trent_smith83

HIA Contract (Did your builder provide Itemised breakdown?)

Trent Smith
5 years ago

Hi All,

Just wanted to see if your builder provided a breakdown costs of items in your contract.

As an example we have asked for a few things such as wardrobes & bulk heads etc.

We would like to have an itemised break down so we can work out what we could remove and do later on. Builder states that no builders do this sort of break down and wanted to check

Comments (6)

• Linda Maguire
    5 years ago
    Hi dreamer, Im in WA also, sounds like you had a brilliant builder maybe you should give them a mention so those of us looking for a builder can check them out.
  • dreamer
    5 years ago
    Hi Linda1, yes, we were very pleased with our choice of builder. However, we knew what we were after, and how we live. The most important info I can pass on, is to double, triple check all the drawings and selections. There were a couple of things that were omitted or changed along the way, but because we were diligent in checking every item, they were put back on drawings. We also compromised when required. Because of this diligence on paper, the build went as planned, and on time. There were no hold ups, because the builder (APG) and ourselves were working from the same plans, with the same vision for result. I absolutely enjoyed the process and gathered a wealth of information. We started the process in dec 2013 and moved in July 2015.
  • PRO
    Paul Di Stefano Design
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Trent, what that builder is telling you is rubbish - they could provide whatever breakdown & information you are requesting if they want to.......but some just don't want to or can't be bothered......the best builders will disclose information and be completely open, honest and transparent as to the components and the margins - the dodgy ones won't open their books because they don't want you to see what's going on, and usually this indicates there is something they'd prefer to hide.........

Builders/trades are masters of manipulating the owner. That's a generalisation and of course there are the rare good ones, but they are harder to find than the rest of the bunch - I've seen it and heard it all :)

Good luck and if your about to jump into this stage of the game make sure you have your BS meter charged up...

Cheers PD :)

• Linda Maguire
    5 years ago
    Thanks dreamer, its good to know we have some great builders in WA. I think its important to be clear about what you want but also willing to compromise when needed.You obviously put a lot of effort in to choosing the right builder for you with a great outcome, well done.Hope you enjoy your home for many years to come.
  • PRO
    de.arch
    5 years ago

Agree with Paul Di Stefano. All builders should be able to do this. A rule of thumb we use is if they aren't transparent before the build starts, the're likely not to be throughout. This is a definite warning sign. This makes the process unnecessarily difficult.