kalcium1234

Can we replace 10" duct with rectangular rough equivalent in vent hood

Kalcium
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hi - I'm planning on installing a 1200 CFM vent hood (possibly ModernAire) above my 48" range - I know the recommended vent size is 10" - however, can this be replaced with a vent which has roughly equivalent cross section area but isn't 10" in diameter?

Comments (6)

• mtvhike
    6 years ago

I'll let the pros weigh in, but I think it's cross section should be somewhat greater (a round tube has less resistance than a square tube).

• sktn77a
    6 years ago

Are you trying to vent it through a standard 4" (actually 3.5") interior wall space?

• Kalcium
    Original Author
    6 years ago

For now I think the idea is we will go up to the ceiling, then straight into through the ceiling joists to the outside wall. So I don't think we will be moving vertically through walls, but if we decide to vent to the roof then we may have to do so...

• PRO
    Victory Range Hoods
    6 years ago

If you need to use a rectangular duct for a blower that produces 1200CFM, you will need to get a duct that is either 8" x 10" or 9" x 9". These sizes aren't too common so you may need to get it custom made in your case along with a customer transition to go from 10" round to either of the two sizes above (assuming your hood starts with a 10" round duct). If you try connecting it to a rectangular duct that is small that what I just described then you will most likely cause more air resistance which will produce more noise and likely reduce the actual CFM you are able to produce.

• Kalcium
    Original Author
    6 years ago

great - thanks for the insight!

Sponsored