rahul_singhal92

Help me in choosing better plot!

Rahul Singhal
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hi everyone,

I am about to buy a plot but I am really confused between 2 plots. Both plots are of almost same rate.

Below I am giving you more details of each:

First Plot -

North-East Facing Corner Plot

Plot Size - 720 Sq Yards (6500 Sq Ft.)

Dimensions- (20.1m X 30m)

It has got 5m Green belt on both side.

Second Plot

East Facing Plot

Plot Size - 968 Sq Yards

Dimensions - (18m x 45m)

It's one side open.

It has 5m green belt on front. (18m is front).

Below I am attaching location details of both plots:

Both plots are located in almost same locality. There is not much difference in locality. As far as built up area is concerned - I think it will be same in both. I am totally confused as first plot is smaller in size but there is 5m green belt available on both corners and it has got more front too.

Regarding price it's almost same. Though 2nd plot is slightly costly but that difference is hardly 5-6% of total price.

On the other hand, second plot is one side open but it is larger in size. What do you think? Which plot is better? I personally love corner plots a lot as it looks better (in my opinion). So what do you think? Is it really worth sacrificing 250 sq yards of land for taking a corner plot.

I know there are some really experienced architects on Houzz. So I want to know about your opinions that in which plot more beautiful house can be built.

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,

Rahul Singhal

Comments (16)

• Rahul Singhal
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I was expecting some detailed replies :/

• PRO
    Cornerstone Design Studio India
    6 years ago
    Hello Rahul,

There is no doubt that a corner plot provides you more open space.

However as per your details, there is a difference of 35% land area available at the same price that too in the same locality. It's a subjective choice but if I had that dilemma, I would likely choose the row plot at this much difference.

Thanks,
    Nitin
    CORNERSTONE DESIGNS, Bangalore
    Rahul Singhal thanked Cornerstone Design Studio India
  • Related Discussions

Experts opinion required - which plan is better? Pictures attached.

Q

Comments (42)
    Since the lot you describe is smaller than my open living area, I would suggest looking at some of the "shotgun" house plans around New Orleans,LA. I think you can build up and back and get an interesting home with a loft for space. It can be done, A porch with an entry to a narrow hall at the back might work best for you. Will you plan a courtyard (closed)? or what? What part of the country are you in? What are your local codes?
    ...See More

Help me decide floor tiles people!

Q

Comments (21)
    I am assuming you haven't finalised your wall colours and colours of any other fixed elements. In case you have finalised your color scheme you would need to see which of these colours blend well or complement with that scheme. Assuming none of this info is available, then you could look at the neutrals which go with all colours. The white tile and the 2 colours at the end would be preferable. If you want color on the floor as well as drama, you can choose from the 2nd options from both sides or even the 1st from left.
    ...See More

Need help in choosing laminate for kitchen

Q

Comments (6)
    Hello Pete, It is indeed tricky to select the laminate from small sample patches. We feel it is often misleading as the small section is just a 2 inch piece cut out from a 8ft x 4ft sheet. Depending on your location you can do either. Check on Merino website .They would show images of the full sheet and if you are lucky even real life application of the same. Another option is to visit the Merino depot. Your designer would be able to book the visit for you. Thanks, Nitin Cornerstone Designs Bangalore.
    ...See More

Help me decorate my living room :)

Q

Comments (83)
    that is what i have added if you can see the pic above.. want some suggestions on partition that i can use between dining and sitting
    ...See More
  • Rahul Singhal
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks to both of you for your opinion.

I would like to add one more thing (Though I added that thing but looks like you guys missed that point.)

It has 24m wide facing road on both sides. So it has got huge (5 metre green belt on both sides) of the plot. (Plot 1 - Corner Plot)

or maybe I am using a wrong term for this green belt. I am attaching a screenshot below for more clarity.

Please check above screenshot. By greenbelt I am referring to this green area surrounding the house. Though note that in above image that green belt is hardly of 1-2 metre.

I calculated that green belt area of first plot (corner plot), it came out to be of around 330 sq yards. So if I add that area to my plot area it makes it equal to 1050 sq yards. On the other hand, area of green belt in second plot is around 107 sq yard.

First Plot Area including green belt = 720 + 330 = 1050 Sq Yards.

Second Plot Area = 968 + 107 = 1075 Sq Yards.

I know technically it's not my area and I can't do any construction on it except creating entrance stairs and car ramp but considering the fact that the built up area will be same in both plots I can use that green belt area to place some refreshing trees on both sides of the house and place gamlas on the boundary of green belt (I saw a corner house doing this and it was really soothing).

So what's your opinion now? I am totally confused.

• PRO
    Ravi Prakash Architect
    6 years ago

Dear Rahul,

Going through your above mentioned query, it appears that you have a very deep love for Nature which is great.

And you are very right when you say that a corner plot provides much possibilities of doing something out of the box.

Built-up area of any home is considered by the requirements of the family members who will be living there. So overall it is going to be the same in both the cases for you,

As you are getting both plots at the same price you must realize that Plot 1 is smaller in area plus its a corner plot so if you see things with a appropriate perspective, Plot 1 is having a higher land value, which will remain same in the future also as compared to other plots.

