friendofgod87

Does brand matter for quartz countertops?

B H
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hi All,

First time poster here: does brand matter for quartz countertops? I am in the process of replacing my formica countertops. I know I want quartz and it was my original intention to go with one of the big brands (Cambria, Silestone, etc.). I found a local stone place that comes highly recommended by many in my area. It turns out they have their own line of quartz. It seems to be quite a bit cheaper. ($52 a sq foot for 3 CM quartz, installed. Includes removal of my old countertops, sales tax, and my choice between 5 different edges). Is there any reason why I wouldn't want to go this route vs a bigger brand?

FYI, the product comes with a 15 year warranty and the website says the make-up is 93% quartz.

https://atlasquartz.com

Comments (7)

• mayflowers
    5 years ago

Find out if it uses Breton technology. If so, it's the same as every other major manufacturer, including Cambria. Not sure why anyone cares if it's a family-owned company as it's just another corporate enterprise. Warranty is similar among all of them.

• PRO
    Kitchen West
    5 years ago

Many of these less-expensive quartz manufacturers such as Hanstone have had recent quality issues and our local fabricators prefer not to work with them. I am not familiar with Atlas, and would recommend researching the brand more. Consider asking where they import their quartz product from, as this pertains directly to the quality and longevity of the product. Hope this helps!

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    5 years ago

Fabricators can buy no-name engineered stone in bulk, save a ton of money, sell just under the big boys, and pocket the difference by building their own brand.

• mayflowers
    5 years ago

Quartz doesn't have a sealer. It's quartz particles in a polyester resin binder.

• artemis_ma
    5 years ago

In short, brand DOES matter. I read up on the rationale for Breton technology when I was hunting my countertops down, but afraid I can't remember (since I no longer need to) -- but Google will be your friend... Somewhere on the Web there is also a list of all quartz manufacturers that utilize Breton technology. THIS is what matters. Beyond that, it's largely what they have in the pattern and color you want.

• B H
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks all.

I did a stain test using ketchup, curry powder, pencil, and pen. I left all four for 24 hours. The ketchup came out completely, but the other three leave discoloration after I tried cleaning with a wet paper towel. However, I don't know if this is expected to be the case for white quartz of any brand. What kind of cleaners would you recommend?

I have a sample of white Silestone on the way. I plan to run the same test and see what types of results I get.

Sponsored