bkdoshi

Best Compact Washer / Dryer Stackable

Bijel Doshi
10 years ago
Hi Houzz Community - I have a small cabinet in my kitchen that houses my now dead washer dryer. The condo came with one of those old-school "laundry center" units that is compact but makes me feel like I'm living with the Brady Bunch. We'd like to replace with a stackable pair, but our dilemma is that our cabinet is only 29" deep. If I leave a few inches for venting, I need a unit that is only 26" deep...I can't really find ANY. That's where you come in, any recs on the best compact units? Ideally we want a gas dryer, but I've found the smaller units are only electric. We REALLY don't want to take the cabinet doors off because if the units stick out we think it takes away from the kitchen. ANY help is much appreciated!

Comments (14)

• PRO
    Sargent Appliance
    10 years ago
    Asko make some of the smallest laundry pieces I know of. W6424 is a 23 7/8 deep washer and matching dryers are available. They are stackable as well. I will say that these pieces are not inexpensive. They are a European made product. Please make sure that they are serviceable in your area.

I hope this helps!
  • Sigrid
    10 years ago
    Look for apartment models. Sometimes you can order them from places like Sears, even if the only things on display in the store are gargantuan. (I've lived in Europe for 2 decades and appliances are a lot smaller. One bedroom apartments designed for singles in America have bigger dishwashers than the family size in Europe).

If you don't live in a humid place, you can live without a dryer. I do. In the winter, the dry air dries my clothes and in the summer, I hang them outside. Occasionally, a warm, rainy week in late spring or early fall challenges me, but I put off buying a dryer years ago and realized I could live quite well without it. It saves a lot of electricity. You want to invest in a decent clothes line, which is probably not what you will find in the average American store.
  • apple_pie_order
    10 years ago
    There are some 27 inch deep laundry centers on http://www.ajmadison.com/b.php/Laundry+Centers/N~50

Try removing your current laundry center, measure it, and see what the connections are like behind it.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    I had same one replaced many years ago with Kenmore from Sears it's a front loader washer. It's great.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    I didn't have to replace doors. It fits perfect. The dryer is electric but drys every thing In less than 20 mins. It's a star energy, so got tax credit on taxes.
  • Bijel Doshi
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @travis did you get another laundry center or did you get a front loader kenmore stackable?
  • zennifer
    10 years ago
    I have a tiny Bosch, and had a tiny Danby stacking set in that size. The Bosch is from their Axxis line; different sizes in that line. We have the smallest.
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    There is nothing like sleeping on line-dried sheets! If you have high ceilings, you can do a drying rack on a pulley system and let the warm air-flow to the ceiling dry for you on icy winter days.
  • nanners1
    10 years ago
    I chose a stackable front loading kenmore for my 760 sq ft home. I also have it in my kitchen. I chose this set up thinking I'd rather replace one appliance vs two if one broke down.
  • PRO
    B R Pollock & Associates
    9 years ago
    I heard that Speed Queen is making them now. Anyone have details ?
  • PRO
    Total Spaces Design
    8 years ago

We recently installed a very compact set from Blomberg. the client is so happy with her new laundry set.

• Michael
    8 years ago

I have the Blomberg washer and heat pump dryer and my wife loves it. I find that the European washers are less harsh on clothes. This heat pump dryer may take a little longer to dry but the clothes come out dry (not hot) and there is a lot less lint in the filter.

• tamarares
    7 years ago

Has anyone had has anyone had experience with the Bosch 300 series washer & dryer? (24 inches wide, 25 inches deep) would love to hear your experience!