rohit_buty

How can we bridge the gap between architectural education & practice?

RnD Atelier
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

There is a huge gap between the education at architectural schools and the practice of architecture in India today. How do you think we can bridge this gap?

Update the curriculum
Encourage team work over ego and collaboration over competition
Include allied legal, financial and managerial subjects
Encourage individual creativity and critique
All of the above

Comments (2)

• PRO
    AVB ARCHITECTURE
    5 years ago

The simplest thing will be that the faculties should be practioning architects as well as professors. There is a wide gap between the bookish curriculum and the one which is going outside in the field. The study should be grounded to the regional feasibility and how things are actually practised when you get into the field. There were great structures built but one should also study the whole process of design approval in each design, like what was the need, who were the clients and what they demanded, how did the architect come to build the said thing. The one miss in education I find is that the architects face difficulty running a business and that too should be a part of the architecture degree curriculum.

• PRO
    RnD Atelier
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks for putting in your opinion. Even I strongly support the notion of a practical training curriculum. At the same time, I would really appreciate if architectural schools organize guest lectures by inviting various contractors in the field - plumber, electrician, false ceiling guy, carpenter etc. They are better equipped with what goes on at the site than say a lecturer with no site awareness (since many architects join colleges to teach design immediately after graduation or post graduation and have hardly ever worked on the site).