jenniferhutton

Need guidance: panel ready SubZero Built-in overlay (flush) design

I have read and re-read the installation requirements for the Sub zero built-in 48" refrigerator. My cabinets are overlay styled doors. I want the fridge unit doors to be flush with the cabinets on either side of the fridge...IE not to extend beyond the cabinets and no frame showing. The cabinets NOT inset, but overlay shaker style.

The guide says that the depth needs to be 26 3/16 for flush installation with cleats on the interior of the panel (When looking at photos, it is presented with inset cabinet doors which mine are not). Other photos show the fridge with overlay extending out past the adjoining cabinetry which is not what we want. My cabinet maker seems as confused as I am and want to make sure the correct custom sizes are used for the panels construction. Can someone please assist? Thank you, thank you.

Comments (24)

• Sammy
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Is this a new

BI-48SID/O

or old fridge? Please post the photos and link to the instructions you’re referencing.

Jennifer Hutton Interiors thanked Sammy
  • PRO
  • cookncarpenter
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Built-in is not the same as fully integrated.
    If you want the flush no see um look, you need to be be looking at the integrated models, not the built-ins.
    For a 48" application, that would be two 24" columns, or an 18" and a 30".

Jennifer Hutton Interiors thanked cookncarpenter
  • 2ManyDiversions
    6 years ago

Following, and I'm not understanding either. The photo in the image of the link provided shows the doors as being flush to the base cabinets. We saw one on display - same exact model, and yes, listed as BI for Built In, but again, it too was flush, the cabinetry doors were flush. Link Again

Jennifer Hutton Interiors thanked 2ManyDiversions
  • 2ManyDiversions
    6 years ago

Oh, I see... Installations

If you are using flush inset, it has the Integrated look. Otherwise, nope.

2 manuals there, flush inset installation and built in installation. Hmmm.

• 2ManyDiversions
    6 years ago

Jennifer Hutton, you CAN do a flush installation which will look integrated.... however, you need to have minimum 26 3/4 inch depth. Look at the installation manuals again - the Flush installation manual. You'll see you need a wider area to install the fridge, instead of 48" width you need 50" wide cutout to make it flush and there will be cleats and a filler (it's in the manual). If you are going with 24" deep base cabinets, you can't do the flush installation unless you are able to knock out your back wall and still have room for plumbing.

We have pre-paid for this fridge (but can change our minds) and are doing the 27" deep base cabinets, so we can do the integrated look with a flush installation, and still use the full overlay cabinetry as planned.

Hope this helps - and hope we are seeing this correctly. Just review the manuals, it's there.

• PRO
    Jennifer Hutton Interiors
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Yes We anticipated having to make deeper cabinets to line up with the fridge. Having installer come out in two days to walk me thru this in person! I am a visual person and the manual just did not do it. I am NOT looking for the integrated look, just want the face of the fridge doors to be in line with the overlay shaker cabinet doors. Thank you for all the assistance, much appreciated

• Heather
    6 years ago

I was told to have the doors made after the rest of the cabinets and appliances are installed. So we’re doing that. I hope everything fits perfectly.

Jennifer Hutton Interiors thanked Heather
  • rych
    6 years ago

I think you want the look my cabinet maker came up with, he called it 'hybrid', because it's not the normal overlay and it is not flush inset. I really wanted the flush inset look, but for reason I don't remember now, he didn't want to install a built-in to look like an integrated. I guess it would look weird as all the cabinets are overlay style. Anyway, I told him I don't want to see the metal frame and I want to fridge doors to line up with the overlay cabinet doors. So he came up with this.

• PRO
    Jennifer Hutton Interiors
    Original Author
    6 years ago

YES! So how deep is the fridge cabinet. I appears that rather than doing it to the prescribed 26 3/16 depth, that he either shortened it by the thickness of the panel or just had the installation not push it all the way in. One additional question, was it possible for the surrounding panel to have been made thinner so that the fridge would be a 1/2 inch closer to cabinets had you requested it?

Thank you so very much. this really helps!!! Look forward to your reply to the above questions.

• _sophiewheeler
    6 years ago

The fridge sides are also done deeper so that the standard counter can die into the side panel. You will need to angle back any adjacent counters that protrude beyond the side panel. Or add fillers. Or you will get damage to the fridge cabinet panels.

• rych
    6 years ago

the cabinet depth is 25 1/2", I think you can make the frame thinner, but because I have panel on both sides of this whole unit, the side panel is 3/4", and the frame is also about 3/4", so he made the center piece the same thickness as the end piece, so the frame around the fridge will look even. good luck!

