houzzindia

Share Your Favourite Diwali Moments & Win a ₹2000 Gift Card----CLOSED

HouzzIndia
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

What does the Festival of Lights mean to you? What you like most about the festival? Do you have a cherished memory related to Diwali? Share your thoughts with us - 3 lucky winners to receive an Amazon Gift Voucher!

To enter the competition:

• Comment below with your relevant answers ( It could be anything ranging from a cherished memory, your favourite part of the festival or even your favourite food indulgences!)
  • 3 lucky winners to win a ₹2000 Gift Card each!
  • The competition closes at 12 noon IST on 19th November.

Go on, open up your heart!

By entering this competition you are agreeing to our competitionTerms and Conditions. For any queries feel free to leave a comment! All the best and a very Happy Diwali from all of us at Houzz! :)

Comments (29)

• Prachi Newadkar
    5 years ago

For me Diwali is all about spending time with my FAMILY. All my relatives from different cities gather at my home to celebrate. We play games like damsharas and antakshari. We all enjoy dressing up in traditional attire and then clicking numerous selfies and most importantly the Annual Family Photo. Everyone shows their own talent like singing and dancing. The best part is that we encourage each other to set goals for the next year. Health and Academic goals are set for the next year. I look forward to Diwali every year and hope that this never dissappears from our culture.

• Swasti M
    5 years ago
    Diwali is always fun for me but big disaster happen few years back. So few years back I was working in Chennai and my hometown was Kanpur. I booked train ticket from Chennai to Kanpur for Diwali, which was online waiting ticket in AC. My bad luck it didn't get confirmed and as per IRCTC rule online waiting ticket get cancelled and I got stuck.
    Staying in Chennai was not an option for me, I have to be in Kanpur. So I start looking for all other options and guess what waiting everywhere or very high tariff.
    Reaching Chennai to Kanpur by direct train not possible so I took different approach. I booked Bus from Chennai to Bangalore ~ Train from Bangalore to Bhopal ~ Train from Bhopal to Jhansi ~ Train from Jhansi to Kanpur.
    Diwali morning I reached Kanpur. It was crazy travel but I was happy that I was able to be there on time. it took more than 2 days to reach my hometown but worth it. Traveling solo like this was actually an adventure for me.
    Every year we do same things on Diwali but because of this crazy diwali journey to reach home is the most memorable one for me.
  • Sharmishta Naik
    5 years ago

Well diwali is my favourite festival. or me diwali is festival of happiness and sharing of love . And now talking about favourite diwali moment . I just love making rangolis and cliking the picture with my family. And worst moment in diwali is that i just hate cleaning the house. Its too much irritating and playing firecrackers i dont like it all

• HU-264716958
    5 years ago

I love diwali coz i get to go away from Hyderabad and be home with my

• PRO
    N Design
    5 years ago

The best part of diwali is to recall everyone who made our year beautiful and sending them gifts..also receiving gift from the one who made this diwali so successful.. festival full of lights, colour and celebration

• PRO
    Prasath
    5 years ago
    Nowadays due to our work place, business our parents living mostly our native place in deepavali we have to go our native place if we celebrate with our parents that is hart full satisfy our parents if our face is bright then their faces also bright so pls try to do next year I am doing like that past 22 years after my marriage also my parents very satisfy pray for me in my life I have to do in my whole life
  • Cedric Thomas
    5 years ago

• Roopa Shenoy
    5 years ago

Diwali lighting

• HU-24311874
    5 years ago

Diwali is

• Swati Nair
    5 years ago

Diwali has always had great memories for me since childhood. Of fighting over firecrackers with my little brother, of a steady stream of family friends dropping in with sweets and delicious homemade food, and of our house lit up with a small lamp in every corner inside and outside.

There are two Diwalis that particularly stand out in my memory. The first one is the time when my cousins and I were able to get together after a really long time. It was a family reunion and it happened at my aunt's place in Mumbai. It was one of the happiest of times as we held home parties where we danced to the latest songs, ate the signature dishes of all our mothers, and talked and talked late into the night.

