walking.
    Everyone lives life differently so all personal choices but need to think about how it will work. In the morning if everyone needs to get a plate/bowl and cutlery then get cereal or toast and get milk/butter and hopefully put them all away and into dishwasher will there be congestion in the pantry and will you be making lunches at the same time and will it work for you. How about unloading the dishwasher, plating up dinner? More stuff to thinking about! I also have a window in my pantry that looks onto the pool and I raised the window about 30cm from bench height so you can't see the back of my appliances from outside. Not sure what yours looks over. I ended up with main dishwasher in kitchen and a dish drawer in pantry for parties and a small sink and bin. My main sinks are extra deep so I can hide dishes in there as well! As mentioned shallow shelves are great.
    Good luck with it all.
  • siriuskey
    5 years ago

I had already done my floor plan when I read the details about not wanting to enter the laundry from the passageway , but still think it works with all the needs you listed, ie: cats and cleaners etc.

This floor plan doesn't have a scullery but a sink and small appliances behind bifold doors that open from the middle. the doors are 30cm wide so that they don't protrude out into the room. The bifold doors are set out to the same depth as the base cabinets to allow for a full size sink, small appliances can be set up and used on the bench top. Open shelves above the bench are 30cm deep. There's are wall of narrow pantries on the opposite side of the kitchen.

Sinks, cook top and dishwasher can be placed to suit.

• siriuskey
    5 years ago

• D Morrie
    5 years ago
    I’m having a very similar dilemma, to bullets pantry or not? I love the idea but seems hard to balance butlers pantry with open plan. Following your comments.
  • oklouise
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

i wouldn't like to work in a closed in space and my pantry is only for items that could easily be stored in drawers or cabinets for a more open feeling...i find that the dreaded corner base cabinet is ideal for larger occasional use appliances and my every day used appliances included kettle, toaster, stand mixer and food processor live on the bench with space designed for the purpose...i'm not concerned about guests seeing appliances left on the bench ready for action and for big dinners with lots of mess i stack dishes in the nearby laundry and wash up next day but it really depends on how we each prefer to work and the family that's usually using the space...siriuskey's floorplan is closer to my ideal although i'd have the combined scullery laundry with access through the kitchen and something like this

• dreamer
    5 years ago
    Hi liisabb, I have drawn up my thoughts from my original post. In your original post, you have said you would preferably like the island in the same orientation as plan posted. With my thoughts the island will change. Looking at kitchen on left hand wall, I suggest a full enclosed appliance cupboard, pantry, storage area. With sliding doors, as per photo. If you must hide your dirty dishes, put them in there and close the doors. I have put the dish washer in the island, with easy access to those dirty dishes. Back wall is a window splash back with sink and cook top. Left hand wall is wall oven more storage and fridge. With door to laundry as per your revised plan. This kitchen gives you plenty of bench space, place to put and use appliances, hide dirty dishes, easy access to dishwasher as per your original brief. The reason for open plan is to be part of your gatherings. In my opinion I would not like to be stuck in a butlers pantry/scullery preparing meals, when my friends are in my kitchen. Thanks.
  • siriuskey
    5 years ago

And another with butlers pantry, it can have extra fridge freezer, sink and dish drawer toaster coffee machine MW and any other small appliances, great place to make

breakfast. You could have glass window splash back in this space to fill it with light

• dreamer
    5 years ago
    You could also have an under bench oven with cook top, therefore having more bench space on fridge wall.
  • dreamer
    5 years ago
    Sorry just another thought. Since the laundry backs onto a bedroom, I would put the washing machine etc on the kitchen side. Put the sliding linen cupboard on the bedroom wall. This is for less noise transfer.
  • Bee
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thank you all for your feedback and drawings for both the kitchen and laundry! Some great ideas which I like! I’ll now look at all these options and will use the best of every suggestion to incorporate in the floor plan. Who knew this would be so challenging. :)
  • dreamer
    5 years ago
    Hi liisbb, all the best for your design. Have just added some photos of what my thoughts were for pantry,appliance storage option with sliding doors. Thank you.
  • Bee
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Hi all,

I wanted to thank you all for your assistance! I thought I’d share the end result for you to see.
  • PRO
    Moss Furniture
    4 years ago

This is the perfect outcome for your design dilemma. I would change the scullery to have a sliding cavity door rather than a swinging door? Other than that I think this design suits the space and you will be very happy with your new kitchen.