Coming to my perspective as an Architect;

First, i believe both plots are good as per Vastu considerations as East is common in both but Plot 1 is having north too which is the best side to bring in that indoor outdoor relation you are looking for. (If its in India.)

Second, Any home is not just the area we are living in but also the area we are surrounded by. In Plot 1, you get double opportunity for everything; green belts, balconies, windows, facade and even the walkway parking.

So if I was in your place I would go with Plot 1 as I am myself a fond of nature and corner plots.

Hope this will help you a bit.

Good luck and share when you make your final decision. :)

Regards,

Ar. Ravi Prakash

Rahul Singhal thanked Ravi Prakash Architect
  • Rahul Singhal
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks a lot @Ravi for your detailed opinion :)

• PRO
    6 years ago
    Hello Rahul,

May be the image shared is not to scale but the black bold line doesn't appear to be 5 m wide , considering that the corner house is 20 m wide. It appears to be 2-3 mtr odd.

If it is 5 m wide then you are lucky and already living in a jungle/park with 5 + 5 metres of yard in the entire neighborhood and to add to it you also have 30-40 metre of backyard parks marked in green for both the plots. Greenery wouldn't be a luxury in this community then.

Do you know what is the FSI and setback rules of this community. If for example FSI is 2 then the area that you are going to live in will differ substantially between the two plots.

No one would disagree with the looks of a corner home being better and airy specially if it's open from 3 sides. For us function prevails over design anyday , but as I said it's a subjective choice which would vary for individuals :) Hope you make the best choice.

BTW , just curious, which builder/city is having this 5 mtr front yard.

Thanks,
    Nitin
    CORNERSTONE DESIGNS, Bangalore.
  • Rahul Singhal
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hello @Cornerstone Design Studio India

No. I don't have any idea about FSI. I will try to learn more about it.

Regarding the size of green belt, I have confirmed it from the patwari that Plot 1 has got 5 metre green belt on both sides. He told me that:

All plots with 24 metre facing road are having 5 metre green belt whereas plots with 12 metre facing road are having 2.5 metre green belt. (It's 4 or 3.5 metre in case of 18 metre road, I don't remember exactly).

About that bold line, I am sure that it is not representing width of green belt. (Check below image as that bold line is having same width for 12 metre facing plots).

So what do you think now? Should I become that lucky guy to own plot 1? Check out whole map and there are hardly 3-4 corner plots which are having 24 metre wide road on both sides. (and there are just 2 plots having North East direction) whereas there are around 50-55 plots which are similar to Plot 2nd.

About your query, It's Suncity Township - I (Sector 35, Rohtak). It's around 45 kilometres away from Delhi border.

Would you please mind elaborating this point a little bit more - "For us function prevails over design anyday". If built up area is going to be same in both plots then how it affects functionality?

Thanks a lot for your detailed input.

• PRO
    6 years ago
    Hi again,

Well, you have made up your mind then go for it, the positioning the vastu is good for plot 1. You will have a home that will look bigger.

FSI indicates the built-up ratio permissible on a plot.

So, if a plot size is 2000 sqft. and the FSI of the area is 1.5 it implies that a maximum of 3000 sqft. (2000 x 1.5) of built-up area on the plot is permitted. In other words, this will allow you to build a two-storeyed home with 1500 sq.ft. area on each floor.

As you have two plots with different areas the difference in the usable or let's say built-up area will increase with FSI. If I am not wrong, it should be 1.6 in your case. Hope it is clear now that the bigger plot will become still bigger (in function) with that.

If a smaller built up area will serve your purpose go with the corner one. It is quite good plot and you will have a lot of visibility there.

Thanks,

Nitin
    CORNERSTONE DESIGNS Bangalore.
  • deepak thakur
    6 years ago
    hello, I am planning to build a house on a plot which has roads towards south and west. plot size is 3600 sq ft. need advice on the vastu aspect , especially the front opening of the house, I am attaching the dimension and orientation of the house. Thank you in anticipation
  • PRO
    Ravi Prakash Architect
    6 years ago
    Dear Deepak,

S-W orientation is considered worst while considering the Vastu Aspects and architectural aspect also as temperature is very high in this zone.

But there are always solutions.
    S-W is most suitable for master bedrooms and storage. Heavy built-ups should be in this zone plus the highest structure should be in this corner as well as it helps to control the temperature in other living areas.

Entrance is another major aspect of vastu and should preferably be in East, So it has to manipulated in the layout. So your main gate would be in South road but your entry door would be in east.

There are many many other things, which I may not be able to express here. For now hope this will help you a bit. :)

Let me know if you need more insights onto it.

Regards,

Ar. Ravi Prakash
  • Libra
    6 years ago
    Dear Deepak, the good thing of this plot is the NE corner is extended. RestMr. ravi has commented.
  • deepak thakur
    6 years ago
    thank you Ravi and Libra. may I please have your number so that I can discuss the matter over phone.
  • Rahul Singhal
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you all for your detailed inputs. I bought first plot yesterday :)

• PRO
    6 years ago

Congratulations from Cornerstone family!! Wish it brings a lot of luck and happiness to you!

• PRO
    Ravi Prakash Architect
    6 years ago
    Congrats and Good Luck Rahul :)
    Rahul Singhal thanked Ravi Prakash Architect