The second one is when two of my dearest American friends visited India and experienced an Indian Diwali for the first time. It was so, so magical for them! They couldn't believe that we could simply walk out into the street and buy firecrackers whenever we wanted as that's not done in the US. They experienced for the first time the buzz and sounds of Diwali, and the pure enjoyment it brings to people. For me, seeing their joyful faces was priceless.

Diwali will always be fun but these two years are close to my heart.

• Manish Verma
    5 years ago

There are some childhood memories in a corner of my heart which make me happy every time.

Diwali started by pestering dad to buy firecrackers. And of course, we got the long lecture in return on “it means literally burning money, beta!”

While at school or college, breaking the rules and lighting up firecrackers in the washrooms was a must!

The burning of firecrackers started from Dhanteras itself. But it only included the smaller crackers like the Bijli bomb and phoonk bomb.

The daytime used to be unbearably boring for me on Diwali.

Lakshmi puja was very important, but not for us!

Finally, meeting our buddies outside the house and pitching in our share of firecrackers was the greatest joy ever!

But somewhere we always used to long for the time when we'd be allowed to light up the big bombs, like sutli bomb or aloo bomb.

Even after Diwali night, there were no withdrawal symptoms for us, because the remaining fireworks would go on till the next few days.

• Richa Verma
    5 years ago

Diwali means a lot of different things to different people, but one thing that everybody can relate to when we talk about the festival is memories. We all have very special memories. Such as there are some childhood memories in a corner of my hearts which make me smile on every Diwali.....

When mom ask me to get cleaning, the old things like clothes, toys, books etc make so happy.

bursting crackers with my neighbourhood friends. Demand to dad for phuljhadis and chakris and annar.

Diwali meant loads of holidays from school and that was the best part.

Getting hand on new dresses.

The thrill to see different types of crackers colour the infinite sky cannot be described in words.

Eating the sweets and dry fruits reserved for guests was the best feeling ever.

Create beautiful Rangoli and as simple as puja was a grand feast.

• HU-491703025
    5 years ago

Diwali has always been my favorite festival.... The positivity in this festival is amazing... I love to dec my house with beautiful lights, homemade lamps and beautiful rangolis... I enjoy making rangolis and get an extra energy while making it..... Diwali brings all my family member together anfand I enjoy the togetherness of my own people, my family...

• HU-426580766
    5 years ago

Deepavali is one of the favourite festival from my childhood, this time me and my hubby came to my mom home n celebrated deepavali by lightening Diyas and had fun with crackers. Firing crackers is one of happiest moment in life putting rangoli worshipping goddess Lakshmi and having festival special sweets I love deepavali

• Aarti Naidu
    5 years ago

I think Diwali simply reassures me that we thrive in a community, that we yearn for beauty and seek light and brilliance. It reminds me humbly that we exist to share this light; it could be in the form of love, knowledge, positive energy , care and so on. But the art of living is in giving. And growing. Wish you all a very happy Diwali!

• HU-7944374
    5 years ago

we have moved to our new house prior to Diwali, so that we could celebrate the same on Diwali. Shopping for the new home and setting up the new home and lighting it up for the occasion was something we had always dreamt of. so this Diwali was really special for us. We decorated our new home with our heart and enjoyed it fullest. Starting fresh and that too on the festival of lights was a dream come true. With the blessings and love of our loved ones, this year Diwali will always be special one for us.

• Mayank Rao Shelar
    5 years ago
    diwali is not just a festival of lights but a festival of togetherness . Every diwali there is lot of masti ,enjoyment and family drama gossips are there . New dishes ,lots of sweets , new dresses every day rangoli making . Diwali is awsum ,I love it because it brings happiness to all faces.
  • HU-321954551
    5 years ago

The reason why the above diwali was memorable because Diwali is a beautiful festival- a festival of light... My style of celebrating Diwali is to be someone's light.

Don't burst crackers or don't buy crackers for kids. Instead, give someone from your neighborhood a helping hand. 'Give a loan of books and stationary' to a needy child. (Ask her/him to take a promise to pay back the loan by 'giving loan to another child' after s/he grows up and begins earning.)

