staceta

2x8 construction?

Stacethedreamer
10 years ago
Can anyone point me towards info on the environmental benefits of 2x8 construction (including a description of what it is)? Thanks!
Port Ludlow House · More Info

Comments (5)

• PRO
    FINNE Architects
    10 years ago
    Hello,
    Thanks for your question regarding 2x8 construction at our Port Ludlow project. We have been using 2x8 wall framing instead of 2x6 for many years. There are several environmental benefits. First, is the extra insulation value: we insulate exterior walls to R-30 instead of the R-21 available with 2x6. On a percentage basis, that is a 42% increase in insulation value, resulting in considerable energy savings. Secondly, the 2x8 Construction allows us to detail completely concealed shade pockets above windows in all west, south, and east walls. The shade roll is invisible since it is contained in the wall above the window.
    --Nils Finne, AIA
  • Stacethedreamer
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks Nils - I should have also said that your house is gorgeous, well done!
  • Flannel Flower
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    This is a really beautiful home. Congratulations. We have something very similar in mind (but in reverse). There is so much about your design and choice of materials, right down to the his and hers offices and use of corrugated metal siding, that we like. Especially love the roof/extended eaves, which is particuarly relevant for our East North East facing block on the Central Coast, NSW, Australia. Would you please tell us the name of the metal siding used and its colour ... the smaller ribbed panels look like Mini Orb? Many thanks, Megan. Congratulations again :-)
  • PRO
    Realtor
    10 years ago
    Can you tell me the width of this house.
  • barchy
    10 years ago
    Could you please tell me the wood species and treatment for your gorgeous soffits?