• PRO
    Bonelli Design, LLC
    5 years ago
    Rych-did you use the standard width installation or did you have to make opening wider similar to flush inset instructions?
  • JF JFroject
    5 years ago

Hi, why not a Gaggenau or Miele for a clean flush look if paneled same as cabinetry. But then again, I have Gaggenau Full length Columns Fridge Freezer and Wine Cooler and not not hiding them behind panels. The pics above with individual panel on each and every surface of the fridge looks choppy and “not current”. It gives the fridge an “armoire” look.

• 2ManyDiversions
    5 years ago

I believe everyone has different aesthetics, thankfully. Someone, I can't remember who it was but here on GW (perhaps Fori?) and they were attempting to find a panel ready integrated fridge that fit in the space and offered options they wanted, said "If I can find my refrigerator, it's not done yet!" This made me laugh out loud, and I also agreed. But not everyone wants to 'semi-hide' their appliances behind panels. I do. It fits our home's style, which if someone wants to call it "not current" I consider that an opinion.

• Sylva Leduc
    4 years ago

I know this is an old post but am stuck trying to figure out how to make a KitchenAid 42" panel ready built in fridge flush with cabinetry. The depth is 27".

2ManyDiversions can we use the same methodology of having a 1/2" clearance all the way around to make it look flush?

• 2ManyDiversions
    4 years ago

sageviews... short answer is I have no idea. Longer answer: I'm not familiar with Kitchenaid built-in models, so I can't say for sure, but...

It's not so much the depth with a built-in, or the space you allow beside it, as it is the hinges on the refrigerator door. While you could leave a 1/2" clearance all the way around (and please don't let anyone tell you that looks bad, many current refrigerators require that space, and lots of people have them and it sure doesn't bother them) - your doors may still jut out a bit. Depending where you live and your personal tastes, this might be perfectly fine, or it might not suit you.

Sub Zero realized a while back that integrated (flush with cabinetry) was becoming popular, so their built-ins, which are not true integrated, had hinges that operated in such a way that the door does not need to extend beyond the cabinetry beside it to open completely. Thus, if someone had the depth and space, they could install the SZ built-ins very similar to an integrated... flush with the cabinetry. I don't think Kitchenaid did this with their built-in hinges. You'd really have to go look at them, and inquire. The easiest way to tell is to take a piece of flat wood (a 1 x 8 or a small piece of plywood - or even a stiff notepad), hold it just beside the door - flush, and open the door the way. Does it hit the wood? If yes, you can't flush install. Is that horrible? If one really wants panels but can't find integrated or it's beyond the remodel budget, no, I don't think so. Just my opinion.

It's kind of hard for me to explain the difference in hinges, but the SZ's allow the door to open in place, it does not need side-room. I can't tell by looking at Kitchenaide's site, but I'm pretty sure they require a non-flush install. Basically, the difference is this:

SZ built in flush inset:

sub zero flush inset installation - Google Search · More Info

kitchenaide built in flush inset:

kitchenaid 42 panel ready refrigerator - Google Search · More Info

Hope whatever you decide, you are happy with it : )

• Sylva Leduc
    4 years ago

2ManyDiversions, thank you so much for your thorough and thoughtful response. Yes, SZ has the articulated hinges and KA has the original style. Guess I'll have to be satisfied with the KA style since we don't have the budget for a SZ. At least I'll have panels and not have to look at a giant box of stainless steel! :)

• 2ManyDiversions
    4 years ago

That's the spirit! And the right attitude : ) I'm glad you said 'satisfied' and not 'settle'. I know panels vs. SS is also a personal preference, but one likes what one likes.

• pkvkking
    4 years ago

Jennifer, what was your solution? I have the same situation and want to make sure that the panels on my subzero are flush with my cabinets which are overlay style not inset. Thank you.

• 2ManyDiversions
    4 years ago

pkvkking, look at rych's pic above of his. We have ours installed now, flush inset, with flush inset panels (which is what rych's are) with overlay cabinets. But we don't have base cabinets beside the fridge so it wasn't a big issue - which is where it'd be noticable. rych's example is good and shows what you can do if your SZ built in allows for a flush inset installation (should be in the documentation). Note if it does, it has the hinges which articulate and your countertops may be flush with the surround. The doors won't hit them.

• PRO
    terrihayes
    3 years ago

Does anyone know if you can do flush inset without having to widen the width opening? I’m using the BI-42S and dont have room for recommended 44” width opening

• Suzanne Giomi
    last year

From what i understand you have to add 2 inches to the width (ie 44” for a 42” fridge). i have talked to SZ extensively about this. the overlay doors (stainless or cabinet) will be slightly wider than the standard door (about an inch or so) and then there will be a 1/2 reveal on each side that will be partially hidden due to the cleats you will install a few inches back. does that make sense?

Sponsored