Instead of setting your money on fire with your own hands, you can light a lamp of education in someone's life.

Diwali in a rational way and a deserving child will get a helping hand because of little thoughtfulness.

And that's how I celebrate diwali and make it a memorable one.

• Neelam Garg
    5 years ago

First of all a very happy and prosperous DIWALI to you and ur members..
    DIWALI, popularly called Deepavali in some parts of India, is a festival which I long for every year. The preparations for Deepavali start long before the festival date.
    First, the excitement for me would be the new dresses that are bought to be worn for Deepavali. Apart from this all elders visiting us buy us sweets and dresses also. Jeans, T shirts, Trousers and shirts were all bought for me by my parents.
    The other major excitement for Deepavali is the bursting of crackers and fireworks.This year I will burst lot of crackers but only eco-friendly. Earlier I used to be afraid of crackers. Now I have got over the fear of bursting crackers. My parents tell me that I have to be very careful while bursting. I followed their advice and there was no fire accident also.
    The third rejoicing aspect of Deepavali for me is the eating of sweets.We visit relatives and friends with sweets and snacks. They also visit us with sweets and snacks. We seek their blessings on the festival day. Gulab jamun, Laddoos, Halwas and Kaju cakes were my favorites.
    My grandmother tells me that the victory of Good over Evil is the reason for this celebration. She also says that the festival is to mark the return of Rama to Ayodhya after his defeat of Ravana.
    In all, I can say that Deepavali is the brightest festival to be celebrated in India.According to me,the delicious food associated with the feast makes us feel that this festival must come more often in a year.

• HU-37654644
    5 years ago

After returning from my magisterial duty to home,I rushed towards market with my spouse for puja purchasings.While moving in the market ,I asked my wife to hurry as puja timings was soon to close.Suddenly I found my wife away from my sight.I searched her every probable place and after getting frustrated,I sat at a place.I felt a hand on my shoulder and found her standing behind.I furiously asked as where she had been.She told that she saw an old man sitting beside a temple and asking for alms but he was getting ignored by all.Sall.She just took some time from my companionship ,went to the old man with a packet ofbiscuits,two rasgullas and some coins.This made me speechless.I then said to my wife,"dearest,you have done the real puja..there is no hurry for puja timings now.I really feel proud of my wife who experienced me the best Diwali of my life!!!

• PRO
    Prasath
    5 years ago
    This type of opportunities God will give selectively those who can able to do
  • HU-321954551
    5 years ago

Here is the Diwali stories

I believe Diwali is not just about our own celebrations. Diwali is about spreading happiness. A lot of street children just wish to be happy on Diwali but they can't afford to. So this Diwali, I wanted to bring some happiness to these children's faces who lives in a slum area; who cannot even have 2 good meals a day; to those who don't even have any new clothes to wear in Diwali; to those who don't even have money to buy sweets; and those who don't even have any diyas to light up their hearts and homes. If I can make these children happy, that means I am really celebrating a happy Diwali. So I celebrated my wonderful Diwali with these underprivileged children by giving some nice gifts like a box of chocolates, a box of candles and some sweets and I shared my happiness with these beautiful children who deserve it, yet who don't receive anything.

• PRO
    HouzzIndia
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks everyone for sharing your beautiful experiences with us! Andd...the lucky winners are:

Sarita Kumawat

Aarti Naidu

Mayank Rao Shelar

You will receive the gift cards on your email addresses associated with your profiles!

Thanks,

Houzz Team India

• Aarti Naidu
    5 years ago

This is awesome! Thank you so very much HouzzIndia team! You made my day!

• Mayank Rao Shelar
    5 years ago
    thanks a lot for the lovely gift. And I would appreciate houzz work.
  • Aarti Naidu
    5 years ago

Congratulations Mayank and Sarita!

• Sarita Kumawat
    5 years ago

TTThank

• Sarita Kumawat
    5 years ago

Thank you so much

Thanks